All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Renegade "Infinity" light wind machine
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The unfortunate reality is that current large inflatables (eg Zephyr, Infinity) can't compete with ram airs in the very lightest winds. Large ram airs get going in 7-8 knots whereas the Zephyr, Infinity etc start being useable in about 8-10 knots.

Until inflatable manufacturers start making 20m+ kites again, ram airs are always going to have a 1-2 knot low-end advantage.

Don't get me wrong though. Large inflatables are still SUPERIOR to ram airs in light winds for a variety of reasons, including stability in gusts and rotors, safety in wind dropouts, and ease of use.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

That is true about Ram air kites, but I have a kiter that has a 17m (can't say the name) and he tested his kite head to head with the INFINITY few weaks ago and was very impressed on how much power the INFINITY had compare to the 17m (can't say the name) and how fast it was.
The only problem he told me was that his wife just got him this kite for Christmas.

Last edited by Dimitri M on Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:52 am 
Medium Poster

The infinity may or may not be able to go as low as the ram airs like PMU says, but I would give up that 1-2 knots in exchange for the speed, simplicity of the bridle on the inflatable infinity as compared to the spiders nest on the ram airs.. Not to mention, the ram airs are too expensive both in purchase and repairs.
:thumb:

Last edited by shawntkeating on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:04 am 
Rare Poster

shawntkeating wrote:
The infinity may or may not be able to go as low as the ram airs like PMU says, but I would give up that 1-2 knots in exchange for the speed, simplicity of the bridle on the inflatable infinity as compared to the spiders nest on the ram airs.. Not to mention, the ram airs are too expensive both in purchase and repairs.
:thumb:
]

Did you really have to open this can of worm? really? :evil:

Last edited by danny31292 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:05 am 
Rare Poster

kookfest wrote:
A friend has just measured the "infinity" with a tape and calculated the surface area. It is about 20.5m2.

thank you. I agree that infinity is a good name and that it is probably best to not post the size on the kite but customers should have the option to know the size of their kite.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:21 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Sorry "danny31292",
Sometimes my honesty can get me in trouble. I did close the can of worm and edit my post.
I was just telling the truth sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:42 am 
Frequent Poster

Ok here is my 2 cents take it as you will..

I and another person had the Infinity out today. Both of us have been kiteing for 10years +.

Alittle bit about the conditions. Winds on the inside of the bay 6-12knots on the out side 20-30knots. Snow 10"-20" of fresh powder.

I was on a 2011 Screamer 10LE and had to work the hell out of it to get to the outside of the bay. My buddy was on the Infinity and went right out with no working atall. He out weighs me by 20 pounds and both of us are over the 210 mark. It takes alot of power to go in 10"+ of snow.

My Buddy has flown a Ozone 17 before do to another friend has one that is 250+ mark. and when it is light here in Ontario it is light. He said it fells that it has as much power as the Ozone if not alittle more but flys faster and turns better.

There was another guy there that had a 19 speed3 Flysurfer and the Infinity had no problem keeping with him in the inside.. Both of them were maxed out on the outside. It wasn't fun on the outside as my buddy said, it was staying alive mode.

Yes I am alittle bias as I work for Epic but my buddy does not and he is the type of guy that says how it is. If it is crap it is crap but he didn't say this about the Infinity. He said that it was a solid kite and that he can not wait to try it out on the water this spring.

Dimitri will not even tell me what size it is , he just told me to try it because he made if for big guys like me. LOL The bottom line is that if you are looking for a light wind kite I think you should consider the Infinity from Epic or even just try it to see for yourself

Ok yes it is the purple one , it is a proto type . The production ones will only be in the BLUE

Terrie

Attachments:
jimtesting infinity3.jpg
jimtesting infinity3.jpg [ 215.99 KIB | Viewed 772 times ]
jim testing infinity2.jpg
jim testing infinity2.jpg [ 243.07 KIB | Viewed 772 times ]
jim testing infinity.jpg
jim testing infinity.jpg [ 262.21 KIB | Viewed 772 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Dimitri M wrote:
That is true about Ram air kites, but I have a kiter that has a 17m (can't say the name) and he tested his kite head to head with the INFINITY few weaks ago and was very impressed on how much power the INFINITY had compare to the 17m (can't say the name) and how fast it was.
The only problem he told me was that his wife just got him this kite for Christmas.

No problem. If he gives me a good deal on that "17m" I take it off his hands.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:51 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Pump me up wrote:
The unfortunate reality is that current large inflatables (eg Zephyr, Infinity) can't compete with ram airs in the very lightest winds. Large ram airs get going in 7-8 knots whereas the Zephyr, Infinity etc start being useable in about 8-10 knots.

Until inflatable manufacturers start making 20m+ kites again, ram airs are always going to have a 1-2 knot low-end advantage.

Don't get me wrong though. Large inflatables are still SUPERIOR to ram airs in light winds for a variety of reasons, including stability in gusts and rotors, safety in wind dropouts, and ease of use.

what .... just.... happened.!?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:52 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Tone wrote:
Pump me up wrote:

what .... just.... happened.!?

Nothing. Ram airs are inferior to inflatables in every respect. Some of the classic old 20m inflatables like the Rhino 2/6 and Waroo have the same low-end as the biggest ram airs but are MUCH safer, easier to use, and aerodynamically superior.

[ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 31  Next