Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Using bar and line on different kites?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Using bar and line on different kites?

Postby Don Monnot » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:31 pm

I'd say your 16 would be the kite to use if the snow is soft and deep, and you're riding terrain and not a frozen lake. I typically ride frozen lakes in the Midwest US, and my goto kite is either a 9m or a 13m LEI. I also have a 9m foil. I use it if the wind is more consistent, and the 9m LEI if the wind is super gusty. The LEI holds its shape better in the gusts than my foil (older model). I also use a 3m 2-line trainer kite when there's no snow on the ice and I'm on hockey skates. With no drag, it doesn't take much wind to make it fun on skates. In a 15-20 mph wind I hit 30 mph on skates with the 3m kite.

Don

fuzz1303
Rare Poster

Postby fuzz1303 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:41 pm

It sounds like I could stand to look into a 9m for some higher wind days and/or riding less deep snow. But I'm excited to hear that for a good lay down of pow I could get away riding my 16 :)

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Fuzz with a 9meter at your elevation once you gain experience that kite could easily go up to 35-40mph a 6-7 would be close to 45-50mph.

People often times get scared of big kites for a good reason if the wind increases your a sitting duck for trouble however once you know your at the limit you put it down and grab the next kite.

I honestly like bigger kites all around as the you have so much more time to think about how your gonna nail the trick and get much longer air times from flat ground. I have a 16m and a two kite quiver (although i own more then just 2) but my 16m and 11-12m are my go to kites if its light with a forecast to mid 20's the 16 is ready to go. If its nuking and calling up to 35mph im on the 11m.

Elevation plays a big role in my decision. Near sea level a 16m is a waste to own but up high here in montana i've been under a 16m up to 30mph with out teabaggin. When i fly in the ocean my 11m is almost too big in 20mph winds.

fuzz1303
Rare Poster

Postby fuzz1303 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:37 pm

That's interesting. So I will look into a 9-11m kite to really get a feel for then get comfortable with my 16m too. Sounds like I'll be needing more then 1 kite regardless since different wind speeds requires different kites. Hopefully I'll be able to use my 16 some this season but if not I'll definately look for a smaller kite too.

r_loeppky
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South Basin of Lake Winnipeg
Style: Snow/Water
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby r_loeppky » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:40 pm

I live in Winnipeg and do the majority of my riding in the snow. I weigh 190lbs. I've been flying a 10 m all of last winter and it was ideal for the majority of days. Light wind was tough some times, strong winds were perfect. My usual wind range was 10 to 25 kts. At your altitude, and since you have a 14,i would recommend a 10 or 11m. This will let you cover the wind range and not miss out.

up here, guys are only out on 6 or 7m's in +30kts. i really couldn't image trying to get going on a 5m.

The de-power on kites now a days is amazing. don't be afraid. you could also try one of your buddies kites and get a feel for it before you buy. jusdt don't go back to that dude that put the fear into you.

Take care.

Rich

Return to “Snow / Land”