Forum for snow- and landkiters
jens_buhl
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: snowkite boards vs snowboards

Postby jens_buhl » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:45 pm

frankm1960 wrote:Check out my "new" bindings :lol: Just put them on last week and looking forward to trying them out this year. ... It's a rough prototype right now. ... I hope it works.
Hope for you, that you will be able to avoid tumbling and crashes with only one foot in your "binding"... :roll:

geir
Medium Poster

Postby geir » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:59 pm

frankm1960 wrote:
geir wrote:Don't care what it's called - if I could get rid of 'edge burn' I'd be happy ! A semi pro snowboarder once looked at my board and said it was the worst case of edge burn he'd ever seen.

In my mind I thought snowkite specific board meant less sidecut, true centered stance and better lamination. After reading your comment guys I might as well just stick to normal sticks.

Geir (from AlwaysIcyConditionsIceland)
Why don't you flip your bindings around and use the other edge for a while?
Unless of course you can't because your board is no where near a true TT.

If you ride on icy conditions then your board edges are gonna take a beating. I wore my old snowboard edges pretty bad because of icy conditions.
Thanks for the tip - already did that. You're right those icy conditions really beat up the board. It's pretty much centered so it was doable. Having rocks and crap I now have a board I don't have to worry about - which is an ease of mind. Just spend some time in the garage with beer and those plyethelyne sticks after a good session.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:37 am

geir wrote:
frankm1960 wrote:
geir wrote:Don't care what it's called - if I could get rid of 'edge burn' I'd be happy ! A semi pro snowboarder once looked at my board and said it was the worst case of edge burn he'd ever seen.

In my mind I thought snowkite specific board meant less sidecut, true centered stance and better lamination. After reading your comment guys I might as well just stick to normal sticks.

Geir (from AlwaysIcyConditionsIceland)
Why don't you flip your bindings around and use the other edge for a while?
Unless of course you can't because your board is no where near a true TT.

If you ride on icy conditions then your board edges are gonna take a beating. I wore my old snowboard edges pretty bad because of icy conditions.
Thanks for the tip - already did that. You're right those icy conditions really beat up the board. It's pretty much centered so it was doable. Having rocks and crap I now have a board I don't have to worry about - which is an ease of mind. Just spend some time in the garage with beer and those plyethelyne sticks after a good session.
It's funny but I just watched a video of a couple people snow kiting in ice land. The conditions were absolutely gorgeous. Snow was deep and white and the vistas were like nothing else. Are you snow kiting on the lava flows? jus kidding :)

But ya icy stuff sucks. Kills the boards and the knees.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:47 am

jens_buhl wrote:
frankm1960 wrote:Check out my "new" bindings :lol: Just put them on last week and looking forward to trying them out this year. ... It's a rough prototype right now. ... I hope it works.
Hope for you, that you will be able to avoid tumbling and crashes with only one foot in your "binding"... :roll:
Are you thinking that I won't be able to keep my back foot in the strap? I've been wondering if I'll be able to keep both feet in there or are they going to fly out all the time and I go head over heals.

My thinking is that the deeper the snow the more it feels like being on water so I can't see why a similar style of foot straps on my snow board wouldn't work just as well. But we'll see :)

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:32 am

BobandLaurel wrote:There's no such thing as a snowkite board. :D

bob
Hehe at least someone is paying attention this technology wasn't invented by the kite industry t
That's for sure :D
Why not call it what it really is a deep powder board

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:19 am

i've said this dozens of times

in really shalllow snow or ice with little or no snow,
try super short sticks.
ski-blades, 60-99 cm skis.
or
an absurdley short snow-board,
mine is a 130cm

my all purpose kite sno board is a Libtech MCKinck
its like a skate banana

the critical thing to look for is twin tip even sided stance

rocker on a sno-board,....
is it stiff enough to stay rockery
when you are riding against it
when the weight of your feet flatten it?

ragden
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Wildwood, NJ
Style: Snowkiting/Kitebuggy
Gear: Flysurfer Outlaw 8 & 12 meter
HQ Beamer III 5 meter
JoJo RS 3.5meter

Postby ragden » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:00 pm

I have the first model twisted velocity and love the board. I was on a twin-tip prior to that and enjoyed it, but felt like I was "fighting the sidecut" of the board. With the Velocity, its a smooth ride, and very enjoyable. As I do a lot of water riding in the warmer months, having a board that rides on snow like my water boards is very nice. It makes the transition from one sport to the other a lot easier.

On the downside, it does not like light-cover, or rough conditions. Those are pretty painful, but they were on the old twin-tip I used as well.

For the average rider, I would recommend grabbing a twin-tip snowboard, or using an older one someone else has so you can get introduced to the sport. Then find someone who will you borrow their snowkite board so you can try it and see if you like it. It really is a matter of personal opinion on the board. If you like it, great, if you dont, find something you do and ride that... No harm no foul.
:)

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:54 pm

I love the diversity in this thread every year it comes out.

Doesn't it seem like you need the correct "Tool" for your own conditions? Every wonder why there are so many different shapes of snowboards.

I like this disscusion and every year I like to chime in.

If you want one board to do everything on all surfaces you are shit out of luck.

Todays Snowkiteboards are made for snowkiting they are cost no more then a snowboard made of simular materails, they are desighned to work with the kite. The are made to track differently, and provide Pop at take off and flex for landing in the tip and tail.

Down hill snowboard are made to turn on both edges and provide rebound, twist, tilt. They work with a kite just fine but do not provide the proper track or torsional flex to allow the rider to be as stroung and comfortable. Plus If the shape you are riding is not a twin then you have even more issues with flex and track.

Lastley surface plays a role, Many off the rockered shapes will hold a sick edge on ice with a nice sharp edge, but snowkiteboards get beat up and edges dull so a board that has camber is forced to flex and create bite at the start and end points of the radius, even if there are several like on a magna traction board, this forced flex allow a cambered board to grip and track.

softer snow that you can edge easily on provides a much better grip and allows the shape of the side cut and the camber or rocker profile to work together so much more shapes an be used to deveolp the board feel the shaper wants.

Then off course there are pow days when shape and camber of rocker profile dictate the boards charcter.

Most Snowkiteboards Crush snowboards under a kite when compared side by side, unless the conditions are so shitty it just doesn't mater just like Marty and some others have said.

You can kite with out binding James Brown and I have boards with Deck pads that work great. I use a directional burton fish with a no-board pad that is a blast in freash snow under a kite, it is a snowboard but since I want to do a spacific task with it it works fine!!

I have seen a bunch of guys ride just water straps on snow doing one footers and board offs also.

I jhave also seen water boards used on pow days. as well as hocky skates, snowblades, skiis planks of wood etc.... They can all work. Finding what you like is what is important, then go and have fun.

Billy Bordy
Team Ozone
and well in this case ex pro snowboarder/coach

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:27 pm

BIlly B just out of curiosity how well did the water boards work on the powder days. Seems some kite specific snowboards use the shame shape.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster

Postby frankm1960 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:03 am

Billy B. wrote: ...

You can kite with out binding James Brown and I have boards with Deck pads that work great. I use a directional burton fish with a no-board pad that is a blast in freash snow under a kite, it is a snowboard but since I want to do a spacific task with it it works fine!!

I have seen a bunch of guys ride just water straps on snow doing one footers and board offs also.

I jhave also seen water boards used on pow days. as well as hocky skates, snowblades, skiis planks of wood etc.... They can all work. Finding what you like is what is important, then go and have fun.

Billy Bordy
Team Ozone
and well in this case ex pro snowboarder/coach
That's what I was hoping to hear :thumb: I'm looking forward to eliminating rigid boots and bindings :)
You're right on about conditions...I can only use my kite snow board when there's decent snow, otherwise I use skis (late model) and if it's really bad I'll use some skis from the late 70's (are they ever heavy) :lol:

Return to “Snow / Land”