Forum for snow- and landkiters
wreknball
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush snowkite

Postby wreknball » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:38 pm

Craz Z wrote:God do I wish you could pump up a paraglider there would be zero concern of a collapse thats for sure
Come on CrazZ, that's just silly.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:28 am

"Here's waynes crash that had nothing ta do with the kite. Defective bar that were also installed on foils " I really dont feel that my bar was defective! I had literally 200 sessions on that kite! It was my fault all the way! The leaders wore in a spot that was not that obvious to me. wayne

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:01 pm

Thats fine wayne, but even still there was a bar recall at that same time that had a direct correlation to the problem you experienced. the bar rubbing through the leaders causing premature failure.

Again tho your video shows that no matter the kite tube or foil there are still issues that can result in injury especially when attempting gliding or free flight with a kite. Just cause a foil has many attachment points opposed to a tube that may have 5 there is still a great deal of concern with other parts of the kite as your video clearly points out.

Its foolish at best trying to compare a kite to a paraglider they may appear to be similar looking, but one is for free flight and one is not.

All it takes is one attachement point to break and your coming down hard no matter what kite your on.

wreknball
Frequent Poster

Postby wreknball » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Craz Z wrote:Thats fine wayne, but even still there was a bar recall at that same time that had a direct correlation to the problem you experienced. the bar rubbing through the leaders causing premature failure.
You are mis-informed, that recall was for one bad batch of bars and it had nothing to do with the leader line attachment points.

Craz Z, you are always the first to point fingers at others for high-jacking these posts, but you keep getting off topic by rubbing people the wrong way with your abrasive attitude. The original poster wanted to know about the Airush Snowkite and before anyone with some actual knowledge about the Airush Kites could respond. Here you are with your personal agenda saying there is "no such thing as a snowkite". It just causes problems when you are always so quick to prove your point on these threads. It's always the same point too. No one is buying it. Quit pointing fingers. I mean your opinions are welcome, but your attitude in expressing them on the forum keeps rubbing people the wrong way. I hope you can figure it out.

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:01 pm

wreknball you really need to stop your crying. You cant read someones attitude by what is typed on a forum. He may just be a direct person with a strong opinion, and just because you dont agree with it you call it abrasive.
I was thrown off another forum because i was said to have an "abrasive attitude". I just didnt agree with" peter lynns are god gift to kiting" and was strong with my opinion about it. I fly LEIs and will give my opinions about it directly. If you take that as abrasive maybe you shouldnt read forums. You might be to sensitive to what is typed here.
It dosent bother me if someone dosent agree with me, i sure as h'll dont agree with some, but i dont fester and cry about it. Forums are here to voice you opinions, whatever they are.
Wahhh your abrasive! Wahhh I dont like what you type! Wahh your off topic and you have an attitude!
Wreknball you need to harden the f up. Its a forum on the internet.

Oh and that was attitude!

wreknball
Frequent Poster

Postby wreknball » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:50 pm

Your way off snobdr. We all pretty much know each other. That's a funny story though.

And you can read someone's attitude by what they type on these forums. It's called rhetoric. It's been around since ancient Greece.

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:37 pm

thats a funny way to bust your buddies balls.

Rehtoric
The art or study of using language effectively and persuasively.

Soooooo
maybe if we were all writers we could understand each other????

How about if i said
wreknball is a great guy!
Am i saying you really are a great guy or....
am i being sarcastic and really think your an a hole?

Hmmm cant read sarcasim?

What if i used some american slang

lent my buddy a few clams to get his kite.

Might be misunderstood by some just as i might not understand those from other places.

Like i said you cant read someones attitude by what is typed on a forum.

flyvan
Medium Poster
Style: FreeRide - Backcountry

Postby flyvan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:17 pm

yes, pump kites work well on the snow... with all the limits of a pump.
It's ok till when you play in the "parking" doing your little jump here and there...
but if you start to use the snowkite for what it is, going in backcountry, you will need only foils kites.

In my experience i sew people using pump kites with me, they had problem with:

- really low wind... could not take off... the kite is too heavy;
- to one of them had exploded the kite in the first crash 'cause of the cold (-20° / -25°) (it was not a bad crash... just went nose down landing)
-bring a pump with them, because if the wind change they need to pump another kite
-very long time to set the kite.... and when it's cold it's not nice to not move and eating the cold
-need to operate without gloves... in low temperatures your finger will not work after 5min. and also after you set up your gloves, the fingers will not get warm again (when it's cold) (-20 / -30)
-the kite loose air 'cause the cold... need to re inflate twice or more during the day.
-are not the best choice in the super strong wind... not easy to land, not to take off, and if you activate safety system it will be so hard to fix back your lines.

So

I will never use a foil open cells in the water as much i will never use a pump on the snow.
it's exactly the same thing. it's limiting the sport. otherwise why they make different kites?
Other discussion is if you want to "play" to snowkite and in that case you can use also a plastic bag.
But being a short harms (money saver) it's doesn't mean you make the best choice.
Everything has his right use.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:56 pm

flyvan wrote:really low wind... could not take off... the kite is too heavy
If its that light why fly? With different kites of both nature i've seen the same thing equally between the two. Some Lei's fly some foils fly but if its that light its best to stay home.
flyvan wrote: to one of them had exploded the kite in the first crash 'cause of the cold (-20° / -25°) (it was not a bad crash... just went nose down landing)
Seen the same thing happen with a foil entire rib inside ripped to shreds hopefully the new blowout preventers fix the problem. Plus at -20 kiting isn't the dangerous part the cold is. Again stay home frostbite can cost life and limb.
flyvan wrote:very long time to set the kite.... and when it's cold it's not nice to not move and eating the cold
Again a compressor makes life sooo easy. you can leave everything attached unwind and go. There is virtually no lag. Also one session of a foil tangle can cost as much time as pumping a big kite by hand. bowtie, collapse, invert all cost time to fix.
flyvan wrote:need to operate without gloves... in low temperatures your finger will not work after 5min. and also after you set up your gloves, the fingers will not get warm again (when it's cold) (-20 / -30)

You can leave the gloves on to do all the same and if you leave attached lines when folding a lei you don't have to take off your gloves. Again at minus 20 i wouldn't be wearing gloves rather mittens and my session would be cut short by how cold it is.
flyvan wrote:the kite loose air 'cause the cold... need to re inflate twice or more during the day.
Sounds like a leaky system never had that problem or seen it. unless you leave struts inflated in warm car and move to the cold.
flyvan wrote:are not the best choice in the super strong wind... not easy to land, not to take off, and if you activate safety system it will be so hard to fix back your lines.
By strong wind do you mean gusty wind foils don't do well in strong gusty winds not much fun to fly in either way. Launch and land are a snap if you have experience with doing so. If you activate the safety on either kite neither is easier then the other they both need to be staked down while you address the problem.
flyvan wrote:I will never use a foil open cells in the water as much i will never use a pump on the snow.
it's exactly the same thing
You found your preference good for you. Doesn't mean its the only way or what works for someone else.
flyvan wrote:Other discussion is if you want to "play" to snowkite and in that case you can use also a plastic bag.
But being a short harms (money saver) it's doesn't mean you make the best choice.
Everything has his right use.
There is no such thing as a right or wrong use of kite as there is no such thing as a snowkite. Kites are made differently for different reasons and different people ride different kites as to what they like doesn't make them right or wrong. If it flys you will have fun doesn't matter what you choose they are the same.

flyvan
Medium Poster
Style: FreeRide - Backcountry

Postby flyvan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:19 pm

Craz Z wrote:
flyvan wrote:really low wind... could not take off... the kite is too heavy
If its that light why fly? With different kites of both nature i've seen the same thing equally between the two. Some Lei's fly some foils fly but if its that light its best to stay home.
flyvan wrote: to one of them had exploded the kite in the first crash 'cause of the cold (-20° / -25°) (it was not a bad crash... just went nose down landing)
Seen the same thing happen with a foil entire rib inside ripped to shreds hopefully the new blowout preventers fix the problem. Plus at -20 kiting isn't the dangerous part the cold is. Again stay home frostbite can cost life and limb.
flyvan wrote:very long time to set the kite.... and when it's cold it's not nice to not move and eating the cold
Again a compressor makes life sooo easy. you can leave everything attached unwind and go. There is virtually no lag. Also one session of a foil tangle can cost as much time as pumping a big kite by hand. bowtie, collapse, invert all cost time to fix.
flyvan wrote:need to operate without gloves... in low temperatures your finger will not work after 5min. and also after you set up your gloves, the fingers will not get warm again (when it's cold) (-20 / -30)

You can leave the gloves on to do all the same and if you leave attached lines when folding a lei you don't have to take off your gloves. Again at minus 20 i wouldn't be wearing gloves rather mittens and my session would be cut short by how cold it is.
Ok, about the first answer... and if the wind slow down when you are far away? the difference is to come back by kite or by sliming on the snow... :)

about the second point, it's the most beautiful time when temperatures are so low... and i love to kite on that. but you choice to stay at home when it's cold, stay at home when there is not much wind... it's seems you don't kite so much. maybe you should try some foil and discover what is snowkiting.

about your nice compressor... and if the spot is not exactly beside the car, but maybe you have to walk 3-5-10min in the forest? :) ok, you are only speaking about snowkiting parking i understand, but people love to use snowkite to make small trips ... not like kitsurfing, staying right and left of the beach. Snowkiting is not kitesurfing on the snow!!! and this also makes that the kites are different.

You said you sew 1 kite foil broken... you are very lucky. i see many foils flying in low temps and never 1 broken... and in the opposite, i see really few Lei and one broken, one didn't fly, 1 the owner was crying because i left too long his gloves to handle the pumping holes... and always so long to wait for them when switching kite size... it comes dark!

but no one wants to force you to fly a foil... make what make you feel better and you are free to think that in the future it will be only Lei on the snow... because it's the best choice.
....but this will never happen because you're wrong. sorry.

"like to use a ferrari on dirty roads... yes you can, but it's not the meaning".

Return to “Snow / Land”