Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Coche Island, Punta blanca Ocean Club: how is it?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Pascale
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Coche Island, Punta blanca Ocean Club: how is it?

Postby Pascale » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:21 am

Hi,
I'm considering a trip to Coche.

My partner doesn't kite (yet) :wink:

We both like really quiet places like Cayo Largo where there's not much to do.
I'll be kiting but I wonder if Coche is a good place for a non-kiter. I mean, if the wind blows 20 knots is there any way you can suntan on the beach or you get sand all over the face all the time?

Also, what about this hotel? Any comment?

Thanks!

Pascale

seand
Rare Poster

Re: Coche Island, Punta blanca Ocean Club: how is it?

Postby seand » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:01 am

Hi,

My girlfriend and I were in Coche in March. I think you'd really like it as it is very quiet.

There are 2 hotels on the beach, we stayed in Punta Blanca which is closest to the kiting area. It has a nice swimming pool where you can sunbath and not worry about any sand blowing over you. You can see the kiting area from the pool. There are also a few rooms with terraces that look towards the kiting area so you may want to ask if they are free when you check in.

Punta Blanca is "all inclusive" it includes breakfast, lunch and dinner and also free drinks throughout the day.

It'd help if you spoke Spanish as there were only a couple of English speaking staff. There is supposed to be wireless internet but the connection was very poor and we found that a lot of sites were blocked (that may not both you).

There are two exchanges rates in Venezuela, the official rate which is roughly 2.6 for each US dollar, and an unofficial rate which you can get at a couple of local shops in Margarita. The local rate is closer to 6 to 1. So I suggest changing some money in Margarita and paying cash at the hotel to save money. If you pay with a credit card you'll get charged at the official rate.

There is a kite school/shop on the beach by the kiting area but I didn't see anyone talking lessons. The wind is offshore but there are "private" rescue boats that will help you out if you need to be rescued. They charge about US dollar 10 per time.

I hope you have a good trip.

Pascale
Medium Poster

Postby Pascale » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:33 pm

thanks for sharing this!

WRX_KITE
Rare Poster
Gear: '09 7M Waroo
'10 9M Bularoo
'09 13 Waroo

135 Wainman Blunt

Postby WRX_KITE » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:43 pm

A friend and I stayed at Punta Blanca Ocean Club in Coche for a week in February 2010. We both loved it and for me it was the best trip of my life (and first kite trip).

The resort: We had low expectations before going but were pleasantly surprised. We found the food was decent, service was good, but the staff speaks little to no english. The rooms were ok, grounds were very nice as well as the pool. The bar stops serving around 11pm which we found odd, but ok since we were dragging our asses by then from kiting all day. Not much going on here though, there was one show and in general pretty relaxed around the resort and the whole island itself.

The Kiting: Awesome! Offshore winds so you need to be able to stay upwind if you don't want to pay for rescues. The rescue boats come around 10-11am and leave at 5pm , but they worn you when they are leaving. Neither of us needed a rescue the whole time.

We managed to kite 4 out of 7 days. We had 13/12 and 9m kites. With bigger boards we would have kited the whole time. The water drops off fast though so if you go out not powered and the boats aren't out yet you may be in for a little swim ( I had to one morning).

The days that were windy though were amazing. FLAT water! We would usually eat a huge buffet breakfast, rig our big kites, do 3-4 hours straight, put the kites down at the kite spot, walk over to the resort for a huge buffet lunch (We could see out kites from the dining area of the punta blanca) then after lunch ride until sunset which was my favorite part. Once the rescue boats leave though you're better off to stay closer to shore, which if where the flattest water is anyways.

There is also the kite shop/school called Coche Kite Sports Center which is Run by a dude from Britain named Chris. Chill dude and Awesome rider. You can rent kites and boards, there is a small selection of gear, and also a little snack bar. You can also rent lockers to keep your gear in, but if you're staying at Punta Blanca it's probably not worth it. Once in a while they have parties there and you might find a couple hot kite bum chicks hanging around there :)

The worst part about the trip was Margarita Airport. Really poorly run and security/customs are really tight. It was really bad on the way home but seriously I was so stoked from my week at Coche it really didn't bug me.

Thorbjorn
Rare Poster
Local Beach: JP, Skanörs Hamn
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core 19, 12 Mako board, mobile skim

Postby Thorbjorn » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:50 pm

I wonder if it is crowded on the water in Coche

Thanks in advance

WRX_KITE
Rare Poster
'10 9M Bularoo
'09 13 Waroo

135 Wainman Blunt

Postby WRX_KITE » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:06 pm

Normally it is not too crowded, I'd say 15-20 riders on average. Apparently the week before I was there there was a group of 40 or so people so it was a bit crowded with them on top of the normal amount.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:29 pm

Did you book in advance? If so where?
I only found a few accom booking websites but not their website.
Any contact details and how much did you pay?

Cheers

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:28 am

I was at Coche kiting the first week in January 08, 09.
We stayed at the Ocean Club the second time.
It was not 5 star but OK. Your partner can play in the pool and sun tan, read, while you kite your brains out 30 m from the hotel.
No one was sick from the food but I would still get the antidiarhea shot in Canada just to be safe.
Bring down American money and exchange it at one of the small shops in El Yaque before you take the ferry over to Coche. You won't need alot of cash since it is an all inslusive.
Get to know Chris at the kite shop and buy some water or food there.
Airtransit usally has the best packages to Ocean Club from Montreal. Get the upgraded seats to bring extra weight (gear).
If you find it is getting crowded in Coche Chris can take you to some secret spots.
Lastly don't leave any thing out at the hotel (i.e. shorts drying, cameras etc.)
You and your partner will have a great time.

WRX_KITE
Rare Poster
'10 9M Bularoo
'09 13 Waroo

135 Wainman Blunt

Postby WRX_KITE » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:16 pm

irwe wrote:I was at Coche kiting the first week in January 08, 09.
We stayed at the Ocean Club the second time.
It was not 5 star but OK. Your partner can play in the pool and sun tan, read, while you kite your brains out 30 m from the hotel.
No one was sick from the food but I would still get the antidiarhea shot in Canada just to be safe.
Bring down American money and exchange it at one of the small shops in El Yaque before you take the ferry over to Coche. You won't need alot of cash since it is an all inslusive.
Get to know Chris at the kite shop and buy some water or food there.
Airtransit usally has the best packages to Ocean Club from Montreal. Get the upgraded seats to bring extra weight (gear).
If you find it is getting crowded in Coche Chris can take you to some secret spots.
Lastly don't leave any thing out at the hotel (i.e. shorts drying, cameras etc.)
You and your partner will have a great time.
Ditto, I booked through Air Transat and flew out of Montreal.

Return to “Travel”