Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Ram Air Inferiority - Updated + Hyperlinks

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:38 am

Yeah I'm not hating on the rider (although that guy in the white hat looks like Pierre the Nightmare from Kite Beach, was it?) but the point being LEI is rigid on the LE only ... for what it's worth.
twisted.jpg
twisted.jpg (104.97 KiB) Viewed 1027 times
5:07 is obviously not an example of LEI stability or rigidity either ...!

Ventman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Dos Mares
Style: Everything
Gear: All Kinds of Kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ventman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:59 am

Seriously.

I just read thru this thread, and the LEI faction is comparing new LEI kites to 3 year old Flysurfer designs. THe Speed 2 had stability issues, but things have moved on since then. The FS kites I have flown recently are just as stable as any modern LEI I have. So if you compare just be fair.

One could also look at the 2007 and 2008 North Rebels and "Judge" all LEI Kites to be unstable in High Winds. Then there are 2006 Waroos which would fold under certain conditions.

No System is perfect, but the Foil kites are not as bad as PMU or the others are saying. I think they should try some of the newer models and then rewrite their theories.

I would tend to agree that some LEIs have the edge in higher winds, but I have also seen that the modern foils can handle the conditions just as well and are not as unstable as most of the LEI faktion here are saying.

kitevan
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kremasti, Faliraki, Prasonisi, Fanes
Favorite Beaches: Kremasti
Style: Old School
Gear: Best Waroo 7, 9, 11 & Flysurfer speed3 15m2

Postby kitevan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:10 pm

I had a great time with my new FS Speed 3 15m2 yesterday in 10-12 knots, only using it for the second time. I am looking forward for more wind for my LEIs but I have no withdrawal syndrom symptoms thanks to my FS!! :D

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:11 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:From the months and months of noise about foils that has been presented in ten different threads here it's pretty clear that the foil market is strongest in the "old guy/big guy, lightwind, mowing the lawn" category. That is obviously making the majority of Flysurfers sales these days. I learned on foils and rode several types of them for some time.
......But at this point, my biggest kite is a 12M Wainman Boss and I am very glad I don't have to use a giant foil to mow the lawn. There is no way in hell any current foil/cell is gonna feel as fun as the tube kite I'm flying now. But I am glad that the old guys do have something to fly when it's ten mph and I'm riding my bike! :thumb:
i've never flown a 12 m Wainman Boss or even seen one so i don't know anything about it. But you are welcome to try my 12m peter Lynn Charger anytime. I guarantee it will put a smile on your face and the kite will do anything you desire.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:44 pm

Arcsrule wrote:i've never flown a 12M Wainman Boss or even seen one so i don't know anything about it. But you are welcome to try my 12m peter Lynn Charger anytime. I guarantee it will put a smile on your face and the kite will do anything you desire.
Had Peter Lynn kites, not really a kite I wanna fly anymore.
They are nice kites but they are not gonna touch a Wainman kite, or any of the best LEI kites now.

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:58 pm

guess u stayed in the past then :)
peeps still talking about old doils/arcs when comparing to their modern/recent kites...

i should do the same, talking about foil/arcs and comparing them to som 2005/2006 LEI.
after all, 2005-2010 LEI are the same no? :lol:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Peter Lynn, Flysurfer, HQ, etc, etc..... even in their latest greatest versions, just don't fly and turn with the speed and agility of the best LEI kites today.
If you wanna surf with the best of them, you are on an LEI.
If you're gonna compete at top level freestyle, you will be on an LEI.
If you wanna go to San Francisco Bay and be competitive at the race series, you are on an LEI.
If you wanna break the world speed record, you are on an LEI.
If you wanna ride in the very lightest of winds, ....get a giant Flysurfer.
Peter Lynn kites are great if you gotta have a kite that stays at zenith if you drop your bar.
This is not my opinion, it is a simple observation by looking around at the real world. :allbegood:
Last edited by L0KI on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Arcsrule wrote:
Oldnbroken wrote:From the months and months of noise about foils that has been presented in ten different threads here it's pretty clear that the foil market is strongest in the "old guy/big guy, lightwind, mowing the lawn" category. That is obviously making the majority of Flysurfers sales these days. I learned on foils and rode several types of them for some time.
......But at this point, my biggest kite is a 12M Wainman Boss and I am very glad I don't have to use a giant foil to mow the lawn. There is no way in hell any current foil/cell is gonna feel as fun as the tube kite I'm flying now. But I am glad that the old guys do have something to fly when it's ten mph and I'm riding my bike! :thumb:
i've never flown a 12 m Wainman Boss or even seen one so i don't know anything about it. But you are welcome to try my 12m peter Lynn Charger anytime. I guarantee it will put a smile on your face and the kite will do anything you desire.
I second what is said about the Boss. It is my light wind kite and I really don't like flying it when it gets above 18kts. This thing is a truck. As far as the Foil vs LEI goes they both have there advantages and if you can fly one you can fly the other. Most people will play cheerleader for what ever kite or brand they fly. Others are just obsessed with this topic i.e. PMU.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:30 pm

TheJoe wrote:I second what is said about the Boss. It is my light wind kite and I really don't like flying it when it gets above 18kts.
I took the Boss out in 30mph!...I'm shocked at the amount of wind I can take it into, but the low end is also just amazing for a 12m kite.

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Yeah I'm not hating on the rider (although that guy in the white hat looks like Pierre the Nightmare from Kite Beach, was it?)
I had the same thought.
But no, if this guy was in Hawai and Cabarete he should have been able to pass the break.

Return to “Kitesurfing”