Style: beginner
Gear: Ozone access 6m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Access 10m, frenzy 9m or frenzy 11m ???

Postby snowflick » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:26 pm

Hello every one !

I am new on this forum. I posted a lot on quebec french forums about the same subject since I am from Quebec Canada. I am now thinking about what kite to get this year. I bought a 2010 ozone access 6m last year and I flew it all summer on land so I became pretty good flying it static.

I am 180 lbs, 6 feet tall, 26 years old! Been snowboarding for 10 years and got snowkiting courses twice last year with a Montana 7.5 and my ozone access. I would prefer riding on snowboard but I also bought skis to learn because every one says it is easier on skis. I am not planning to jump higher than 2 meters from ground, but I want to try some small jumps ! I do not plan to pull complicated tricks or ride stapless thougt.

I want to snowkite on frozen lakes. Here the winds are usually 7 knots with gusts up to 12 knots. Sometimes it is really windy, I will have my access 6m for those days. Do not suggest other brands since I got a nice place selling only ozone kites near my house.

I am hesitating between 3 kites and want your opinions ! Please tell me if my pros and cons are right. 

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/15829592[/vimeo]

The Ozone access 10m:
Pro: Good price
Pro: Nice kite size
Pro Con: Ugly dark green color in 10m size for 2011, or it looks like light green in the video
Con: Might move slow like a truck and might not be enjoyable after a while.
Con: I might want to buy a faster kite soon.

Questions: People say this kite has no lift… Can we do some jumps with it or not? I can do small jumps with my 6m so bet the answer is yes… But will this kite slow your landing speed like a parachute when placed up ?

Question: Does this kite handles the gusts better than the frenzy 9 or 11 ?

Questions: Can you work the kite to get speed, or this kite is too slow ? Could I go uphill for example doing kite loops.

Question: What does low end means ?

Or maybe the frenzies... !!

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/15589456[/vimeo]

The Ozone frenzy 9m 2011:
Pro: New awesome design
Con: Might be too small for snowboard in 8 knots… What do you think ? I do not want to park and ride, I can afford working the kite.
Con: I might have to buy a bigger kite soon since I am on snowboard…

Questions: How fast must be the wind to let me ride on snowboard while working the kite, and how fast on skis while working the kite?

The Ozone frenzy 11m 2011:
Pro: New awesome design
Pro: Might be a kite I will enjoy for years without thinking about buying another one.
Con: Might be too big and aggressive lift for a beginner like me. I do not want to hurt myself.

Please tell me what you think about all this! I don’t have the opportunity to try before buy here…!

I will get free courses with either kite I buy!

Thank you for reading!

Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!

Re: Access 10m, frenzy 9m or frenzy 11m ???

Postby Windzup » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:53 pm

Good Questions Snowflick.

There is quite a bit of overlap in the kites these days. I imagine you would be happy with any of those 3 choices.

Regarding the Access XT 10m. With the double pulley bridle, and recent design upgrade last winter, the Access has caught up with a lot of the Frenzy's all-around performance. It turns quickly in a small radius and delivers plenty of power for high speed runs or climbing hills. The feeling of the Access compared to a new Frenzy or previous model Frenzy, is more personal preference. The Access has a few less cells, and is a bit more docile than the Frenzy. Main difference is boosting, the Frenzy will fly faster thru the window, developing more energy, and lift you higher off the ground more easily. That said, the Access can be a comfortable kite to learn to jump with, and you'll go plenty high with the 10m XT model.
Summary: The Access XT is an amazing all around wing that will open up many enjoyable sessions. The only reason to go for a different model, is personal preference. Riders with more aggressive riding styles, seem to prefer the Frenzy and Manta, as each model offers slightly faster flying speeds than the next.

The new 2011 Frenzy is the GO-TO choice for Snowkiters as it offers everything the Access has, with a faster wing speed and even tighter turn radius. The new design is truly phenomenal, and I think it overlaps the stability of the Access with the speed of the Manta. The 9m Frenzy will have similar power to the 10m Access.

Based on your rider size, you could safely pick any of the sizes you are looking at. Considering you already have the small sizes covered, I would make the jump to the 11m myself, to take advantage of the lighter wind days. It has a wide range and I've flown it from 8-35mph.

The old adage is go for a 9 or 10 meter for the one kite quiver or go for the 6-8m and 11-12m for the 2 kite quiver.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck
www.FlyOzoneUSA.com

Afro
Medium Poster

Postby Afro » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:55 pm

in 7-12 knots, you will want a 13m frenzy

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:51 pm

hey dude, i'm a landboarder not a snow kiter. but i fly ozone access manta and frenzy.

my call is this the 9m frenzy is a screamer. its the best size of the range. buy one of those first! it will do you well when the wind is best 12-25 knots. (maybe less on the snow? ).

You can work the 9m under 10 knots but its not huge amounts of fun. for sub 10 you need a monster kite. my call would be 13m frenzy, 9m frenzy, 6m access. that will do you well.

My personal thought is that for lower winds a kite with lift is an advantage. the frenzies will be docile enough in the lighter winds but give you a bigger grin when you decide you need to glide like chasta!!

my personal quiver is 15m manta, 10m manta, 6m access. that does me from 4 knots to 40 knots.

PS i rescently spent quite a few hours on the 2011 frenzies and they are sweet. i really enjoyed the 9m and the 7m the most. I had the 7m up in gusty conditions spiking to over 40knots. its was madness but still controllable.

Hubbs
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Conrad's Beach
Clam Harbour Beach
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Ozone - 8m Frenzy
Ozone - 4m Access
Flex Deck

Postby Hubbs » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:12 pm

I own both kites as well for Landboarding / Snowkiting, I don't have time to list all the reasons, but Frenzy hands down, Access is a good buggy kite IMO , almost zero lift,

And in my eyes.. I always go a little bigger, so 11m for suree,

snowflick
Rare Poster
Local Beach: No beach, only lakes ! Lac maskinongé St-gabriel-de- brandon

Postby snowflick » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:29 pm

Thanks for your help !!

It really helps ! So you guys think that a 9m frenzy will be as fast as a 10m access...

Todays wind were 10 to 23 knots here !

I will start the winter with my 6m only and evaluate more the winds that we got here. If a worked frenzy 9m pulls like the access 10m because it is faster, i might eliminate the access option.

snowflick
Rare Poster

Postby snowflick » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:09 pm

What is the reason of saying the access 6m is same windrange as the frenzy 9m if the frenzy 9m pulls like an access 10m ??

http://downloads.flyozone.com/distribut ... epower.pdf

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:17 pm

The 2011 9m frenzy is comparable in speed to a 9m inflatable! It is a cracker. It wont be as fast as your six access but pretty close.

on a side by i flew the 2011 9m frenzy and 11m frenzy in about 16 knots back to back and for me the 9m was the much more fun kite to use.

I found with the 9 i could work the kite for speed, got just as much height as the 11 with an easier re-ridrect on landing. grin factor was huge!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:40 pm

snowflick wrote:What is the reason of saying the access 6m is same windrange as the frenzy 9m if the frenzy 9m pulls like an access 10m ??

http://downloads.flyozone.com/distribut ... epower.pdf
its wrong.

7m frenzy and 6m access are comparable. the 6m access still has a higher wind range than the 7m frenzy. only just.

you can hold a 9m frenzy to 30 knots but you are stupidly powered by then.

sensable wind rangers for a newbie would be.

9m frenzy10-22 knots
7m frenzy/6m access 18-30

ps presuming your of average weight.

snowflick
Rare Poster

Postby snowflick » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:22 pm

Thanks!

What would be the wind range for frenzy 11m and frenzy 13m ??

Return to “Snow / Land”