lbatbeach
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Bladders

Postby lbatbeach » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:59 pm

From Dan at North....
As far as the bladders delaming... This was an issue for some people in hot areas in '09 (we didn't run into a whole lot in mainland USA), but we have a different source for bladders and completely different valves for 2011 so we hope to see these issues disappear. I'd like to guarantee they'll last forever, but only time will tell. If it helps, I haven't heard of any delams at this point, but it's only been 6 months.
Dan, that is great news! Down in PR, many of us have had chronic valve delams for years. Generally our experience has been that the valves do not delam until after the first season. Therefore they have never presented a warranty issue for North. I personally know guys that have moved from North to other brands due to North's apparent unwillingness to address or at times even acknowledge the issue. So this is big news for us!

Was the change in bladders more of a supplier issue or was it an attempt to address the problem? Have the adhesives been changed? Are the bladders lighter?

I found it curious that a North valve could be removed simply by putting the valve in very hot water, where as the replacement Airtime valves wont come off no matter what you do.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Re: North Bladders

Postby Puetz » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:05 am

... sorry Dan, we've had the valve delam problem for years, not just '09! From my first north kite in '05 til now or 2010 to be exact. This time last year we had already had our first problem after only 1 month old with the 2010 kites!! Just thinking about it, all those bladders and all those valves I had to repair, I spent a lot of un-necessary money and time, and no compensation. I lost sessions, I lost my patience and whinging about it now, people are loosing interested. And it wasn't just me, we had a bunch of people in the same boat.

But on a bright note, so far so good on the 2011 Rebel!!! Time will tell!!! :o I have a good feeling about this years experiment!

cheers for now,

Robbie :thumb:

Ivel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: mostly strapless surfboard
Gear: not panzy bow kites

Postby Ivel » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:36 am

Given time and heat very bladder from every company will delam, not just north

lbatbeach
Medium Poster

Postby lbatbeach » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:01 pm

That is probably true, but it seems that some brands will certainly delam faster than others. It should not be unreasonable to think we should get more than one season from a kite bladder before it fails. I have had several kites with Airtime replacement bladders with their stick on valves that I sold to a friend 2 years ago that are still going strong. Clearly not all bladder/valve systems were created equal. Glad to see that North is taking action on this one.

lbatbeach
Medium Poster

Postby lbatbeach » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:00 pm

Any updates from the 2011 kites?

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:48 am

Ok, keep my kites in my car.

North Delaminated
Liquid force Delaminated....
Cabrinha No problem.....

Come on guys it's a hot weather sport...design it to 60C.... (black car in the sun on a hot day)
We take our kites to work and go kiting after work.....don't just hope based on suppliers, set a specification to meet your customers expectations. Test each bladder at 60 C before it leaves the factory if you have to. .

I'm CERTAIN there are adhesives capable of handling this. Airtime will come up with a solution when you have to replace a worn valve and are forced to cut it out of the bladder.

This is WAY better than a valve that delaminates. but can be removed with warm water.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

One of the reasons I hate one-pump

Postby tmcfarla » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:41 am

Delaminating valves are one of the many reasons I hate one-pump systems- more valves to deal with. I've had the same problem with older flexifoils (they did spend a while in the trunk of my car).

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:49 am

Three strut kites, no one pump and no North. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”