joakim76
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Soma Bay - Egypt - Which hotel and which kitecenter

Postby joakim76 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:25 pm

Hmm, that sounds bad :oops:

Anyone else with similar experience or other opinions ?

20 EUR for one rescue seems a lot !

Toby - Have you talked to the guy you know ? What´s his/hers name ?

/J

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:39 pm

joakim76 wrote:Hmm, that sounds bad :oops:
20 EUR for one rescue seems a lot !
Specially for a Off Shore wind location

I have never been to Soma Bay but I went to El Gouna.
I guess that the main wind direction is the same.
If the kite center location is correct in the kitebeach database, I guess that the center has off shore wind most of the time.

They must make a fortune :rollgrin:

deevious
Medium Poster

Postby deevious » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:25 am

Soma Bay's not cheap.
But you do get what you pay for.
There's not a lot of kiteclubs that offer the kind of facilities that they do.
If you can be happy with less, there's for sure other clubs around that'll be happy with less too.
As for the actual price, when I went this summer I paid about 90€ for 2 weeks; storage, facility use and rescue all included. Granted, they do enforce a cap on the number of rescues you get for that amount, but by steering clear of beginners, that was still way more than I needed.

Having been to quite a few clubs in Egypt, there isn't one that I would recommend more.
Club Mistral @ Ras Sudr has great spot, but it's a hefty walk to the water, the hotel sucks and there's no lockable storage (just hang your kite on that hook over there. Seriously? Yup)
Club Mistral @ Safaga only started getting somewhat serious about kiting a few years ago and is still run by windsurfers. So it's in no way set up specifically for kiters. Moreover the spot is really choppy
Colona @ Sharm. Fairly OK but the wind sucks in summer time and the rescue is human powered (no engined watercrafts allowed in the lagoon).
Mövenpick @ El Gouna. Despite what the centre manager told me the area is severely tide dependent. So you have to hope that the tide and the wind allign. Moreover, not a lot of space to get out of the sun for a rest in between sessions.

Have a look at the prices of the centres and then compare what you get for that.

My only advice in dealing with 7bft would be to get in touch with them before going there and agree on what the price will be for the time you'll be there. The 20€ seems excessive. Especially taking into account that there official single day price is 10€. Wouldn't mind hearing their side of the story too to know what exactly went down.

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:46 am

deevious wrote: Mövenpick @ El Gouna. Despite what the centre manager told me the area is severely tide dependent. So you have to hope that the tide and the wind allign.
I spent 2 weeks at the Mövenpick @ El Gouna in october.
This is true that the lagoon at low tide is shalow BUT there is always enough water to get out of the lagoon to the open water (at least when I was there).
Then you have a hudge second lagoon, which can be a problem as I was told that the rescue boat can enter it.
I was there with the wife and kid. The Mövenpick was really the perfect place for the three of us.
I did not kite to the second "public spot" in El Gouna (Mangroovy beach), but from the Mövenpick you can see that there was a lot of kiter over there.
deevious wrote:Moreover, not a lot of space to get out of the sun for a rest in between sessions.
I was a guest at the Mövenpick hotel you we had access to the beach beds and the beach umbrella. I do not know what is the situation if you are only kiting there.
But if you are not a guest at the Mövenpick. I guess that you will kite to Mangroovy beach.

dankite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: north french coast
Franceville
Berck
Col du Lautaret
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
La Franki
Franceville
Berck
Col du Lautaret
Style: Freeride and Snowkite
Gear: EVO II 10 et 12 M2
Frenzy 6,5 - 8,0 - 9,5
Trax IV 130 X 38
PLXR
Brand Affiliation: CLUB AKIF

Postby dankite » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:26 pm

Toby wrote:if you stay directly in Soma Bay, go to the Breakers...kiter run hotel, great selection of food. A manager that cares, you will see. And not expensive, well worth its money!

The water at the 7bft is very flat, while Interconti is choppy. Interconti is also better during winter, due to higher water in the lagoon, so you have a huge shallow area.

Winds in Egypt are gustier in general
How you go to Soma bay being to this Hôtel that means about 2 Km acording to Google Maps and do you have a link about . I think I'll try in May 2011 provides its better than Intercontinental .
I like so much this place because the Flat Lagoon very close to my bed ( less than 100 M ! )

See you soon , always in Cumbuco ? concerning me I start the Soft Kite ( 9 Oulaw in Paris area under snow )

joakim76
Rare Poster

Postby joakim76 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:49 am

Hello !

Anyone else thinking about going here in april ?

/J

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:28 pm

I talked to the person that was mentioned in the other topic. A very nice person, helpful, fun, just nice. I found out why this posting was done, it is a personal thing of someone who wanted to do that job and talk bad about the manager to make her go...

So don't give much to that posting!

They charge for service, which are good for sure. You get something for your money!

And the Breakers is a fantastic, smaller, sweet hotel. Excellent selection of food, cool dinner ideas. They care about their guests.
And there is a shuttle every 30 min between all hotels or the Breakers to the 7Bft station.

If you book the Breakers and go with your girlfriend/wife, make sure to spend a bit more money and book an ocean side room...when you wake up it is like heaven! Beautiful water just next to you, and few palm trees in front...just lovely!

Scottk
Rare Poster

Postby Scottk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:37 am

I'm looking at going to Egypt around the 19th of April this year. So far Soma Bay looks favourite to be based from and I have only read good things about the breakers hotel. Might see you there :bye:

kiteingcolin1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ainsdale/westkirby/anglesey
Favorite Beaches: rosnigher
Style: old style
Gear: nobile 666,132 and 135, 2008

E.H.RIPPEHR, NEMI HP

Postby kiteingcolin1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:51 pm

I have been going to Egypt for 28 years, and have been to all the locations and more mentioned in this thread, be aware that as the years go by more hotels are adopting the fully inclusive deals, this has finished Egypt for me and my wife, the service and friendly Egyptian nature was fantastic for so many good years, you were really looked after, prices were so good, better than most other worldwide destinations, It was not unusual for us to spend 6-7 weeks a year out there, and when the shootings of the German tourists happened, the resorts were so quiet, and stayed that way for many years, then the Russian tourists started to go there in big numbers, and the fully inclusive deals started to come in, service levels took a nose dive, meal times became a war of nations, and for heavens sake why go on holiday to get drinks served in plastic cups, and tiny cups at that, all inclusive food turned out to be cheap fried rubbish more often than not,
then last year due to the clear theft of hotel money by staff fiddling their way to higher wages, they do it due to tips now being a long distant memory,and the wage levels are very low for the staff who relied on tips for making their pay up.
My work is running UK hotel/restaurants and if any Egyptian hotel owners want to know what is happing then I will tell all.
you are being robbed!! and its the customers who are loosing out along with the tourist industry.

I am typing this from my apartment in Tenerife, 2 weeks holiday not spent in Egypt, Ist time in 28 years, and never going back,

Return to “Kitesurfing”