All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is it possible to go upwind on sand on a snowboard
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 1:29 pm 
Rare Poster

I'm sure I would kill the snowboard - but if I used an old one is it possible to go upwind on one or is there just too much friction ?
rgds
Naguib

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: try this
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 7:15 am 
Here is directions to make a sandboard....I dont see why it wouldn't work

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/9766/make.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 2:29 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

it sounds like you are gonna be the first to know :)
too late to stop now,
let us know what the answer is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:10 am 
The do it on skis. Check out http://home.wanadoo.nl/skiting/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:11 pm 
Forget it, it is got to be impossible! Sorry for being pessimistic, but sand and carving edges just dont go well together. The skiting is also a waste of time. Get yourselves a mountainboard, buggy, og something else with wheels on it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:47 pm 
Frequent Poster

Do you mean wet, hard packed sand or the soft dry stuff that's F***ing impossible to board on????????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:39 am 
Rare Poster

I tried it:
http://www.nusco.org/sandboard/impegnato.jpg
It didn't really work for me. That's not to say it's impossible, of course.

I turned an old snowboard into a sandboard by adding straps and a formica bottom. All sandboarders say that formica is the best material for them. The normal snowboard material just won't do.

First thing I noticed: getting moving on sand is hard. The friction just kept me glued to the spot until the kite was pulling above a certain threshold, and when it happened I basically zipped away with no control. After which I couldn't edge for the life of me, and most of the times the board got stuck into sand after a few meters.

Also, the board's reactions were extremely dependant on the type of sand (coarser or finer, wet or dry, etc...). Sometimes I could slide much better with my bare feet than using the board - other times I got going full speed until I got into a slightly rougher patch of sand - and then the board just stopped dead in its track as if it had hit a brick wall. Also, the type of hard sand that I could slide very well upon made it even more difficult (impossible?) to edge. I just ran straight downwind without any control of the board. I had some fun going down dunes with a small kite, but all in all I felt like it was more pain than pleasure, and exceedingly easy to break some tendons.

I actually don't mean to discourage you. :-? Some people do use sandboards with kites, so it can be done. I know that sandboarders routinely use some kind of special board wax, and that might help. The straps position I used was clearly wrong, and that surely counted a lot. Adding some kind of very very small fin might help keep the board straight (but it won't help you to edge). Also, I think that there are places in the world where the sand is just ideal. I can only guarantee that they're not anywhere near my home.

Whatever you do, please try it underpowered at first. I used a small 3 square meters trainer in about 15 knots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:53 pm 
Rare Poster

Yeah, I tried it too. no luck :-(

I attributed it to the fact that the sand was wet. I thought on dry sand it would work.

[ 8 posts ]