cabrinha ids self landing problems

Forum for kitesurfers
skiprima
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: cabrinha ids self landing problems

Postby skiprima » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:10 am

2011 crossbow ids not the greatist either.

Not having an IDS before, everything was new to me. I hit the QR, up the line went the bar. I walked up the 5th line and went up the 2 front lines. Surprise; the kite went up in the air, across the window and flagged on the other side. Watch your fingers.

The system just doesn't totally depower like advertised. To make it worse, there is no other way I have found to land the kite alone. The best method was the Jon Modica method on the older Cabrihna's. This new IDS doesn't come close.

Sorry Cabrihna, but it's back to the drawing board.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby robertovillate » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:09 pm

skiprima wrote:2011 crossbow ids not the greatist either.

Not having an IDS before, everything was new to me. I hit the QR, up the line went the bar. I walked up the 5th line and went up the 2 front lines. Surprise; the kite went up in the air, across the window and flagged on the other side. Watch your fingers.

The system just doesn't totally depower like advertised. To make it worse, there is no other way I have found to land the kite alone. The best method was the Jon Modica method on the older Cabrihna's. This new IDS doesn't come close.

Sorry Cabrihna, but it's back to the drawing board.
yeah, but that last video is super informative don't you think?
sometimes it's not so much what they tell you, but what they don't tell you.

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 2010

Postby AlexandreBorges » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:04 am

liv2surf wrote:
Galeltic wrote:
Morten W wrote:This simple landing procedure works with all kites without releasing anything, but please be careful and ready to engage the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1X1uVLf0I0

its only for ozone kite !
No, its not only for the Ozone kite. This is a pretty general method that works with many kites. I know other people who use this for other non-Ozone kites. It requires that kite depowers plenty (and will sit on the edge of the window) and that you can reach the top front line to pull it around into the wind at which point it will drop into rest position. Like many other methods your mileage may vary and it may not work equally well in all conditions (like nuking wind). Some kites require one to pull in both afront lines to get access to the top line.
That is my practice with a Cabrinha Crossbow 11 2010.
I`m also self launching without adds on.

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster

Postby AlexandreBorges » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:39 am

BK wrote:had some gusty lit conditions this past Friday on Lake Michigan so I took the opportunity to shoot IDS deployment and self landing on a 2011 10M Crossbow....basically the same system as 2010 IDS:

You killed the topic. It shows it all.

FL Kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Favorite Beaches: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Anne's Beach, Islamorada, FL USA
Style: Freeriding
Gear: |
Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:28 am

-
2009 Cabrinha Tech Tip - IDS Self-Launch and Landing

Share this video - http://bit.ly/CabSelfLch

Marc
Cabrinha - XBOW '09 16m / GK - Trix '08 12m & 9m / Eclipse -Thruster '08 14m
Cabrinha Tech Tip videos - Now iPhone & iPad Accessible!

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:46 pm

Alexandre,

You said:

I`m also self launching without adds on.[/quote]

From my experience, this landing method depends on the kiter very quickly grabbing the upper front line, and giving it a very definite and powerful jerk...and the kiter only gets one chance to do this and successfully put the kite solidly in the ground, with the leading edge facing into the wind. If this procedure is not done exactly right, the kite will lift back up into the air, and flip itself into a HOT launch, leaving the kiter standing in the middle of a whole bunch of loose lines, which will immediately loop around and guillotine any body part that is unfortunate enough to be caught in the loops of line.....so my question to you is: "How do you get your hand on that very crucial UPPER FRONT line"? Can you describe your exact technique of what you do to get you hand on that line? Do you work your way to it by pulling in, first the power line, and then the powerline adjuster, and then the IDS line and common leader? If so, how do you do it, without disturbing the kite which is delicately balanced on its wingtip?

On the IDS system, with the long common leader line, that upper front line is about 15 feet away from the kiter!!!

I have more questions on your technique, based on my experience on using this landing technique on many different types of kites, starting with "C" kites. On all these different kites, I have found that to perform this type of self-landing, the kiter needs to actually gently CRASH the kite onto its leading edge, from about 5 feet up, in order to make the kite "stick" to the ground, and not lift back up. To perform this maneuver, the kiter needs quick and immediate access to that crucial upper front line.

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster

Postby AlexandreBorges » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:27 am

tomatkins wrote:Alexandre,

You said:

I`m also self launching without adds on.
From my experience, this landing method depends on the kiter very quickly grabbing the upper front line, and giving it a very definite and powerful jerk...and the kiter only gets one chance to do this and successfully put the kite solidly in the ground, with the leading edge facing into the wind. If this procedure is not done exactly right, the kite will lift back up into the air, and flip itself into a HOT launch, leaving the kiter standing in the middle of a whole bunch of loose lines, which will immediately loop around and guillotine any body part that is unfortunate enough to be caught in the loops of line.....so my question to you is: "How do you get your hand on that very crucial UPPER FRONT line"? Can you describe your exact technique of what you do to get you hand on that line? Do you work your way to it by pulling in, first the power line, and then the powerline adjuster, and then the IDS line and common leader? If so, how do you do it, without disturbing the kite which is delicately balanced on its wingtip?
[/quote]

I`ll try not to mistake needed vocabulary, but sorry if I can`t.
Get your cabrinha 90 degrees from wind direction on the ground. In that position you might release bar and it will nor launch again not pull either. you might as well decide to relauch effortless.
Let`s say you wanna end your kiting run, then let go of the bar grab that depowerline or eject/brake line pulling while walking toward inner set. Then let go of the depower line and grab the upper inner line slowly so the top tip of your kite come to the ground smoothly.
Remember to take a look for anything that might damage your kite in given landing area. Also your kite is attached to you just because you want, remember: by ejecting your kite will come U shape in three steps towards it.

I think it`s very similar to that video. If my wife is there with me tomorrow I might film it.

For launching by yourself, just do the bar backwards, making sure the red side is to your right. Make sure your have plenty of space and nobody to hurt in case of ejecting.
Pull the red line while walking toward 90 degrees of wind direction. Wind and traction will get your kite to the safe window by getting gray tip up. Wind then pump your kite just waiting your command to go up. If you let go of the bar it will there waiting for you.
Take care with debries not to hurt your loved kite.

Sorry guys but I do that with no other kite and a 5th line makes it worse! Cabrinha gives me confidence.

I know there are quality issues with 2010 bar material, but the end target is plenty and safe with Cabrinha.

vindsportknut
Medium Poster

Postby vindsportknut » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:24 pm

I did a little research today over the issue with my brand new Switchblade IDS 12, 2011. It was around 10m/s, gusting to 13-14 due to a nearby wind meter. I was on the snow.

The safest way of self-landing a kite is what might be called "provoked inversion". Provoked inversion is shown in several videos and the point is to make your kite lay on LE as in the safe mode.

First. When parked on the edge of the window; grab the depowerline as described above, and normally you will get your kite land nose down by grabbing in the upper front line.

Second. I let the kite turn over and lay upside down straight downwind like an U. Then there is a very smart point in the IDS-design. The kite takes off a few meters, still upside down. The drag is very low. But the upside down flying indicates that the provoked inversion can be done safely. The kite can't fly up to twelve o'clock because it gets wind on the upper side of the canopy. What will happen if you the go forward and grabs the two frontlines and steer the kite around so that it will fly the right way. It will certainly invert and land on the LE in the safe mode. Just be sure that it wont land on sharp things.

So far the IDS gives the safest self landing among the inflatables as far as I know. Better than the 5th line because you have the possibility to steer it around and land it nose down.

Return to “Kitesurfing”