*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: i pledge my assistance to the BKSA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:33 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:14 pm
Posts: 135
Neil, thanks for the clarification, I failed to provide the details of what the BKSA became by becoming limited.
There are very few full time paid people within the BKSA, probably one or two. How it works "and it works pretty well" is there is a structure of people with relelvent experience that work mostly within the training department and a chairman, starting with head of training, then I think 4 examiners and approx 8 or so national trainers, the first two are obvious and national trainers are dotted around the country and help with setting up clubs, advise schools, help with threats of beach closures and carry out school inspections amongst other things. Most of the people have "proper jobs" and do get paid when on BKSA business including mileage. There is also a few people who are race crew who attend and help run the BKSA events and usually marshalls etc who again get paid for their time.
What does stand out is that most of these people do lots more than is obvious and more than they get paid for, they do it for the love of the sport and to help grow the events and BKSA crew structure. If you put enough in you will get a lot out.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: i pledge my assistance to the BKSA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:48 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:44 am
Posts: 268
Why do you need Bthing or IKO?
Shouldn`t you improve your portfolio and marketing over your point?

I wonder you guys might answer:

Were you a newbie crazy on getting in kitesurf, would you refrain of taking classes because this or that kitepoint is not under IKO?

I started to learn in Prea - Ceará - Brazil under IKO. It was a nice school because of its owners. Under IKO guidance they set 12h class under R$1200 only to have 1/3 of classes bodydraging to recover boards. So is it fair to set people to practice something for 4h even if they are performing well because a given section is to learned by IKO manual?

It was somehow useful and I had fun, but nowadays I`d say and recommend anyone starting to go independent instead.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: i pledge my assistance to the BKSA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:52 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:22 am
Posts: 160
danie178 wrote:
always did wonder about the IKO, only thing they have going for them is possible work opps over seas.


the BKSA training qualification as of next year will be recognized australia wide, asia wide and all of britan. there are talks going on with canadian and south african clubs as well.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: i pledge my assistance to the BKSA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:03 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Posts: 1538
Location: Southwestern Ontario
kiwimike wrote:
danie178 wrote:
always did wonder about the IKO, only thing they have going for them is possible work opps over seas.


the BKSA training qualification as of next year will be recognized australia wide, asia wide and all of britan. there are talks going on with canadian and south african clubs as well.


Which Canadian clubs are you refering to?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: i pledge my assistance to the BKSA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:58 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:22 am
Posts: 160
contact andy gatwick from the BKSA to see who he is talking too in canada.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: i pledge my assistance to the BKSA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:50 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:23 am
Posts: 26
gazxtreme wrote:
Why do you need Bthing or IKO?
Shouldn`t you improve your portfolio and marketing over your point?

I wonder you guys might answer:

Were you a newbie crazy on getting in kitesurf, would you refrain of taking classes because this or that kitepoint is not under IKO?

I started to learn in Prea - Ceará - Brazil under IKO. It was a nice school because of its owners. Under IKO guidance they set 12h class under R$1200 only to have 1/3 of classes bodydraging to recover boards. So is it fair to set people to practice something for 4h even if they are performing well because a given section is to learned by IKO manual?

It was somehow useful and I had fun, but nowadays I`d say and recommend anyone starting to go independent instead.


The IKO, BKSA, and the FFVL attempt to set a standard, a structure, and a method of educating people so that they recieve all of the knowledge and tools to become a safe and competent kiter. Some schools choose to implement the course in different ways, and some for sure do NOT do a good job. This however is not the fault of the organisation, but of the schools. If there were NO organisations/associations etc to set the standard way to teach, i can almost guarantee there would be A LOT more accidents, beaches closed, insurance claims etc.

Ok, so you might have the right intentions, and even you might not be recognised as a qualified instructor but be able to teach in the right way, but if that were the case how many other people do you think would teach in the wrong way? I bet there would be a lot. I know Mike and i know he runs his school because he loves the sport, and he tries to make it good for everyone involved. The way the IKO have conducted themselves in this has obviously been a 'knee jerk' reaction, and time will tell if they work it out.

But honestly, to think that it can be GOOD to have NO standard to deviate from is clearly a misinformed utopian idea that will never happen in the real world.
Its like saying ok, anybody can drive a car, jo blogs taught himself so thats good enough for me. Can you imagine driving in this world???
My 2c..... Tim


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: i pledge my assistance to the BKSA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:57 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:14 pm
Posts: 135
Woooh, that's not my post you've quoted, I am totally against self teaching. The post you have qutoed belongs to (AlexandreBorges).


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: i pledge my assistance to the BKSA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:02 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:23 am
Posts: 26
gazxtreme wrote:
Woooh, that's not my post you've quoted, I am totally against self teaching. The post you have qutoed belongs to (AlexandreBorges).

Sorry dude the HTML must have got messed up... i didnt check it :) My apologies.
Tim


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: i pledge my assistance to the BKSA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:06 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:09 pm
Posts: 622
kiwimike wrote:
contact andy gatwick from the BKSA to see who he is talking too in canada.


I think that's a HUGE problem with all these "organizations"- everything is done behind the scenes with people who may, or may not, have anything to do with anything.
THAT is how IKA was built, and how all these brand new "national associations" are popping up everywhere.
Its deceptive marketing for control of the sport, and if you have a problem with it, ISAF and IKA will sue you- guaranteed. Right Toby?

BKSA- what does AKSA think about all this, and what do your members think of RG and his affiliation with IKA?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: i pledge my assistance to the BKSA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:20 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 272
Location: Southampton UK
KiteboardingTampaBay wrote:
and how all these brand new "national associations" are popping up everywhere.

The BKSA isn't brand new, don't go lumping it in with whatever other ones you've only just heard of. The BKSA has done an awful lot of good for the sport in the uk, and although obviously everyone makes mistakes I think that the good the organisation has done definitely outweighs the bad. I know a few of the spots in the UK wouldn't have access without them

KiteboardingTampaBay wrote:
what do your members think of RG and his affiliation with IKA?

Hmmmm yes, this is another story :angryfire: hopefully Richard can do both jobs effectively without letting one take control of the other.....looking unlikely what with the BKSA already being made affiliated with the IKA


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], fogmeister, Hessel, stylesy, Yahoo [Bot] and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group