Relaunching a 16m kite on 30m lines in marginal winds:
[youtube]http://vimeo.com/18468195[/youtube]

SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Polish Kite Race Team in Dahab

Postby SBBeachbum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:36 am

Wow ...... Great. This must be the most exciting sailing video in a long time. :baby:

I just hope that when the Russian sailing team posts their video they add some footage of vodka parties with hot babes

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:46 am

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/18468195[/vimeo]

Thanks for the video Bracuru - I found it interesting. :thumb:

The relaunch still looks like it is a bit difficult.
I can see that by putting the bar against the footstraps, you get bite from the fins to pull against when you pull the rear lines.
You seem to have a grip higher up one rear line than the other to make one of the tips rise.
Once you get pull from the kite the whole thing has the potential to get messy as the board tries to turn over and stab you with the sharp fins.
You then have to grab the board with one hand while relaunching the kite with the other.

Did you depower the kite with the depower strap deliberately before the relaunch to help it relaunch?

Maybe this is the best way, but I'm hoping someone comes up with a better one.

The board is the big problem as you cant use it like a twintip to help you relaunch.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Can only agree - and really nice to see those underwater flow shots close to land, and for newer kitesurfers/raceboarders to see examples of how tacking and high speed jibing can be done (there are other ways too, but it shows one of the often used methods).

Really interesting and beatiful video, compared to the :baby: Yaaaaawn videos of dangling tt riders.

Especially because it is something different, and not the same dangle all over again and again :naughty:

Only thing I was missing, BraCuru, was jumping ?

You got the very best boards for jumping high in light wind - and had cams so it would look great :thumb:

I know it is not the purpose if you are racing, but still an awesome option you get with these boards 8)

The intro of the first vid was cool - as it took a while before I could see what it actually was (untill the board got flipped around - and the same at the end...)

:D Peter

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:30 am

ronnie wrote:The relaunch still looks like it is a bit difficult.
No doubts. It does not work at every time you pump a kite by steering lines. The timing is important. During such marginal winds essential is to feel extra 1 knot of wind passing over your head and waiting few seconds more as this “squall” reaches a kite (usually lines are more 30m long).
I can see that by putting the bar against the footstraps, you get bite from the fins to pull against when you pull the rear lines.

It might happen. Therefore the guys using knife sharp fins should take it into consideration. Fortunately Cabrinha’s original fins have rounded edges and never had a cut or a bruise made by it.
You seem to have a grip higher up one rear line than the other to make one of the tips rise.

That’s correct. It gives instant impulse to spin a kite.
Did you depower the kite with the depower strap deliberately before the relaunch to help it relaunch?

Affirmative. It helps me a bit during this trick. How much very difficult to say. I just feel more confident and believe the trick will work well once depower strap is applied.
Maybe this is the best way, but I'm hoping someone comes up with a better one.
No doubts! Watching my video I have realized that in the situation, when the kite was sitting on the tip, pumping the front lines by right hand and pumping left steering line would lift the kite faster out of the water.

Few words about technique applied and using a board as support.
I note that the best results I have managed using following:
i) wind below 10 knots – a board is used as a platform for a bar. A board directed across the lines resists in the water creating extra wind force on a kite. Keeping front foot in the strap or both feet in the straps would work even better but there is one problem: in such position I cannot see the kite (obstructed by a wide board) and I am not able to react in the exact moment.
ii) wind 10-13 knots – I use the same trick but with front foot in the strap. No problem with a lack of vision control. The trick works almost every time. Giving strong pump lifts a kite 3-5 meters above water and it is dead simple.
iii) wind above 13 knots – standard relaunching by pulling one steering line. A board floats next to me.

I wonder how Zeeko Notus 14m with ERA system would relaunch in similar conditions :idea: . Anyone got experience?

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BraCuru » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:40 am

Peter_Frank wrote:Only thing I was missing, BraCuru, was jumping ?
Kill me – I do not know why we did not jump :cry: Obviously we are focused on the pure racing but for video purposes showing free-race it had to be the must :idea:
I can imagine pictures with us flying over the tip of the peninsula in wind of 10 knots. Shame on us :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks for your warm words about the video. I know it might be boring for some group of riders and I respect it - therefore in the first post was noted I hope some of you would enjoy it.

Zeeko
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier, France
Style: all styles
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Zeeko » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi,

interesting to see some comments about the ERA system.
I made some racing contest this year and last year. Finish 6th of the european championship in 2009 in Douarnenez.
I ride a lot with foil board and the 14m Notus ERA. With this stuff I'm able to ride with lull at 6Knots without any trouble.
As you wrote, the problem is the relaunching with these marginal winds.
I develop the ERA because I ride with foils, and because I ride in very light winds, I was not able to relaunch easily a big kite without it.
It is simple, it is not like on the video you did. With era: let go the bar, and grab the ERA Handle. Nothing to do more than this. When the kite is in the air, let go the handle and grab the bar. Very simple.
During contest last year, I won one race because we had a lull, all the kites were in the water, I was the only one able to relaunch the kite.
With the ERA, the limit is simple: you can relaunch the kite if the kite can stay in the air, around 6knots at the level of the kite.
With the ERA, I'm not scary about falling the kite in the water.

Ride easy,

Nicolas

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BraCuru » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:29 pm

Zeeko wrote:With the ERA, I'm not scary about falling the kite in the water.
I was wondering if ERA works in very marginal winds. Now I know - thanks Nicholas :thumb:
I had short experience with this great system but in winds above 10knots.

Why other companies do not introduce the same safe system? :idea:
I am going to fit the ERA line to my 16m Crossbow and do some tests. I guess it should work on any bow kite, correct?

Cheerio :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”