Forum for kitesurfers
KiteRunner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crandon Park/Miami Beach
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Cabrinha vs. Slingshot?

Postby KiteRunner » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:41 pm

I’ve been riding a cabrinha switchblade for the past three years. (I actually own two) I am in need of a new kite and been looking for some options. Not to insult cabrinha in any way, but I get the feeling that cabrinha has been using cheaper materials in their new models. I am not a professional in any way, and I am raising his strictly on personal opinion from the “touch and feel” on the new models I see on the beach. I may be completely wrong on this.

I’ve been looking at the RPM or Rally as an alternative and would love to get some feedback from anyone on it and also some comparison of the RPM vs the Switchblade.

Thanks.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: Cabrinha vs. Slingshot?

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:37 pm

Ooooh, these posts are fun! The arena is built, the lines are up and KR is throwing the two heavy weights in the ring to fight it out! :boxing:

I don't fly Cabs so can't comment on changes in quality in recent years. From friends who fly both brands - they both seem to be at the top in terms of quality. In my experience (flying SS, examining Cab) , the SS bars are simpler and more solid. I hear of a lot of folks buying SS bars to use on other kite brands, but I've never heard of anyone buying a Cab bar for a non-cab kite. I'm sure it's happened, I just don't hear about it.

This season I'm enjoying the Rallys. I find you have to pry the RPMs out of owners hands. They don't seem to want to leave them for another kite...or let you use theirs. :) Only criticism I've heard from people who have left the RPM is it has a narrower wind range. I don't know if that's true, just what I've heard. There are Rally threads on here discussing it's performance- have a look at those and the 2011 SS Thread.

The SS kite quality has been consistent for years and the customer support is top notch. You have an issue...call your rep or the SS rider service line and they hook you up fast.

A have a couple friends who ride Switchblades and I get the same reaction from those who ride RPMs. The SB seems to be a kite that makes loyal owners who come back each year for the next revision.

I'm sorry if this reply didn't give you a definitive answer. This is all I have from personal experience. Demo.

Also, you didn't say if you are getting a new kite or looking to changeover your quiver? If you just want to add a kite, I'd stick with the same brand/model. It is easier to jump from kite to kite as conditions change if they behave similarly. Also easier to interchange bars and other parts as needed.

KiteRunner
Medium Poster

Postby KiteRunner » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks Captain,

I actually had problems with both of my Cab bars so your comment regarding that is correct. One of my bars is pretty much out of commission now, and Cab can't/won't fix it since they upgraded to the new IDS system and cannot support the old model bars anymore. (Or maybe they just want me to buy a new kite...) So now I have 2 Cab kites but only one bar that I can use. Therefore, getting the same kite again for the benefit of compatibility of the bars with both kites is no longer relevant. The Cab kites themselves have served me well, and maintained a very good condition. I have no complaints about that kites themselves...only complements. Switchblade is definitely a good kite, and I know that Cab has really good customer service as well. The question is, will SS serve me better.

I will wait for other feedback, but am leaning towards the Rally right now.

Thanks.

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby experienced1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:00 pm

kiterunner:
what's wrong with your bar, the one that is out of commission? assuming it's a 2008 SB3 bar..last one before the last IDS bar? And what's wrong with you other bar..assume it is the same vintage.
steve

KiteRunner
Medium Poster

Postby KiteRunner » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:15 pm

experienced1 wrote:kiterunner:
what's wrong with your bar, the one that is out of commission? assuming it's a 2008 SB3 bar..last one before the last IDS bar? And what's wrong with you other bar..assume it is the same vintage.
steve
I will send you an IM on this...

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:52 am

Kiterunner:
The grass is never greener on the other side, or better the devil you know than the one you don't.
I am a cab man myself and have tested lots of other kites (not the SS).
I will not move.
Nico

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:31 am

For durability and great customer service, you can't beat slingshot. Only reason I stopped buying them is because I have found better wave kites. If you are into the wake style, maybe slingshot is the way to go. First kite I owned was a Cabrinha. Let just say I will never buy one again due to the durability(could have just been a bad batch). I also rode a friends 2008 Contra and another friends 2009 Crossbow. Bar pressure was to heavy for my taste and I did not like the bar. However, I know two really good riders who love their Switchblades and will probably never buy a different kite.
One thing I have learned in the 3 short years I've been riding with kites is not to be too brand loyal and don't always believe all the hype. There are some other/new brands out there that may suprise you. Not just with the quality, performance, and price, but with excellent customer service as well. :D

KiteRunner
Medium Poster

Postby KiteRunner » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:03 am

Nico wrote:Kiterunner:
The grass is never greener on the other side, or better the devil you know than the one you don't.
I am a cab man myself and have tested lots of other kites (not the SS).
I will not move.
Nico
Appreciate the feedback Nico, but if you haven't tested the SS, I don't think you can really give me any feedback regarding it. :D

I know Cab makes good kites. There is no question about that. I am just evaluating both kites right now, and asking people that rode both, or any that switched from one to the other.

Thanks.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:52 pm

I have both. But I have to run and catch a plane.

I have the Cab 10m SB
2 SS RPM's 10-12

I'll type more later

First where do you want to go in the kite world?
Free Ride
Free Style
Old School
Wave

Ask yourself that first!

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:46 am

Too true kiterunner.
Any reason why you are shouting it though ?
Nico

Return to “Kitesurfing”