Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Has anyone tried bindingless/strapless snowkiting? etc...

Forum for snow- and landkiters
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Has anyone tried bindingless/strapless snowkiting? etc..

Postby fernmanus » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:02 am

Alex,

You crack me up! Asking about bindlingless/strapless solutions before you have even tried snowkiting. Let me guess, you were one of those guys that was asking how to jump before you even flew a trainer kite :rollgrin:

I don't know one rider that rides strapless on a regular basis on the snow. I live in Utah and I have only seen guys mess around with strapless riding for a few minutes. I personally am not that coordinated, but I can tell you that I would be losing boards in the powder on a regular basis if I decided to go that direction.

As far as bindings go - a lot of riders like to take the high backs off of regular snowboard binding and many of us use the old K2 clickers. I like the K2 clickers.

I would like to try the pivot system in the video.

BTW, Alex your FS kites work great on the snow!

Kenny

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:43 am

Strapless in snow is straight up kooky (EDIT: if your a rookie to snow). While your at it, you might wanna try snowkiting barefoot. Its about as reasonable.

Not comparable to water at all. Most times your on a combo of hardpack and some powder.

One of those things where you will realize how kooky that question is after your first day on snow.

You dont have to re invent the wheel. Just get out and ride.

Flow bindings are the runaway fave up here. Almost any ol snowboard will do. Try and centre your stance as much as you can. Duck out both feet 10-15 degrees. Wear a helmet. Oh yeah, seeing as your new to it, maybe some knee pads under your snowpants. You'll thank me for that one.

I've heard of guys taking the high back off their snowboard bindings to make it more like straps, but its not for me. Do yourself a favor and learn the ropes with normal bindings before you kook it out.
Last edited by Starsky on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:56 am

Starsky wrote: I've heard of guys taking the high back off their snowboard bindings to make it more like straps, but its not for me.
That's what I have done. It's much more comfortable for me that way. easier to get boots in and out too. Would like to get Flow bindings. Not sure I would want the rotating bindings though, mostly wondering if they would ice up? It would be nice to change stance though..

Someone came up with this idea (rotating plates) about 5-6 years ago to make riding the lifts easier. Don't think it took off too well. They were over $100 for the adapter plates I recall.

another few pieces of gear worth mentioning:
- butt pads: they make this sort of thing for mountain bike shorts, protects your bum and also adds comfort if you're sitting on the snow/ice resting
- elbow & knee pads & helmet: agreed with above...if you land on ice with your elbows, knees, ass or head you're gonna feel some real pain.
- ice screw with tether and carabiner if your on a frozen lake
- ice pick for self rescue if there is any doubt about ice thickness

also, make sure you wax your board/skis. any icing on the bases will feck your ride

To get started make sure you pick out a good spot, proper snow coverage, at least a mile of clean fetch. gusty/shifty conditions suck, and you can easily get started in 10-15 kts with a 9-12m kite.

fixed some bad spelling - sorry

PS...to be fair, the guy starting this thread is a beginner so just trying to keep on track with pertinent advice. any notions of riding strapless are rather esoteric.
Last edited by robertovillate on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:35 am

This is the webpage ... in French though
http://www.snowkitepivotsystem.com/

kitesurfrabbi
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfrabbi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:28 pm

http://vimeo.com/13250498

good luck doin that with a kite! especially if you're new to snowkiting... :thumb:

and for the more surfy kinda guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYspbjYc ... 580108001E

kitesurfrabbi
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfrabbi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:31 pm

kitesurfrabbi
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfrabbi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:35 pm

now, browsing through the archives i am sold on trying this out with a kite this winter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfM10ZA0 ... re=related

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:53 pm

Some great video there for sure, but just a couple points.

1. Powder and wind dont coexist for long at all unless your up way above tree line where there is just crazy snow fall and have a chopper to get there..

2. If you live somewhere that pow surfing is feasible, you already know all about snowboarding and wont be kooking it on this forum about starting kiting without bindings.

3. Most of the planet doesn't get that kind of snow, basically ever. If you were to try that here you would maybe get out once a half decade! We do however have a totally viable snowkite season and tons of lakes on which to ride. The conditions however pretty much require bindings. Those conditions in the vids are no dif than watching videos of huge tubing aquamarine blue waves, but you live in florida where its really only dirty blown out beachbreak. If you wanna try that with a kite your in for a relocation and frustration cause again, see point 1.

kitesurfrabbi
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfrabbi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:21 pm

starky are you talking about me?
i live in austria and we do get some days of powder and wind. not that many, but enough to goof around.

i live in the east of austria where you need to drive 3 hours to get to the real mountains, but our hills are a perfect snowkite terrain when there is snow (2-3 weeks per winter).

when i'm in the mountains and the conditions are right, you won't find me under a kite... :bye:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:49 pm

No man, No criticism of you at all.

Those are kinda neat vids and I would try it in a heartbeat. The last few are killer, but like you said, when conditions are right for that kind of thing your not going to bother with the kite. Those guys get into the minimalism and simplicity of the ride. Adding a kite doesn't really fit that wavelength!

More speaking to the OP.

Really if he is just getting into snowkiting he's better off learning in bindings to get some perspective. Save the re inventing for when he has a season or two of snow under his boots. Whatever tho, mine is just an opinion. He can go and try whatever he want as long as its not gonna hurt anyone but himself or cost anyone access.

I'm sure it is possible to kite on snow with no bindings, and I bet someone will make it look really cool, but I'm pretty sure its not commonly feasible nor easy. Unhooked sliding rails on a snow skate like used in the first few vids could be pretty cool. But its like the guys wakeskating with kites now. Kind of advanced stuff and not the first board you hit the water with. Possible? yes, pretty much any board is possible, but not really as accessible as going strapless on water. A rookie could learn on a surfboard, but I am sure a pow surfer would not be as easy. Guys have tried everything with kites (and so they should) from mono skis to telemark gear to dog sleds. By far and away the most common is snowboards and skis. If your looking to try the sport I suggest you start there.

Do I wanna see some guy killing it in killer terrain unhooked on a pow surfer. Absolutely! Will he/she be new to snowkiting. Not a chance.

Return to “Snow / Land”