Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hard working kiter wanted - Commercial Fishing Job - Alaska

Forum for kitesurfers
DesertWind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: I live between Homer, Alaska, Washington, DC and Oahu, Hawaii.
Favorite Beaches: I love kiting and teaching in places where the scene is just getting off the ground and everyone is psyched to learn. Personally, I like riding at my home beach in Homer, Alaska, snowkiting in Flagstaff, Arizona, and almost anywhere in the Caribbean. South Padre Island, TX and Cape Hatteras, NC are great for riding and teaching too. Now that we are in Hawaii a lot, I am really loving the small, tight wave focused scene on Oahu.
Style: Anything with a kite.
Gear: I ride anything safe and fun.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hard working kiter wanted - Commercial Fishing Job - Alaska

Postby DesertWind » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:40 am

This might seem like an odd post, but I am looking for a hard working kiter to work with me as a crew member at my commercial fishing site in Bristol Bay Alaska. I am a long time kiter and run KiteSurf Alaska (www.kitesurfalaska.com) in the summer as well as Desert Wind Kiteboarding (www.desertwindkiteboarding.com) where I winter in Arizona. Since I will be kiting as well as fishing, I was thinking it would be ideal if I could find a hard worker who will also kite with me!

The type of fishing I do is called setnetting, which is a shore based style of gill net fishing for red (sockeye) salmon. I worked for 10 year on boats and recently bought this permit so I could kite and sleep on shore at night. It's much more civilized. The area of Bristol Bay we setnet in is called Ugashik. This is a unique opportunity to see a beautiful and remote part of Alaska and to make some money and get some cold water kiting in the process. Wildlife, scenery, rustic living and of course fish are all part of the experience.

But, of course the job comes first, so in addition to being a kiter, I am looking for someone fairly specific for this job. I are looking for a male crewmember with some or all of these attributes:
-Physically strong (very active, athlete types are ideal)
-Accustomed to hard outdoor work (must have experience in outdoor/physical work. Fishing experience is good but not a must. Construction, raft guiding, type job experience are good.)
-Easy-going & mellow attitude (I need to be able to live with you for 30 days in the middle of nowhere)
-Fast learner and willing to work hard (fishing is anything but predictable so some times we will fish day after with little sleep, and other times we will have entire days off)

Pay and time commitment:
-We pay for a plane ticket from Anchorage, Alaska to where we fish.
-We provide all food and housing.
-We need a crewmember for about 30 days (June 20-July 30).
-Pay is 10% of total catch (a job perk is that i'll get you any kite gear you want for cost).

We live here in Flagstaff, AZ, during the winter and would like to meet anyone who is interested in this job. A face to face meeting is absolutely a must so if you dont live in the area, consider how we can meet.

Please call or email me to off the forum if your interested. No shit kickers. Serious, qualified kiters only.
Traveler – 907 299 1119 \ info@desertwindkiteboarding.com

mikeysfl
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Hard working kiter wanted - Commercial Fishing Job - Alaska

Postby mikeysfl » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:11 am

I doubt that there exists such a thing as a "hard working kiter", but good luck. Most kiters I know are lazy.

DesertWind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: I live between Homer, Alaska, Washington, DC and Oahu, Hawaii.
Favorite Beaches: I love kiting and teaching in places where the scene is just getting off the ground and everyone is psyched to learn. Personally, I like riding at my home beach in Homer, Alaska, snowkiting in Flagstaff, Arizona, and almost anywhere in the Caribbean. South Padre Island, TX and Cape Hatteras, NC are great for riding and teaching too. Now that we are in Hawaii a lot, I am really loving the small, tight wave focused scene on Oahu.
Style: Anything with a kite.
Gear: I ride anything safe and fun.

Re: Hard working kiter wanted - Commercial Fishing Job - Ala

Postby DesertWind » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:19 pm

I hired Tyler Sterling from Salt Lake City, UT and we had an amazing summer--caught tons of fish and kited 30-40 sessions in perfect conditions!

Tyler is looking to buy his own permit so I will probably be looking for another crew member this 2011 season. If your interested give me a shout.

Here are some videos and images from this last season.
VIDEOS:
Kiting Bristol bay -- http://vimeo.com/14081910
Bears in front of my cabin -- http://vimeo.com/14483943
Fishing in Bristol Bay -- http://vimeo.com/14158293

PHOTOS:
Pics of fish camp -- http://www.travelerphotography.com/blog ... index.html

Traveler Terpening
Desert Wind Kiteboarding
www.desertwindkiteboarding.com
info@desertwindkiteboarding.com

cnski
Medium Poster

Postby cnski » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:26 pm

As I was reading your post I was thinking to myself "that sounds like the job Tyler had last summer?" Great guy. Tyler did a photoessay on our local kite forum of last summer. It was spectacular and looked like a great experience. I'm half tempted to take all the vacation saved from my real job to join you!

http://utahwindriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7622

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:41 am

20 years less and I would be your man.
What a good way to discover new places, meet new people, ....... .
Nico

Kurt858
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kurt858 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:41 am

Trust me, the sockeye season is not easy. Worked up there at the Egegik River last summer on a 32 foot boat. Came to shore once.

Digging around in the mud setnetting didn't look so bad after one month with no shower.

I would be interested in working for you at some point...

btw, ever kite Egegik? The river mouth could be sweet, especially at low tide.

My video from this summer (captain and other crew know how to kite, but we were too tired to do anything but eat, sleep, and fish):

[vimeo] http://vimeo.com/15489743 [/vimeo]

Kurt

DvB
Rare Poster
Gear: Switch Nitro 5, 12 & 9

Postby DvB » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:02 am

I'm with Nico on this one, 22 years ago I was travelling around Australia on a bicycle, and I took a job on a fishing trawler operating out of Cairns. It was tough, 3 people on a 49 ft wooden trawler, 2 deckhands and a skipper, out at sea for 3 months, but it was one of those experiences for me that shape and define you as a person. I'm a businessman now, and my life doesn't allow for such extended adventures at the moment, but, if you have the opportunity to do something like this, grasp it with both hands. One caveat, however, only if you are easy going, a boat in a remote place is a very, very small environment, and no place for prima donnas, (unless you are the skipper!).

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:09 am

I started fishing in Bristol Bay when I was 18 and spent about 25 years having all kinds of hardcore adventures out on the water. I sold my boat on 2007. I would love to get back up there and kite behind some of those flats some day.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:43 pm

I'd definitely apply if I were half my age.

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:47 pm

This looks like a dream job.Is it for one year or permantly?I live in Greece where things are going from bad to worst without we the ordinary hard working people blame in anything..If i loose my job :( i will aply for sure.Have luck with your quest!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”