Forum for snow- and landkiters
tikayak
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Sites on the Tug Hill

Postby tikayak » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:29 pm

To All Kiters we will be posting different places to kite on the Tug Hill but please when and if you post them on your site they are good for that season only. We go to the land owners every fall to get permission to use there land and keep in touch with then to see if everything went ok with them the past season. The sites also change on a regular rotation from alfalfa to corn and when they go to corn we take the site out of use because of possable injury from stalks sticking up. We have new site this year that was change back from corn to hay on the Porterdale farm which we will be flying soon and post pictures.
A IMPORTANT REMINDER TO NOT POCH ON PRIVATE LANDS. MAKE SURE YOU GET PERMISSION TO FLY.
It has taken us maney hours of driving the roads and meeting and talking with the land owners to get permission to fly on there land. So please do not mess it up like a kiter last year did trying to drive his van out into a land owners field to pick up his kite and knocked down a road sign in the proccess. That was a close call and we don't need any more of those. Thanks again Bob L , Jackie, Anne, Jan, and Bob D ,The Tug Hill Snow Kite Festival Team. So lets enjoy and we are going to have a great year up on the Tug. Jan :D

snowspider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: trying sylvan in 09
tug hill 09
Style: beginer
Gear: 2m , 3.6m , 5m , 9m foils ,,, 7+10m slingshot turbo diesle's
ski boards and home made "snow spider"

Re: New Sites on the Tug Hill

Postby snowspider » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:33 pm

Snow kite season is about to hit full bloom I hope there is a site directory soon. I posted my perspective on getting up on Tug Hill in another forum . See you all at the festival , if not sooner.
Thanks from me and my boys for all you put into it.

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:26 pm

When are we planning on putting up a map? Sometime next year? I saw the map and all seemed legit. Why have them take it down? Jan seems to want to control everything why not take a look at what was posted and give a yay ot nay? Why is this all coming out now when the snow is on the ground and people want to kite. Why was this not taken care of in the fall???
I love kiting up there and dont want to loose it as everyone else. Giving a map at least gives everyone an idea where to go and where not to. You are promoting the spot for kiting then backing down from the responsibility.
Those who know me know im going to voice my opinion, and i think this is crap.
Yea someone drove out to get their kite. Not a good thing i understand, but things like this are going to happen. Are you telling me things dont happen with the thousands on snowmobiles? What about ice fisherman getting stuck out on the ice when it thaws, get rescued, then they went back out on the ice. They are still there. Personally i dont want to hear that BS, Shit will happen. It has to be expected.
Now if you have maps posted like the one posted on the other site then people have a place to look. Oh we can ride here or there. If we ride this place we have to watch we dont go over there or dont do this.
Come on get it together. Jan you want to be the big cheese, get it done. Why have meetings now when we want to kite? Should have been done months ago. Signs and maps for the spots, we have been talking for 2 + years about it now. whens it going to get done??????
People put up maps so alt least we know where to go and you have them take it down???? We dont want all the crazys coming here and causing trouble. Well you either want to promote the spot or not Cant have it both ways.
Id have no problem coming up there, driving 5+ hours, sometime during the fall and spending a weekend getting permission finding new spots going to meetings whatever. Id do it just to make it better for everyone, not so i feel important, or to get false recognition.
Can we please get it together?
Last edited by snobdr on Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby rvrrat » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:42 pm

:nono: OK, I thought about this for a while and I just have to say that last post by snobdr is absurd. You are one rude dude. Your attitude fits right in down there in the lineup on the Jersey Shore. Reading this crap more often is gonna keep me form giving up my spots. Jan, you the man! JR

snobdr
Frequent Poster

Postby snobdr » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Yea rat i do have an attitude.
Thats fine if you dont want to give up YOUR spots. YOU found them. When your taking credit for what others have done, i get a tude.
A legit map was made of sites to kite. Most are the same spots that have been kiting for a few years now.
Why would you not want people to know where to kite? Especially if your trying to promote the sport and bring in revenue for the county? Why would you flip out when you were offered to put in your input on this map?
To me its just stupid.
Its about Control and Politics
when it should be about kiting.

krf
Rare Poster
Style: snow kite
Gear: Ozone Frenzy, Telemark Ski
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby krf » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:12 pm

In the past the Lowville Chamber of Commerce has provided a updated map to current snowkite locations where access is permitted by the land owners. Jan and a few of his crew have been instrumental in talking with land owners and local businesses for snow kiters to ride on private land on Tug HIll. They have taken the lead in this effort and we all should be grateful there are locals who devote this energy so that we can have legal access to ride our kites on private land.

I have been involved in the organization of many outdoor sports activities and I have to say that the coordination that Jan has built between the local population, chamber of commerce, snowmobiles and snow kiters is really astonishing.

The area is vast and has huge potential for unlimted riding possibilities and asking before you launch is really not that big of a deal. On the East Coast we do not have that many resources like the Tug Hill for wind and snow. A few kiters showing up with the wrong attitude could cause penalties for everyone.

Jan thanks for all your effort. I like the message you are delivering; Be safe, have fun and show respect.

snobdr
Frequent Poster

Postby snobdr » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:27 pm

Id like to thank the few locals that are behind the sceenes doing the real gruntwork to provide spots for us to kite. The few that give their time and really promote the sport. Not for gratitude, not for personal gain, not to feel in control, but like a real kiter! Just for the fun of it!!

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:15 am

yay another new map!
it will look good with my collection after i register
and collect it from THE Best and most confident, competent,
thoughtful, skilled, kite event co-ordinator i have ever known

bobalooie57
Medium Poster
Local Beach: snow kiting
Favorite Beaches: Tug Hill, NY has wind and snow! what more do you need!
Style: Snowboard, regular
Gear: Ozone kites, Atomic board

Postby bobalooie57 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:13 pm

Yes, there is another map. It was a project taken on by a few kiters, mainly because a question was asked on another forum, something like, is there a map that shows the sites that are allowed for flying? I know the county has in the past provided these maps, but I could not find a link to them. Since, in the last meeting I was at with the county, Jan, et al, we discussed the need for a map, and the county assured us it was being taken care of, it was left at that. When the question was asked, I went looking for the link, and found that the county's website still has last years information, and I could not find the link for the maps. Being a little cheesed, I took it upon myself, with the technical help of a few others, to help the county out and build the map for them. This was without thinking about the landowners rights to privacy, which I'm sure you all respect. This is why we took the link down. We are going to discuss this at our next meeting. It may involve no more than O.K.ing it with landowners. No one here is on a power trip, we all want to get out and ride. Jan had to be convinced go be involved this year, as he is getting tired of all the politics, and just wants to ride.(sorry to speak for you, bud but someone needs to) We just don't want to ruin our relationship with the landowners, who have little to gain by our being there. Sorry for the length of this post, but it needs to be discussed. Any ideas or suggestions for us to make this event better, are appreciated, and snobdr, you are welcome to come up and help organize the next fest, as Jan probably won't want to help out next year.

snobdr
Frequent Poster

Postby snobdr » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:22 pm

Thanks for the offer B-loo.
Im not big on politics either but would be more then happy to help. The kite fest is a great event but i would be more into promoting this great spot. Anyone that has ridden up on the tug knows what im talking about. It seems the county is all for it as it would bring in additional revenue for them. Id be more then happy to come up early in the fall before the season starts and make the rounds, get things organized, and make it easier to access information on this great spot.
As for the event, Im sure it takes more then what im thinking, but if you set a date, and a place to bring kiters together everything falls into line. After all its about having fun kiting.

Return to “Snow / Land”