snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: snowkite boards vs snowboards

Postby snobdr » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:50 pm

thats like saying snowboarding and skateboarding are the same. The ATB rides flat, the snowboard rides on the edge. I dont think anyone is saying its not possible, but why ride straps and be worn out in 15 minutes instead boots that let you ride all day
What im saying is the strap system is the same. Why would you be tired out after 15 mins? You ride a water board on edge all day and arnt worn out. Oh wait thats on water, totally different right. We are talking about a strap system. Let it be on water or land or snow. Its holding your foot in.

My point was that landboarders ride the same style of strap. Yes there is the possibility of twisting an ankle ect, But no more then on a landboard or for that matter when your on a snowboard pushing to a lift with your foot out.

Why would you need to body drag in snow? Stand up and walk! Your on land remember.

knewschool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Sandy, Palisades, Mud Lake, Jackson Lake...
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek, Sherman Island

Snow kite spots are growing fastly and epicly.
Style: Wake, Big loops, Glides
Gear: Ozone kites, Xenon boards, Velocity Twisted, B3 Split Boards
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, Xenon, B3, Twisted

Postby knewschool » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:44 pm

You ride shallow or hard snow if you can walk in it.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:56 pm

snobdr wrote: What im saying is the strap system is the same. Why would you be tired out after 15 mins? You ride a water board on edge all day and arnt worn out. Oh wait thats on water, totally different right. We are talking about a strap system. Let it be on water or land or snow. Its holding your foot in.

My point was that landboarders ride the same style of strap. Yes there is the possibility of twisting an ankle ect, But no more then on a landboard or for that matter when your on a snowboard pushing to a lift with your foot out.
the pressure on the feet is quite different from water and snow. in particular the tibialis anterior for snowboarding takes a beating, for which boots help immensely. try it you'll see. for landboarding there is no pressure on the tibialis anterior, it's all back and upper leg muscles.

DenisLaMenace
Medium Poster
Local Beach: It's a secret spot
Favorite Beaches: Ask flipper231
Style: I'm French Canadian so my style is weird
Gear: Everything that can fit into my Honda Odyssey
Brand Affiliation: Webmaster at http://www.kiteforum.ca

Postby DenisLaMenace » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:52 am

the max angle of rotation and the pressure for rotating are both adjustable.

check this video of PBK who made his own setup. some freestyle is not issue. may be wakestyle is not suitable.

windrupted wrote:"I guess such bindings are OK if you will be just riding carefully left and right, but if you start practicing some freestyle elements it might get to a dangerous point. Snow is much stiffer than water in many cases, there could be some ice or land bits sticking out of the snow. And bad landing of a jump will put more strain on your ankles when you will be wearing winter boots, and not snowboard boots.

Also it will be much more difficult to drop off your board wearing winter boots than it is with bare feet in the water - in the water the surface is more slippery. So you'll end up with one foot in the board, as guys said before.

So if something goes wrong you could break or twist your ankle - it will be much easier than wearing the traditional snowboard boots. So take care and watch for the snow conditions when you will be riding!"

These observations are correct. I also wish for a bit more freedom of movement than is afforded by my traditional snowboard bindings, but I know that all the one foot out pro shit you see will f*** up your knees and ankles for life. It comes from skateboarding. I hate that boneless shit on a skateboard too, only a landlocked skate rat would get bored enough to invent such sillyness. But on a skateboard you are not going to screw your leg off at the knee if it goes badly. Don't buy it, you wont get any Redbull money either way so dont do it. Unless you like compound fractures....if you still feel the need to pose faux pro drink some high fructose corn syrup laced with guarana.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:39 am

Twisted :thumb: Last year I made the comment about quality of snow kiteboards, Gimme one and I'll delaminate it, and was slammed, Its good to see others are having the same problems. Hopefully the manufacturers listen. There is really no difference in current Tech, between a snowboard or kiteboard. You can find plethora of shapes of Snowboards/Kitesnowboard that work will for specific conditions. Twisted I have been told works great in POW with kite. Lib Tec shaped boards with the serrated Beefed up edges I really would like to try on Crud and Pow, and the Board is not kitespecific.

Shoe
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Gear: RRD Obsession 13.5
RRD Obsession 9.5
RRD Emotion 10

Postby Shoe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:42 am

Denis, sweet video! I like how you shot it yourself, yet, the action never stops! Nicely done!

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:38 pm

This thread should really be "Which Shapes Work Best For Kiting". It really doesn't matter if the board says kite on it or not. The Twisted - continuous rocker and reverse sidecut is a great shape for kiting. Its pretty much exactly the same design as the Lib Tech Banana Hammock. There are some real interesting shapes "out there" that may be interesting as well with the tech on wavy edges and rockered vs. cambered boards. Some have a flatter sidecut and a flatter profile between the bindings. Some are more continuous. Some claim to be rockered and cambered which really doesn't make sense & sounds like hype. I think I've seen enough boards being ridden by really good riders that indicates that they all work and rider skill probably matters more than anything.

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Yeah, all those variations and compromises in the designs are going to make a difference, and so far one brand (Lib Tech) leads the way by a long-shot. They don't shop out the labor work to factories overseas either, (as far as I know). All of the employees/owners who make the boards are actual snowboarders, many of them are pros with over 20 years experience and extremely high ability in a very critical environment. I want a board that can get me down/across a sketchy crusty rocky face and get me home again, I dont ride in bottomless fluff that often because wind converts it to wind pack pretty quickly. Yeah the best stash is a protected gulley or windlip but I have to do some tricky edgework to access that area, sometimes hanging for dear life from an overpowered kite in gusty storm conditions.

Lib Technologies/Gnu (Mervyn Mfg.) of Seattle are the ones who dreamed up and developed these innovations, it's well known.

BK
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: CABRINHA Rider and Representative

Postby BK » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:59 pm

snobdr wrote:Really theres not much difference between what he is doing and how we ride atb or mountain board. I wear sneakers doing that. You learn quickly how to get rid of the board.
the difference is substantial because the the board with wheels is pretty flat while riding, while the snowboard needs to be on edge in a pretty big way. Using straps like that without support going up on back of the leg will make edging impossible...but hey, trying new stuff is how we learn, so that's cool.

I did a short video comparison of a standard snowboard, and compared to the Cabrinha Empire snowkiting board here, http://www.unitedboardsports.com/snowboard ...just click on "Buyers Tips & Advice"

ragden
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Wildwood, NJ
Style: Snowkiting/Kitebuggy
Gear: Flysurfer Outlaw 8 & 12 meter
HQ Beamer III 5 meter
JoJo RS 3.5meter

Postby ragden » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:26 pm

BK wrote:...
Using straps like that without support going up on back of the leg will make edging impossible...but hey, trying new stuff is how we learn, so that's cool.
I have to disagree with that statement. When you ride on water, you lean back and ride pretty serioulsy on edge, and you have no support up the back of your leg. There are also plenty of riders on snow who are removing the back plates from their bindings, and are riding just fine.

Personally, I removed the back plate on mine, but I havent tried riding it that way yet (removed it late in the season last year, and didnt get a chance to test it). I am looking forward to getting a chance to test that setup. I will, however, be bringing those pieces a long just in case I want to put them back in there...
:)

Return to “Snow / Land”