Favorite Beaches: Thailand
Style: beginner
Gear: don't have any
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurf Thailand in begining of February

Postby maneshba » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:24 am

Hi, I would like to spend 1 week of kitesurf holiday in Thailand at the beginning of February. I have been reading from various websites that Hua Hin, Pranburi,Koh Samui, Chumpon Nai Yang and Chalong (Phuket) are good kitesurf destinations but I don't know how reliable the statements are, everybody always says that there's good wind but from my experience, I've been already 3 times to Phuket in search of wind and always been unlucky. Any experience with Hua Hin Pranburi and Koh Samui?

Re: Kitesurf Thailand in begining of February

Postby Ville » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:06 am

Hi!
I had a good experience from Hua Hin 3 years ago in February! I was there for 2 weeks and the wind was constantly on from 16-22 knots.
The wind was then NE, but what the locals told then, was that from February on the wind should shift to SE whilst becoming more stable and strong. Then I would prefer the NE coast of Thailand, Hua Hin, Pranburi etc.
There are many who claim, that Thailand is not a destination for wind related sports, but personally I will be getting back there one day with my gear!

Good luck with the winds!

luke-warmwater
Medium Poster

Postby luke-warmwater » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:32 am

You are right to be wary of some of the statements about the winds in Thailand as it is not really a high wind destination. I too, have found that some of the websites for Thai kite spots are somewhat overly 'optimistic' about the wind strengths, presumably to attract business. As a kite-tourist choosing where to spend my hard-earned cash and my limited free time, I find this very frustrating, (although this problem of exaggerating wind statistics happens in other places too).

In my experience, February is a bit early for Hua Hin and a bit late for Chumphon as this is the time when the winds change direction which messes things up for a few weeks. When the wind does blow in Hua Hin, its never really that strong and you generally need a big kite, circa 14m. Be careful not to base your travel plans on reports about last year as this was unusually good, probably caused by the 'el Nino' effect. This year is the opposite, its a 'La Nina' year which has caused a huge drop in the winds around Asia. Thailand, Vietnam and Boracay have all had a terrible start to the season. Chumphon is always a gamble as it gets hit-and-miss wind anyway, but this year people have been sitting around for periods of 3 weeks without any wind followed by just a few days on the water before it disappeared again.
If I was going to Thailand in February, I'd also consider Laem Son (near Ranong) which is reported to have much stronger winds than anywhere else in Thailand due to a funneling effect. I havnt personally been to Laem Son but reports from those who have, say the winds can be much stronger, as in 20-28kn. Not much there though other than a couple of bungalow resorts, but it is in a National Park so should be nice.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:33 pm

Is Laem Son save? I heard it is a very Islamic area and not that safe...

http://locations.splocs.com/kitesurf/lo ... _Park.html

luke-warmwater
Medium Poster

Postby luke-warmwater » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:19 pm

Thats a good point Toby, but I'd be surprised if Laem Son is considered unsafe. I thought the Islamic areas are mostly located in far South around Pattani and Yaha and I dont think the troubles have ever spread any further North than some sparodic activity in Hat Yai but I dont know that for certain. Of course, a couple or years ago some bombings also occured in other parts of Thailand (Bangkok) as part of this Southern area dispute (not to be confused with the red shirt/yellow shirt protests/airport closures etc which is a different dispute altogether). Perhaps someone with more local knowledge can give a more accurate view, but Laem Son is 100 miles North of Phuket so its a good 225 miles North of the Southern troubled areas.

buzzz
Medium Poster

Postby buzzz » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:42 pm

I kited there and stayed in some bungalows in the national park a few years back with a mate ... only there for a couple of days and winds were marginal unfortunately - we'd heard about the funnel effect too ... had only one sessh at one location - heaps of potential there though ... totally safe - yes a few muuso's around, but no probs as they are very much a minority there.

I agree totally with luke's initial post ...
Samui Orchid was going off last year - our best season ever maybe.
But this year La Nina has got the wind by the balls and don't look like letting go yet ... i heard it could be over Feb...

I'm interested in this Pak Meng beach down near Trang - but probably been affected by La nina like everywhere else - maybe next year...

kiwimike
Medium Poster
Local Beach: pattaya
Favorite Beaches: surfersparadise
Style: all
Gear: cabrinha

Postby kiwimike » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:50 am

thailand is a light wind destination. i have a kiteschool in pattaya and winds rarely get over 15knotts in the windy winter season. dec through may. it is a great place to learn and from my experience the safest teaching conditions are between 8 and 12 knotts. i have never had an accident in any of my lessons and i have taught thousands of students. during this windy season i teach most days. alot of kiters rubbish thailand because they dont get out on 8m kites very often but for a beginner learner rider it is ideal.

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Ishøj, Denmark
Hvide Sande, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Fusion 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR6 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M

Postby Kirok » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:32 pm

I am going on a two week family vacation to Koh Samui in February 13th-26th. I have been to Koh Samui two years ago and made the big mistake of not hitting the water the day we arrived as that was the last time I saw any wind. I will probably bring my Mako wide and my Core GT 12M. This combo is good down to 12 knots. Anything below that is no fun anyway.

If there is no wind there is no wind.

jan_hou
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Penghu, Taiwan
Favorite Beaches: Penghu, Taiwan

Postby jan_hou » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:08 am

Travel to Taiwan, not Thailand, for kiteboarding trip.
It is always windy in February.

Check out this wind forecast in Penghu, Taiwan

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?id ... =1&sc=4873

It is colder than Thailand, but it is windy.

loeuftok
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loeuftok » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:33 am

You are right about taiwan being windier than thailand, but at least when there is no wind life in thailand is much better than in taiwan...

I know, since I lived 2 years in taiwan and 15 in thailand...
Anyway, it is a very strange season, we did not get any wind yet...

Return to “Kitesurfing”