Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice!

Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice

Postby Galeltic » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:20 pm

K-School SafetyFirst wrote:If you say that a kitesurfer shouldn't go out alone, do you want me to wait until every kitesurfer has a 21m Flysurfer Speed Deluxe + Door?
thats real gooofy ! :thumb: :bye:

K-School SafetyFirst
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: IJmuiden, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Vlieland, Netherlands
Tremembe, Brazil
Style: Allschool
Gear: Inflatables and Flysurfer
Has thanked: 0

Postby K-School SafetyFirst » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:40 pm

Please translate and explain

RomanC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Redondo
Favorite Beaches: Port Hueneme, C-Street
Style: twintip
Gear: cabrinha

Postby RomanC » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:18 am

A while ago, I got lofted into a bluff. When I set up the cabrinha bar, I didn't realize that the cord looped around the bar, when I put in the chicken loop into the harness. I was also self launching. As soon as the kite rose up from the ground, it shot straight up to the sky picking me up. I immediately grabbed my safety, but just could not move it. Essentially, the bar was all the way powered up and could not move as the main cord was looped around it. Worse yet, the QR on the cabrinha requires some space between the bar and the QR, for the QR to slide forward and then detach the kite from the chicken loop. Anyhow, I flew into a bluff and the kite crashed somewhere at the top. Luckily for me, somebody grabbed the kite at the top, and I asked them to hold on to it, while I detached myself from the bar and hiked up to grab and pack up the kite. I was then rewarded with spending hour and a half untangling the lines :) Lesson learned, check that the cord didn't loop around the bar.

flylow
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Stuart, Fl and Long Beach, Turks
Gear: 9-12-14.5 Ocean Rodeo Aluua
North Select and Axis Surf board

Postby flylow » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:08 pm

I just happened on this topic, but the same thing that happened to the previous cabrinha user happened to me with xbow 2009 kites. However, I was on a beach and noticed the same problem. I could not use the safety. My buddy was already doing our downwinder. I waited until a person happened by the beach and taught them how to land the kite...problem solved with the newer cabrinha bars and safety systems that have the 5th line inside the main line. I posted this potential accident on the Cabrinha forum.

However, I am testing eyeglasses that the miliatary uses for kiteboarding to prevent eye injuries.
Several kiteboarders have had severe injuries from the bar or a board to the eye. The costs with polarized amber and grey lenses is about $150. The frames are made with a ridge so if the lens is loose it will not penetrate your eye. All other eyeglasses that I have checked are not safe for this reason. If interested contact me: cutlermd@gmail.com www.cutlermd.com

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:54 pm

flylow wrote:
However, I am testing eyeglasses that the miliatary uses for kiteboarding to prevent eye injuries.
Several kiteboarders have had severe injuries from the bar or a board to the eye. The costs with polarized amber and grey lenses is about $150. The frames are made with a ridge so if the lens is loose it will not penetrate your eye. All other eyeglasses that I have checked are not safe for this reason. If interested contact me: cutlermd@gmail.com www.cutlermd.com
WileyX glasses?

FL Kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Favorite Beaches: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Anne's Beach, Islamorada, FL USA
Style: Freeriding
Gear: |
Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:58 am

-
When opportunity knocks, take it.
This unique insight into the life of a Professional Kite Launcher
shows that dreams can come true when you have failed at everything else...

Brought to you by Tom Court

SHARE THIS VIDEO - http://bit.ly/ProKiteLauncher

For more Kite Line & Launch Tools - http://bit.ly/KiteLaunchTools

Marc
BEST Kiteboarding Demo in Central Florida (Nov 8-9)

ezo
Rare Poster

Postby ezo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:03 pm

Hey guys, I didn't read the whole thread but I thought I would contribute a few tips. I've been kiting for 7 years all over the world... Ill keep it simple.

** TAKE LESSONS, kiting cant be learned alone without some serious close calls or carnage. **
** Don't Launch upwind of something you wouldn't wanna smack into ( like a concert wall ) **

1.Don't use a board leash (saw it posted already but have to say it again, I knocked out my front teeth with on on my first day. $1000+ a root canal and I was back kiting.)

2. Check if your launching in a wind shadow, this can be very dangerous.

3. White caps=10knots+, Sand blowing down the beach=25knots+. Get to know your est. wind speeds and direction from your surroundings.

4. Don't try and correct mistakes on land, bust your safety before you get really hurt.

5. Don't jump on the beach no matter how pro you think you are. (Maybe you are pro but some idiot will see it and do it)

6. If kiters aren't kiting at certain areas there's probably a reason. Like shallow reef,etc.

7. Know your gear, know how to self rescue on your gear.

8. Smile when your kiting, no one needs kite rage=).

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Postby Galeltic » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:37 am

ezo wrote:Hey guys, I didn't read the whole thread but I thought I would contribute a few tips. I've been kiting for 7 years all over the world... Ill keep it simple.

** TAKE LESSONS, kiting cant be learned alone without some serious close calls or carnage. **
** Don't Launch upwind of something you wouldn't wanna smack into ( like a concert wall ) **

1.Don't use a board leash (saw it posted already but have to say it again, I knocked out my front teeth with on on my first day. $1000+ a root canal and I was back kiting.)

2. Check if your launching in a wind shadow, this can be very dangerous.

3. White caps=10knots+, Sand blowing down the beach=25knots+. Get to know your est. wind speeds and direction from your surroundings.

4. Don't try and correct mistakes on land, bust your safety before you get really hurt.

5. Don't jump on the beach no matter how pro you think you are. (Maybe you are pro but some idiot will see it and do it)SECOND VOTE :jump:

6. If kiters aren't kiting at certain areas there's probably a reason. Like shallow reef,etc.

7. Know your gear, know how to self rescue on your gear.

8. Smile when your kiting, no one needs kite rage=).

west_oz
Rare Poster
Gear: 2010 Kahoona 7.5

Postby west_oz » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:50 pm

G'day,

Just getting into kiting so figured reading through a safety thread would be a good start. Could someone please tell me why jumping on the beach is dangerous?

i've searched a couple of different forums and couldn't find any reference to it anywhere

cheers

graphik
Frequent Poster

Postby graphik » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:40 pm

well.... the beach hurts if you bail. You'll probably take out a few kids and then get the beats form dear ol dad. Your kite could fall on the beach, then power up and behead an innocent woman walking her dog. Perhaps to because once you're out there you're supposed to stay beyond the swimming areas. So all in all it doesn't sound like a good idea. But give it a go if you're interested and let us know how it works out for you.

Seriously.. it's stupid. You'll get messed up or you can seriously mess other up. Do a search on Kiteboard Kevin and you'll see what can happen when playing on the beach with a kite. He'll be paying for hospital bills for the rest of his life

Return to “Safety”