Style: freeride, freestyle
Gear: core kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

2011 Litewave Wing

Postby jb8431 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:40 am

2011 160X45 Litewave Wing Review.
185 lb rider

If you want to limit your kite quiver to kites that are12m and under you will find yourself both pleased with a big board like this and challenged to do things on it others would say you couldn't. This type of board is for those of you who like myself have a blast in light wind as well as ballistic 7m wind. With a 12m kite and 85kg or under you won't need a bigger kite in 10mph + wind. Any heavier than 85kg and you may need a bigger kite, but 14m-15m tops no problem.
Below 10mph you will need a dedicated light wind kite or 40m lines which is called Hi altitude stratusphere kiting and requires an instrument rating and an FAA flight plan. I can sell you a certificate if you need one, it only requires a short video and a 10 question post test. 1st 10 applicants are free.

I have ridden a 2007 Spleene door 164x44 for the last 2 years and it has been a great session saver especially when the wind conditions don't pan out. As I have progressed over the last 2 years I have liked my spleene less and less.

This last month I tried the Wing and I was very suprised to find that it was much more lively and fun to ride than my older spleene. I haven't ridden the newer spleene Door so I can't compare to them.

Here is the bottom line:

Wing jumps way easier, it has much better release off the water and more stiff in the tips, but still nice flex throughout. The concave seems to break up the surface tension between the board and the water and makes the board feel more lively and gives a good feel when carving. I was riding this board in light wind in the surf not really wave riding but having a blast carving heel to toe and getting great jumps off the kickers. The rocker improves the charge out through surf 100% and gives you a great kickstart jumping off the waves. I had so much more fun on this board compared to my spleene.

The wing doesn't point to wind as well as the spleene, but the enjoyment of riding it by far exceeds that loss. Lowend is the same, it will just take a few more jibes to get to an upwind destination.

Jumping, carving, and toeside riding is a breeze and requires much less attention to technique than the spleene which really didn't carve well at all in my opinion. I am sure someone could push it, but it isn't really fun. The Wing is fun. I was very suprised that this board was as good as it is. Any big TT like this will out perform a surf board in light wind for lowend kiting, but the wing has the rocker and the cocave that make the board more fun than a flat bottom TT in my opinion.

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2011 Litewave Wing

Postby hudstur » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:19 am

Totally agree with you on the WING. Lightwave Dave nailed this one. I have not seen anyone or combination of board and sail that has upwinded my 15m and Wing. Never have buried the nose in the surf and the flex really kicks in when dropping in on a wave. The construction and graphics are so well that at first sight I wanted to mount it over my fireplace, but instead got the DaKine bag for her. Can't wait for the redesigned new pads and straps to arrive next month from Lightwave. Four of us now here on the WING and stoked.

BBkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Delray

Postby BBkiter » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:09 am

Ha Ha Hudstr you don't HAVE a FIRE PLACE!!!! You live in FL -but you could use one tonight! :lol: the Wing is also known by me and Big Steve as the Session Saver!!! It's the best board -better than the door I that got stolen!!!

willysand
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: GK GLOBEKITES

Postby willysand » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:22 am

jb8431 wrote:2011 160X45 Litewave Wing Review.
185 lb rider

If you want to limit your kite quiver to kites that are12m and under you will find yourself both pleased with a big board like this and challenged to do things on it others would say you couldn't. This type of board is for those of you who like myself have a blast in light wind as well as ballistic 7m wind. With a 12m kite and 85kg or under you won't need a bigger kite in 10mph + wind. Any heavier than 85kg and you may need a bigger kite, but 14m-15m tops no problem.
Below 10mph you will need a dedicated light wind kite or 40m lines which is called Hi altitude stratusphere kiting and requires an instrument rating and an FAA flight plan. I can sell you a certificate if you need one, it only requires a short video and a 10 question post test. 1st 10 applicants are free.

I have ridden a 2007 Spleene door 164x44 for the last 2 years and it has been a great session saver especially when the wind conditions don't pan out. As I have progressed over the last 2 years I have liked my spleene less and less.

This last month I tried the Wing and I was very suprised to find that it was much more lively and fun to ride than my older spleene. I haven't ridden the newer spleene Door so I can't compare to them.

Here is the bottom line:

Wing jumps way easier, it has much better release off the water and more stiff in the tips, but still nice flex throughout. The concave seems to break up the surface tension between the board and the water and makes the board feel more lively and gives a good feel when carving. I was riding this board in light wind in the surf not really wave riding but having a blast carving heel to toe and getting great jumps off the kickers. The rocker improves the charge out through surf 100% and gives you a great kickstart jumping off the waves. I had so much more fun on this board compared to my spleene.

The wing doesn't point to wind as well as the spleene, but the enjoyment of riding it by far exceeds that loss. Lowend is the same, it will just take a few more jibes to get to an upwind destination.

Jumping, carving, and toeside riding is a breeze and requires much less attention to technique than the spleene which really didn't carve well at all in my opinion. I am sure someone could push it, but it isn't really fun. The Wing is fun. I was very suprised that this board was as good as it is. Any big TT like this will out perform a surf board in light wind for lowend kiting, but the wing has the rocker and the cocave that make the board more fun than a flat bottom TT in my opinion.

I ride the wing 153X45 for 2 years now and before, like you I used some spleene too.

The wing is for me the best ever freeride lighy wind board we need. Note that I love to use my 153X45 for surfing with my 12m² or 17m² kite.

My weight is 75kg.

Return to “Reviews”