Favorite Beaches: home
Style: kitesurfing
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades and cabrinha boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

60 Mile Open Ocean Downwind Race of Central Florida

Postby Kitetricity » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:35 pm

Kitetricity Kiteboarding will be hosting its 2nd annual Open Ocean Downwind Race / Event.
We are hoping for a November 13th or 14th 2010 Race date, wind permitting. There will be a 30 mile and a 60 mile option with many divisions receiving prizes.
Please check out all Race details on our website at www.kitetricity.com. You can also check us out on facebook where last minute event details will be posted as well.

Kitebdr1962
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne, Fla..
Favorite Beaches: Melbourne Beach, Fla...OBX....Gorge...
Style: Wave..Kitesurfing
Gear: Ozone..(Reo)...Crazy-Fly..(Sclup)...Blade..(Trigger)...Nobile..(T5)

Nobile NHP..134 x 42
Litewave Surfbd..5'7"

Re: 60 Mile Open Ocean Downwind Race of Central Florida

Postby Kitebdr1962 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:13 pm

We are still looking for that "One Ticket Winner" Raffle prize...We would love for any Company to help out in this matter...i.e...Kites..Boards, (twin tip or surfboard)...Surfboard Company..Stand-Up Paddleboard, etc...So please, see if you can help in the cause...The Cancer Foundation of Melbourne, Fla. will also be getting the raffle ticket money, along with what We raised for the Event....Yes, We will have the media there to film the event, along with interviews with the riders....

FL Kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Favorite Beaches: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Anne's Beach, Islamorada, FL USA
Style: Freeriding
Gear: |
Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:36 am

-

Marc
Cabrinha - XBOW '09 16m / GK - Trix '08 12m & 9m / Eclipse -Thruster '08 14m
VIDEO: Kiteboarder Struck by Lightning

Kitebdr1962
Medium Poster

Nobile NHP..134 x 42
Litewave Surfbd..5'7"

Postby Kitebdr1962 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:34 pm

We here at Kitetricity Kiteboarding and VooDoo Stand-Up Paddleboarding are getting geared up for the downwinder...We are posting this to ask a simple question..."How Many People Can or Might be Coming"...We are trying to get a head count for the Hilton, where We will be having Our per-party..They are also going to work with Us on the room rates for the weekend..So if you know that you are coming for sure, let Us know, if your thinking about it, let Us know that too..We know that if it does not happen on the weekend of the 13th/14th of Nov., then it rounds over to the next weekends, etc...If need be, We will be doing it the weekend of Thanksgiving, because Thanksgiving is on Thursday, that gives everyone two days to spend time with their family, then come to the Event/Race and burn off that Turkey....

We are still Hoping for that "One Ticket Winner" prize from ANY Company out there, for the Raffle..i.e..Kite, Kiteboard, Surfboard, SUP, etc...Please let Us know if you have anybody that We can call and ask for that Prize..Thanks...

Kitebdr1962
Medium Poster

Nobile NHP..134 x 42
Litewave Surfbd..5'7"

Postby Kitebdr1962 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:22 am

Well it has been an awesome week back here in Melbourne, so far..For some reason, the winds have been blowing here everyday since I have been back...Just got though doing two days of 15 mile downwinders, yesterday and today, of course getting ready for the Event/Race next month, starting the 13th of Nov...I am hoping that everyone else is getting wind, and getting your body ready for a "fast" Race...It is going to be hard to break that 2 hour and 18 minute time, or is it?..

We are still asking everyone that "might be coming", or "for sure coming" to the Event/Race, Please Let Us Know...It will help Us big time with the "head count" for the pre-party, and the "after party" at S.B.I...Thank-you for your response...

That "One Ticket Winner" price is still somewhere out there...We are still looking for that item...We are asking for any help on this, feel free to reply..

Last years Event/Race went very smooth with the help of a Personal friend....Thanks Shawn Frank....We would like to ask, that if there is anyone that wants to be part of this Event/Race, volunteering wise, be sure to contact Us asap...

We need help with:

registration sign-up
helping with the trophy event
both finish-lines will need help with "landing kites"
keeping eyes on the riders coming in
helping with the "Official Time" coming in

FL Kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Favorite Beaches: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Anne's Beach, Islamorada, FL USA
Style: Freeriding
Gear: |
Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:10 pm

-
LATEST UPDATE -
Hey Everyone. The forecast is looking good for Saturday, the 12th. It is still holding at 15 plus, out of the N or NNE. It showed that it will be stronger in the morning, but could be lighter later on in the day. Our plans are to do the Event/Race as early as possible, which means, it could be the first "Sunrise Downwind Race" of it's kind..So keep praying that the forecast holds, and that Mother Nature will bring us great winds. Feel free to contact me if you need any help. We are also looking for a "head count" if the forecast holds, so we can give the local bar a "heads-up" to bring staff in for the "after party"...Thanks.
Here are the main links for the Event-

The Main event information - http://bit.ly/2010FLDwnWndr

The latest event updates - http://on.fb.me/KitetricityVoodoo

The Facebook Event Page - http://on.fb.me/DwnWndrEventPage

____

Marc
Cabrinha - XBOW '09 16m / GK - Trix '08 12m & 9m
Kiteboarding Videos: Feat. Nobile, Mystic, GK, Litewave, Flyboards, Ozone, Naish, Cabrinha, & More

Kitebdr1962
Medium Poster

Nobile NHP..134 x 42
Litewave Surfbd..5'7"

Postby Kitebdr1962 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:53 am

Here is a list of things to think about, if you are coming or just on the fence:

Prizes:

60 miles Open Ocean Downwinder:

1st Place ...Trophy and Swag
2nd Place...Trophy and Swag
3rd Place....Trophy and Swag
4th Place....Swag Bag
5th Place....Swag Bag
6th Place....Swag Bag
7th Place....Swag Bag
8th Place....Swag Bag
9th Place....Swag Bag
10th Place..Swag Bag

1st Place for 45 and older...60 miles...Trophy and Swag Bag

1st Place for Woman...60 miles...Trophy and Swag Bag

30 miles Open Ocean Downwinder:

1st Place...30 miles...Over All...Trophy and Swag Bag

1st Place for Woman...30 miles...Trophy and Swag Bag

1st Place for 45 and older...30 miles....Trophy and Swag Bag

1st Place for Junior...30 miles...Trophy and Swag Bag

BTW, don't forget about the Raffle, which we are giving away a 11' 6'' 2010 Amundson SUP, complete with an adjustable paddle.( in the box )..Tickets will be $5.00 each...

So PRAY for WIND...Please...This has been a year in the works/waiting/on hold..Time for Mother Nature to Step-Up and bring Us wind, here this Weekend
Last edited by Kitebdr1962 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kitebdr1962
Medium Poster

Nobile NHP..134 x 42
Litewave Surfbd..5'7"

Postby Kitebdr1962 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:59 am

48 hour Notice

There will be a 30 mile downwinder for those who think that they can not make it the whole 60 miles. The half-way point for that event/race will be at a place called Sebastian Beach Inn Restaurant (S.B.I) 7035 S. Highway A1A, Melbourne Beach, 321-728-4311. S.B.I is half-way from both directions, coming down from the north, or coming up from the south....

This will be the location for Our pre-party event on Friday night around 6ish or so...S.B.I. has good food and strong drinks, and it will be fun to see everyone that can make it...

The Start line with the wind direction they are forecasting will be at Cherie Down Park..that park is in Cocoa Beach on the corner of Ridgewood Ave and Washington Ave...The Finish line will be at the City Park at 17th E Causeway and A1A, in Vero Beach..There is a huge parking lot there, and the finish line will be on the beach, on the North side of the parking lot...

If you do the 60 mile part of the race, then you will need to make arrangements to get back to S.B.I. for the after party event..We will not be able to supply transportation...So bring a girlfriend, boyfriend, mom, dad, or just bring the whole family...

Be sure to bring a cell phone (water proof bag/phone) and some money (coins) to contact a ride from family members if you need a ride back, if you can't make the whole race...A1A will only be a block away from the beach at any given time...

It will be MANDATORY to contact me on my cell phone if you don't finish the Event....321-795-7626...Reason Why, So We will not have to send "Help/Rescue Crew" to find you...

There will be a Time Limit to this Event, and that will be discussed at the Skipper's Meeting...We are looking at least no more than 5 hours, then the race is over, time stops...

During the Skipper Meeting or even before, at the pre-party, if there are any questions, be sure to ask..If you want to ask before hand, feel free to contact me asap at 321-795-7626 or email me at info@kitetricity.com..

FYI, I am not god, and I am only going by what the forecast is telling me, just like you would, if you went out kiting for the day..We are looking at ikitesurf.com, wunderground.com, and other ones too.. So please not ask me "what the weather is going to do", "what you should do", etc.., just keep praying for the wind to hold, and then the Event/Race will be on, and you should be here...But I can help you with one thing for sure...Rule #1, ALWAYS bring ALL Your Kite Gear...lol...

***** Forecast as of 2/10/11 at 04:20 p.m on ikitesurf.com for the Cocoa Beach area, down to Vero Beach...North winds forecasted, with 14 to 17 mph winds...*****

A.J. Morgan
Owner
Kitetricity Kiteboarding School
VooDoo Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Team Rider EPIC Kites/Nobile Boards
United States P.A.S.A. Examiner
321-795-7626
www.VooDooKS.com
www.kitetricity.com
www.facebook.com

Kitebdr1962
Medium Poster

Nobile NHP..134 x 42
Litewave Surfbd..5'7"

Postby Kitebdr1962 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:18 pm

FYI...There will be a "Crew" of guys that will be coming down as the "Rescue Crew" for the Event/Race..These guys will not be Racing, but just bringing up the rear..They will have a set pace that they are shooting for, but it will not be a "All out Race"...They will be a few minutes behind the start, and will check on each Racer if you stop along the way, and do not finish...More info will be told at the Skipper Meeting tomorrow...There will be NO Rescue Boat/Jetski for this Event....

There will also be people there who are looking for "Rides back to their cars" in Cocoa Beach...Again, We will not be able to supply ANY transportation back to Cocoa Beach area...What would be nice is to have cars driven from Cocoa Beach down to S.B.I...I am sure with some help from the local kiter's doing the 60 mile part of the Race, that the one's that need "rides back to their cars", can get a ride back to S.B.I. better than getting a ride all the way back up to Cocoa Beach...

Last year we put "Race Numbers" on the Riders on top of their hands for Shawn to see at the end of the Race..This year, since riders will be given a t-shirt for signing up, if ask that you wear them..We plan on putting your "Race Number" on your right shoulder sleeve...When we run out of t-shirts, then we will put the "Race Number" back on top of your right hand...

A.J. Morgan

poser
Medium Poster

Postby poser » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:29 pm

what about the millions of migrating sharks?
is anyone taking that small factor of death into consideration?
thats 60 miles over probably the worlds most shark infested waters.

Return to “Kitesurfing”