snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: snowkite boards vs snowboards

Postby snobdr » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Frank looks good. I would ad some kine of traction pad to keep your feet in. Like what they use on snowboards for inbetween your straps when pushing to the lift. I liked the aluminum stick on points the best.
I hate stiff boots also. I ride an old pair of burton stumpies. They are almost like duck boots. Short leather uppers are nice and loose. Wish i could find another pair of them.

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:37 pm

I sure do wish I could try one of them fancy new ones, but I still manage to enjoy the odd turn. My board pictured here ( Butte Pawnshop model $40) seems to work better than I do. Down boy!
Attachments
handplantsepia.jpg

BobandLaurel
Rare Poster

Postby BobandLaurel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:46 pm

There's no such thing as a snowkite board. :D

bob

Rorke
Frequent Poster

Postby Rorke » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:19 pm

In past years, I split time between a snowboard and telemark skis.

Last year, I cracked my old board and got a new rockered snowboard. It is a LibTech T Rice. It has overall rocker with concave under each foot. Also, the magnatraction edges seem to work well

Blew my mind. Way different than my old plank. Love it.

I have no idea how a kite specific snowboard could be better...unless it could be less expensive.
Too bad as soon as the word "Kite" is on the board, it adds $150. :lol:

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:10 pm

snobdr wrote:Frank looks good. I would ad some kine of traction pad to keep your feet in. Like what they use on snowboards for inbetween your straps when pushing to the lift. I liked the aluminum stick on points the best.
I hate stiff boots also. I ride an old pair of burton stumpies. They are almost like duck boots. Short leather uppers are nice and loose. Wish i could find another pair of them.
Thanks snobdr. Those black strips on there are anti stick pads I stuck on for boot traction, hopefully they'll stay on for a bit. Soft boots are better for me as well. I don't like the feeling of being cemented to the board. Makes no sense for kiting. Makes sense for snowboarding.

I love my caby board too. Total symmetry. Way better for me in the conditions I ride which is snow covered ice mostly. If I was in deep powder snow a lot maybe a regular snowboard would be good enough. I don't know but I won't go back to a regular snow board unless I break this one and go broke :D

geir
Medium Poster

Postby geir » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:30 pm

Don't care what it's called - if I could get rid of 'edge burn' I'd be happy ! A semi pro snowboarder once looked at my board and said it was the worst case of edge burn he'd ever seen.

In my mind I thought snowkite specific board meant less sidecut, true centered stance and better lamination. After reading your comment guys I might as well just stick to normal sticks.

Geir (from AlwaysIcyConditionsIceland)

Marty
Frequent Poster

Postby Marty » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:02 pm

Rorke wrote:Last year, I cracked my old board and got a new rockered snowboard. It is a LibTech T Rice.
Too bad as soon as the word "Kite" is on the board, it adds $150. :lol:
?????

http://tinyurl.com/2g4me2f
vs
http://tinyurl.com/37up2fp

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.

Postby frankm1960 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:25 pm

Rorke wrote: Too bad as soon as the word "Kite" is on the board, it adds $150. :lol:
I paid less for my brand new kite snow board then I would have paid for a regular snow board.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster

Postby frankm1960 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:31 pm

geir wrote:Don't care what it's called - if I could get rid of 'edge burn' I'd be happy ! A semi pro snowboarder once looked at my board and said it was the worst case of edge burn he'd ever seen.

In my mind I thought snowkite specific board meant less sidecut, true centered stance and better lamination. After reading your comment guys I might as well just stick to normal sticks.

Geir (from AlwaysIcyConditionsIceland)
Why don't you flip your bindings around and use the other edge for a while?
Unless of course you can't because your board is no where near a true TT.

If you ride on icy conditions then your board edges are gonna take a beating. I wore my old snowboard edges pretty bad because of icy conditions.

jens_buhl
Medium Poster

Postby jens_buhl » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:44 pm

frankm1960 wrote:Check out my "new" bindings :lol: Just put them on last week and looking forward to trying them out this year. It's a rough prototype right now. I used my old LF straps. I'm hoping to use my regular winter boots. Tired of rigid boots and bindings. I'd like my knees and lower legs to be able to move a bit, like they can on water so that's what prompted this idea. I hope it works.
Hope for you, that you will be able to avoid tumbling and crashes with only one foot in your "binding"... :roll:

Return to “Snow / Land”