Forum for kitesurfers
kitester
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best Light Wind Inflatable 2011

Postby kitester » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:57 pm

Has anyone tried the 15m Airush One? I tried the 12 and because its very light it seems to work well. It also turns well and shoots up wind like crazy. It looks a little weird but it has great wind range too. I would like to know if people have some real feed back on the 15.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Geronimo79 wrote:If dimitri says he can ride in 7 till 10 knots with that kite i believe him. Why would he lie? As soon as someone test of equal skill and says something totally different he would loose his reputation. Which is very important to a greek called Dimitri.

That said.. Lowend riding is 90% skills. And lets be honest loads riders simply arent that good that they take full advantage of the possibilitys of a kite.

Many kites will be very good in lowend. If you can fully use the kite well.. and maybe lack a knot or 2 lowend because of that is very well possible.
Also the personal feel with a kite is important.

Sofar what i know and heared of the Renegade Infinity it is fast for its size, and has a good power for its size. Sofar everybody says its faster (which means more fun) and really powerfull at the same time in the lowend. (moves like a truck). So even though some of those testers are Epic affiliated and some not It does give you a good idea its a good kite for lowend. And if your in the market for one you should definitly try it before buying something. Who knows you like it.

Try and you will know.
He's also using a massively wide lightwind board. Makes a huge difference. ]

Rorke
Frequent Poster

Postby Rorke » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:24 pm

There are so many variables.

Definition of "Light wind"
- Perhaps we need multiple terms, like Light vs. Ultra Light. Does any language tackle this?

Weight of rider
- I have 70 lbs on my wife. I don't think we'll ever use the same kite for light wind.

Board
- Twin tip, surf board, race board, SUP, skis, snowboard....

Conditions
- waves, chop, flat, deep snow, little snow on ice, terrain (uphill vs. downhill)

Style of riding
- mowing the lawn, big air, light wind surf, downwinders,

Experience
- As somebody already mentioned, this is very important.

There is no way to find the "Best" for all. Just get something and enjoy it as "best" as you can.

Marc_87
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter and Mirns
Style: Freeride/freestyle/oldskool
Gear: Powered by Flysurfer

Postby Marc_87 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:15 pm

My modified Cabrinha Contra 14m 2007. Ik get me on a skimboard in almost no wind.
I was riding on my normal TT and someone else whit the Core XR lightwind and I had
more power then him. ;)

So I stick whit this kite as long as it stay good. :D Cause I can hold ground whit a Flysurfer
Speed 3 15m whit ease.

eitan80
Frequent Poster

Postby eitan80 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:40 pm

As an aside, I think it's a shame that kite companies no longer make 20m+ inflatables. Some of the old-school inflatables (eg Waroo 20m, Rhino 2/6 20m) were as good as ram airs in light winds but much easier to use and safer.

IMO u r wrong. they r not safer for sure, have much less highend wind range & older safty systems.
they are very slow & have relatively (to thier size) short airtime.
The new 2010-2011 BIGKITES act, fly & glide much better.

BTW- was riding almost all kinds (brands & models) once in a while at those days...

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:32 am

Strange not seeing more entries about "modern" (>2010) light wind inflatables as those from Zeeko, Core, Ozone...

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:14 pm

The 17m Taboo is a monster, it cleared up on it's first two course racing outings. Hell it's so good BCS won the first two course racing heats at Lord Of The Wind on a Profanity wakestyle board wearing boots against seasoned racers on directionals...

But I've still not ridden anything to beat the old 16m Flysurfer Mastair for low end, that was a genuine 6knot kite on a twintip. Wouldn't turn worth a shit though and you were all done by 15 knots, but what low end. Don't think the Silver Arrow has quite that raw grunt, but it has speed and easy handling on its side.

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:20 pm

SQ - I've got one of those in the garage - have to be carried to the water in 12 knts - a real monster of a kite. Speeds are so much nicer

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:17 am

Are you talking about Brian Smith? The Slalom is not the same as course racing. Not saying that it dosn't work great for coarse but the boots with a large rocker wake board combo looks like it works good for slalom.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:33 am

Hello guys,
EPIC KITES will be at the big east coast kite event called "JUPITER KITE INVASION" in Florida USA next week January 27th to the 31st.
This will be a good time to test the RENEGADE "INFINITY" for any one who has doubts about the INFINITY capability to ride in 7 to 10 knots. I just hope the wind doesn't ramp up more then 12 knots so you can have a real test on how good this kite is in very light wind. This is the true test 7 to 10 knots for a 180 lbs rider on a light wind board. The OXYGEN (135x47cm) will be a good example to test the kite with. But again a lot of things you need to consider if you want to have fun in such light wind condition. Such as your weight, the size of the board, and of course your skills. All these play a major part in light wind conditions. That is why we also came up with the OXYGEN board which makes light wind kiting more fun. Yes it is true the OXYGEN is a big board but it's very light and very loose and feels very alive when you are riding it and the pop is incredible.

Hope to see you there "Tone".

Return to “Kitesurfing”