Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

utah snowkiting 2/14-2/21

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: utah snowkiting 2/14-2/21

Postby Billy B. » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:23 pm

sosumi wrote:I really don't understand how $20 is a lot of money to ride in a spot that has ski patrol. For lesson purposes the spot is really good IMO. Not to mention the snowkite pass allows you to ride the lifts on that part of the mountain (hidden lake express), so I actually get in a bunch of nice powder ski runs before and after my kite session, on the $20 pass. Seems like a pretty damn good deal to me. And if the wind direction is right, you can launch right in the parking lot and land there too.
That sounds great if you are visiting, How bout if you live heare and like my self and several other locals wanted to ride each day. Thats 20 bones a day for 7 Days 140 a week. The season starts in Nov and goes in till end of april. So thats 20 weeks, If you were lucky enough to ride each day you would be forking out $2800 to ride there. There is no season pass, so you are shit out of luck on a deal.

Maybe I should change my tune to Pow mtn, Is a great place to kite if you are a tourist visiting Ut and don't want to experance real western US style kiting but instead want to stay in a little pay to play spot.

Just wondering sosumi what other kite spots did you go to while here? Or did you only kite powder mtn, and if so why would other local kiter choose to not recommend it on a public forum?

I am sure the instuctors are great an all, but the spot is not.

If you want true big wide open western US style kiting go to strawbs or skyline.

Pow mtn is a great bunny hill but what do you do after riding the bunny hill for an hour? Most people want to go up on the big hill....

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:02 am

I agree with Billy. PowMow is a Bunny Hill compared to Skyline and especially compared to Strawberry. Strawberry is truly endless with so many miles to explore. However, if you are in town and want to have the convenience of a ski resort and don't mind paying 20 bills and packing up by 4 PM, it is okay.

As far as wind goes, Skyline is the most reliable on any direction of wind. Strawberry is best on a north or NW wind, but gives up rides on West, SW, and East wind. PowMow is good on a west or SW wind, lousy on a north or NW wind.

sosumi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: tybee island
Favorite Beaches: islamorada, tybee island, st simons
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sosumi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:45 am

Billy B. wrote: That sounds great if you are visiting, How bout if you live heare and like my self and several other locals wanted to ride each day. Thats 20 bones a day for 7 Days 140 a week.
You realize you're posting in a thread titled "utah snowkiting 2/14-2/21" where someone is asking about a good spot to ride in if you're VISITING and to take lessons. What does your $2800 have to do with the topic at hand?
Billy B. wrote: Is a great place to kite if you are a tourist visiting Ut and don't want to experance real western US style kiting but instead want to stay in a little pay to play spot.
You're such a hardass. We should all take an example from you on how to be a real "western kiter". Do you have a business card?
Billy B. wrote: If you want true big wide open western US style kiting go to strawbs or skyline.
From the videos of strawberry it doesn't look like there's too much slope there. Half the reason I wanted to snowkite is so I can boost big using the hill for massive tension. Powder has some sections that fit the bill.

Not wide open enough for you? Are you serious? Myself and tons of other people kite on water in savannah and charleston in butter ponds and flats that are maybe 200 feet by 700 feet... and that's plenty big enough if you can ride well enough to control your direction and speed! What happens when the wind dies out when you're miles away from your launch spot? Enjoy your hike... while I ski down to the bottom and take a chairlift to my car. My friend was just out there a few days ago and got stuck pretty far from his launch site when the wind died and spent 3 hours sitting on his ass waiting for the wind. No thank you

I'm not saying strawberry isn't a good spot for YOU to ride, but your rationale for crapping on powder mountain for a beginner visiting for a week and probably going to take lessons... doesn't make any sense to me.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.

All of it
North and Race boards

Postby Billy B. » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:12 am

You realize you're posting in a thread titled "utah snowkiting 2/14-2/21" where someone is asking about a good spot to ride in if you're VISITING and to take lessons. What does your $2800 have to do with the topic at hand?

Wow so Wrong for a local to post about his local areas even to take the time and share his local thoughts on a forum...What are forums for again????

You're such a hardass. We should all take an example from you on how to be a real "western kiter". Do you have a business card?

YUP sure do..

http://www.flyozone.com/snowkites/en/te ... lly-bordy/

Billy B. wrote: If you want true big wide open western US style kiting go to strawbs or skyline.
From the videos of strawberry it doesn't look like there's too much slope there. Half the reason I wanted to snowkite is so I can boost big using the hill for massive tension. Powder has some sections that fit the bill.

Not wide open enough for you? Are you serious? Myself and tons of other people kite on water in savannah and charleston in butter ponds and flats that are maybe 200 feet by 700 feet... and that's plenty big enough if you can ride well enough to control your direction and speed! What happens when the wind dies out when you're miles away from your launch spot? Enjoy your hike... while I ski down to the bottom and take a chairlift to my car. My friend was just out there a few days ago and got stuck pretty far from his launch site when the wind died and spent 3 hours sitting on his ass waiting for the wind. No thank you

I'm not saying strawberry isn't a good spot for YOU to ride, but your rationale for crapping on powder mountain for a beginner visiting for a week and probably going to take lessons... doesn't make any sense to me.
[/quote]

Have you seen this video There is a guy talking about "using the hill to build tension" like you say. Some of it is from strawberry and skyline, none off it is from pow mow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3dCQEqlylg

SO you only rode Pow Mtn than since you abviously have no idea about the other "areas" I am so glad you took the time to tell me about what you saw on the video, about a spot twenty minutes from my house??? And goss I am sorry you guys ride tiny little spots some days we cover over a hundred miles at strawberry, but I am sure you knw that from the videos you have watched?

You entire response makes very little sence to me?

Come to UT go snowkiting have fun thats the idea... :remybussi:
Last edited by Billy B. on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
DC

All of it
North and Race boards

Postby Billy B. » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Ok sosuimi, So there is your response, I am sure you wanted one.

I am disapointed that you would rather, "bash the hardass" who thinks the one spot you went to in UT is lame and doesn't represent snowkiting in his home area.

A hard ass who gives lesson not takes a lesson, who has been snowkiting all over the area in question, thinks the other reason the little tiny spot is lame, becuase it charges and only has snowkiting there as a option becuase his friends made it so, and now it being run as a money making spot ( that has turned its back on the very people who made it work and was forced to hire some one from out side the area becuase the locals have walked away from the drama greated by a bizness who has no passion for kiting but only a passion for money and wants income and not a friendly kite spot? A hard ass nice enough to share with you why he doesn't like pow mow. Including why it would cost him over 2800 to kite there daily if I wanted. A local sharing his local knowledge and insite about his local spot If the info was about how rad the spot was wouldn't the info be great? How is it not great to also share about a lame area?

But you as a tourist with a "connection" to pow mow after kiting in just that spot ( I truley am sorry know one told you about the really really good spots that every one really rides, perhaps if your instuctor was familuar with the rest of the state and not imported from a beach break in CA they would have told you about the amazing kiting in the rest off the state), that is what I and 2 of my friends have tried to do in this post. For the benifit of anyone reading this thread not just the OP asking a question?

I am glad you had such a great time at pow mow, Obviously coming from tiny little "butter ponds" as a begginer snowkiter it is a improvment?

What I don;t get is why you would really want to be a dick online to local people sharing there local knowledge on a forum. As a Pro from that area I thought I wa being nice sharing my thoughts about a crappy tiny useless spot that is a made to trap tourist in just that area and suck money out of their pockets for a little taste of snow kiting, Versus going snowkitin out west in the huge grand terrian that we are famous for and proud of.

Hope you can understand where I am coming from ,

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:18 pm

[quote][From the videos of strawberry it doesn't look like there's too much slope there. Half the reason I wanted to snowkite is so I can boost big using the hill for massive tension. Powder has some sections that fit the bill./quote]

Are you serious?

I have seen videos of Maui with flat, calm water. Guess it is no good for wind...

Why don't you try visiting Strawberry before forming your opinions? You only show your ignorance. Next time, you plan a trip, why bother to ask locals, watch YouTube and form your own opinions. What do we know as locals???

Here is some gliding off a "flat" hill at Strawberry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1r_qjqO ... er&list=UL

randomtask111
Rare Poster

Postby randomtask111 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:53 pm

Guys,

I appreciate all your helpful responses and I'll definitely take everything into consideration.

One more question - the best kiteboarding superfly open is going to be held at strawbs on 18-21, overlapping my utah trip. Does it make sense for a newb to be at strawbs or is much of strawbs going to be crowded / closed off for the event?

Thanks

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:53 am

One more question - the best kiteboarding superfly open is going to be held at strawbs on 18-21, overlapping my utah trip. Does it make sense for a newb to be at strawbs or is much of strawbs going to be crowded / closed off for the event?
Strawberry is great for beginners - experts. There is plenty of flat terrain as well as nice gliding hills, etc. Plus, the area is huge. My only advice is to watch the forecast carefully. If the forecast doesn't look good, don't go to the event unless you want to sit around and chat all day.

Strawberry does blow almost every day at some time during the day, but it can be tough to track down. Best bet for wind is a good N, NW clearing wind. Next best is a good westerly wind. Check the daily forecast at www.utahwindriders.org.

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi,

I am coming from Idaho from Thursday, Feb 10 - Sund Feb 14. Familiar with Utah but never kited it. This info is helpful. Thanks. Once I get there it would be nice to "hook up" with some locals to figure out where to go for the day along with some more dialed in info for the day. Can I hook up with any one or is there a better forum to check in on once I get there? I'll be in SLC with an all wheel drive van, which I can drive anywhere and sleep in if need be. Would be nice to check in about the daily weather, where to park, peeps to ride with, etc.

Paul

criznach
Medium Poster

Postby criznach » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:49 am

Oh snap! You didn't really say "bored with snowkiting", did you? Impossible!

Return to “Snow / Land”