Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Pin Head
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is Vietnam a learning spot?

Postby Pin Head » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:09 am

Might go there for a quick holiday and want ot get some time on the water. Just at water start stage.

Is it a learning spot and should I go to Mui Ne Bay or Trang?

Thanks

Pin

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Is Vietnam a learning spot?

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:10 am

check if Trang has any school?

mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mark van haze » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:50 am

Im in Mui Ne right now. I wouldnt say this is a perfect learning spot but there are enough schools around to take lessons.
If you are looking to just practice water starts, this is not the best choice. The shorebreak is rather big, it gets deep straight away, the water is very choppy and the beach can become very small at high tide. That being said, this applies to Mui Ne and im sure there are more spots around that offer slightly better conditions but you will need to move around by motorbike/bus or taxi.

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Postby ChickenTikka » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:51 pm

I spent new years in Mui Ne (about two weeks total). I'm relatively new to the sport but I can get upwind and jump etc. That said I found the place challenging. Some days the shorebreak is huge and nasty. For me at my early intermediate stage it was great experience.

My girlfriend came with me and basically started from scratch (I'd taught her a little with a trainer kite). She's tough. But she wasn't interested in going out when the shorebreak nor when waves were big. She flies the kite better than me and despite lots of expensive 50$/hour lessons she never got up on the board the whole time she was there.

I took her to Goa a week later in light wind and no waves and voila.... Up on the board. Frankly Mui Ne has too much wind, too many people, and too many waves to learn in an easygoing carefree way. Thailand would be better for that (except the wind usually sucks).

The beach in Mui Ne is tiny and can get crowded (especially the more upwind you go). You will need to get in bed with one of the kiteschools there (who are unfriendly in my opinion) as you will no doubt need help with launches. Everyone is very mercenary there trying to make a buck and generally shitty about helping.

On top of this you have the Russians, who are naturally unfriendly, and generally inconsiderate in the water to contend with. Get good at saying Дай мне проехать!

BUT As you said you were at the stage where you can get up on the board already, I'd say go for it.

Body drag out past the shorebreak (get good at this) about 30 meters and go enjoy yourself.

The worst part about Mui Ne is the service at restaurants.

Saami
Frequent Poster

Postby Saami » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:58 pm

Sadly, I have to agree with Chicken Tikka. Mui Ne is not a good spot for beginners (and I would go as far as saying that Mui Ne is not a good spot, period, for precisely the reasons that Chicken Tikka enumerated - in my opinion, the only things that Mui Ne has got going for it is decent wind and, north of the town, a beautiful coastline).

Since you are describing this as a "quick holiday", do you mean that you are already based in Vietnam? If not, why not consider one of the neighboring countries instead (Thailand, Philippines, China / Hainan, Taiwan, Malaysia)?

Ninja6879
Rare Poster
Local Beach: VungTau,Vietnam
Favorite Beaches: Vungtau,VN
Style: Old school
Gear: Ozone Edge, Rhino, Vegas,

Postby Ninja6879 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:46 am

Saami wrote:Sadly, I have to agree with Chicken Tikka. Mui Ne is not a good spot for beginners (and I would go as far as saying that Mui Ne is not a good spot, period, for precisely the reasons that Chicken Tikka enumerated - in my opinion, the only things that Mui Ne has got going for it is decent wind and, north of the town, a beautiful coastline).

Since you are describing this as a "quick holiday", do you mean that you are already based in Vietnam? If not, why not consider one of the neighboring countries instead (Thailand, Philippines, China / Hainan, Taiwan, Malaysia)?
:nono: Hey guy! Just go south 150km to Vung tau beach. The wind even stronger than Muine. The point is only one school. But if you do not like Russian then too bad, it is a Russian school. Other than that, many aspects which concerned Chicken Tickka do not exist here .Very few kiter ( only me and a friend for the whole beach) so absolutely nobody bother you.. Nightlife in Vung tau is awesome! On Thong nhat moi street is full with seafood restaurants open till 3am. Budget hotels is pretty cheap. It is a sure option if Muine does not suite you. Just remind you guys one thing : Do not leave your board on the water ,install a Go Joe or baby arm float so you dont loose it. Many bad beach boys will take it for ransome!

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate

Postby ChickenTikka » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:42 am

Thanks for the tip, I'll check that place out.

I really like Russians, I majored in Russian at uni and used to live there. My girlfriend is even Russian. But I know they aren't for everybody. They don't make an effort to learn English usually and are quite rude to strangers, two things that makes kiting with them a challenge for Anglo-Saxons.

What's the night life like in vang tau? How long does the season go?

Ninja6879
Rare Poster

Postby Ninja6879 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:20 am

ChickenTikka wrote:Thanks for the tip, I'll check that place out.

I really like Russians, I majored in Russian at uni and used to live there. My girlfriend is even Russian. But I know they aren't for everybody. They don't make an effort to learn English usually and are quite rude to strangers, two things that makes kiting with them a challenge for Anglo-Saxons.

What's the night life like in vang tau? How long does the season go?
Vung Tau city is a Port, beside it is a tourist town pretty famoust in Vietnam. Therefore ,many entertain places at night serving sailors and tourists such as Bars,night clubs,coffee shops, karaoke, body massage for kiters. Wind season just like Muine but blowing much stronger and current run aggressive and choppy wave is high and big. Much more chalenge thou. Any how! unlike boring Muine at night, this is a place for hang out , Pattaya of Vietnam,not Thailand. Come and enjoy!

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate

Postby ChickenTikka » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:19 pm

So leave the girlfriend at home is what you are saying?

I would have been bored (at night) without her mui ne.

Ninja6879
Rare Poster

Postby Ninja6879 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:14 pm

ChickenTikka wrote:So leave the girlfriend at home is what you are saying?

I would have been bored (at night) without her mui ne.
I would not come to Muine without My girlfriend, you are damm right! I used to call her No- wind -kite :x :lol:

Return to “Travel”