Local Beach: Snow- Loveland Pass
Water- Green Mtn Res
Style: Snow
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Looking to start snowkiting

Postby Ozmondo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:20 pm

A little help here would be great. I am intersted in buying a Snowkite but not sure what size kite to buy. Looking for easy flying kite for first attempts but don't want something I will grow out of quickly. I'm 6 feet 5 inches and around 220. Any suggestions would be great. Reside in the central rockies so something good for mountain terrian as well. Thanks for any help.

geopeck
Frequent Poster

Re: Looking to start snowkiting

Postby geopeck » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Take a lesson. Ask your instructor to let you use a low aspect and high aspect kite, so you can figure out the difference. If you are a good skier/rider already then you will have an idea what is right for you within a few hours. The learning curve with snowkiting can be very fast so there is no point in spending money on a kite that isn't going to make you happy after you log 10 hours on it, and it's slow and possibly dangerous to try to learn with a high performance kite on your own.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:29 pm

There is no such thing as a snowkite. Pick one a foil or inflatable need to know average wind speed of the area and elevation after you complete lessons these decisions are easily made. Highe elevation 9-12m for primary 12-16 for secondary you won't need a smaller kite until you have a few years experience. Please don't ask what brand to choose use google and checkout the brands pick one they are all awesome. The bottom line try before u buy take a lesson make your own decisions or allow your instructor pick your first one.

JakeWalker
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Skyline & Strawberry, Utah
Favorite Beaches: Wadell Creek, CA
Gear: Ozone Manta, Ozone Frenzy, Twisted Velocity Kiteboard, UltraNectar
Brand Affiliation: Kite Utah, Wind Over Water Kiteboarding

Postby JakeWalker » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:52 am

I just wanted to reiterate...take a lesson. The cost is completely worth it. If you are exclusively riding on the land (snow, skate, buggy,...) then look into foil kites. Kite size depends as much on the conditions for the area as much as your weight (height doesn't really affect). Wind speed, snow conditions, skis vs board and size of board all come into play. If you can find a school where you plan to ride that is often best because they can dial you into those nuances.

storm_trooper
Rare Poster
Style: beginner
Gear: Ozone Frenzy 9m² / mystic dragonshield harness / ski Head,
IKO certified level3 snowrider

Postby storm_trooper » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:16 am

I was in the same situation as you few weeks ago... but last sunday i pass IKO certified snowkitting level 3. Your instructor will guide you an provide good tips. He'll teach you sign to ask help... if required... we reconnize those sign... we'll help you! As Obiwan says to Luke... learn to use the force... (wind) and have fun.
8)

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:25 pm

Always best to take lessons but if you can't let us know... We have the Best Kites too..
I'll fill you in on the selection and the safest way to do it... smaller first then upgrade. We teach all the time and have customers your weight that have been very successful. Take it slow... Smart. We'll line you up with what works.

Paul
www.PBKiteboarding.com

Return to “Snow / Land”