Forum for kitesurfers
Chillbay
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Camber
Greatstone
St Mary's Bay
Style: Freeride/Freestyle ish!
Gear: 8 & 12 mtr RPM's

132 Xenon Laluz, cant afford anything else!
Brand Affiliation: I own a PC so I must be affiliated to Microsoft, I wish :-)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best harness to stop lower back pain

Postby Chillbay » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:59 am

Toby wrote:I think the shorts are the ones just like a short with a hook on it..like the Dakine one.
correct me if wrong!
the shorts from dakine puts no pressure over the back and butt, a seat harness protects your back from "hollow cross" (?) which causes lots of pain in my case.
And specially riding old school always fully powered, my back has to take a lot of pressure, but with a seat the pressure goes down to the butt, and above my lower spinals.
Well it may be that in my case the Nitrous shorts are not giving me support is my weak area, that's not the fault of the product they are great but perhaps not in my case. I will build up strength in the area and at the same time look for a harness that gives me the support I need. Great topic which I'm sure has been covered before but I'm sure there's lots of guys and gals out there which have the same problem who want to enjoy this great sport for as long as possible and all the feed-back and advice is greatly appreciated :thumb:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:20 am

Toby wrote:I think the shorts are the ones just like a short with a hook on it..like the Dakine one.
correct me if wrong!
the shorts from dakine puts no pressure over the back and butt, a seat harness protects your back from "hollow cross" (?) which causes lots of pain in my case.
And specially riding old school always fully powered, my back has to take a lot of pressure, but with a seat the pressure goes down to the butt, and above my lower spinals.
The Dakine Nitrous have a seat harness just like yours under the shorts. If you took a scissors and cut the shorts off they would look just like what you are wearing in your pics.
Adjustable leg straps in front and a full seat piece around the rest just like any seat harness I've seen, maybe I'm missing something. Don't know what "hollow cross" is.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dave K » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:44 pm

Another longtime nitrous shorts user here. I always take the webbing strap that runs under the butt (inside the shorts) and shorten it as much as possible. This forces the bar down as low as possible and transfers even more load directly to the legs instead of the back

Even with a fusion harness, if the bar rides high then I get alot of back loading when edging hard with the kite low.

Not crazy about a low bar but no choice for me. It makes learning full board-offs really hard!

FWIW I would not be kiting were it not for "prolotherapy" treatments

http://www.caringmedical.com/

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:09 am

"Prolotherapy" WOW!

"Welding" the bones/muscles/tendons with multiple shots to the affected areas?

Not cortisone, I assume. WHAT-THEN?

Perhaps, a little too good to be true?

Please clarify......................................

Feldenkrais for doods who like needles sounds more like it, if I may take the yang position here.

Tell ya what, they can use my 88 yr old old man as a guinea pig and stick him till he looks porcupine-ish and if he is up for a rousing kite-boogie and babe shag afterwards I'll commit BIG TIME!

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:41 am

There is plenty of info on the web regarding prolotherapy and how it works. Torn/stretched ligaments and tendons don't normally heal quickly like muscle, in part due to reduced blood flow to these areas, especially in older people. The treatment is nothing more than a saline solution injection that acts as an irritent to the injured ligaments/tendons. It essentially tricks the body into healing both ligaments and tendons in the area of the injection. Prolotherapy is not a quick cure (several spreadout treatments are often required). It works better with a healthy immune system and you still need to follow up with a back strenghtening routine. It is not a cure for every back related condition but is ideal for cases of "ligament laxity"

I swear by it but do your own due diligence and decide for yourself
chemosavi wrote:"Prolotherapy" WOW!

"Welding" the bones/muscles/tendons with multiple shots to the affected areas?

Not cortisone, I assume. WHAT-THEN?

Perhaps, a little too good to be true?

Please clarify......................................

Feldenkrais for doods who like needles sounds more like it, if I may take the yang position here.

Tell ya what, they can use my 88 yr old old man as a guinea pig and stick him till he looks porcupine-ish and if he is up for a rousing kite-boogie and babe shag afterwards I'll commit BIG TIME!

Chillbay
Frequent Poster
Greatstone
St Mary's Bay

Postby Chillbay » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:40 pm

Well, I took all your advice, did sit-ups etc, went into the shop and took my time trying out different harness's. I know most of the advice was leading towards a seat harness, but that was what i was already using. The most comfortable waist harness I found was the Mystic Shadow.

Spent 2hrs on the water, it took some getting used too because the spreader bar is higher, felt very strange to start with. After 2hrs on choppy sea normally my back would be shot, but I'm happy to say, I have had no back ache what so ever, so it looks like I have found a harness to suit my needs. It wont suit everyone's needs with a lower back prob I'm sure, but it has mine. Thanks for all the advice guys :thumb:

calibra
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Nova Vaga
Fonte da Telha
Lagoa De Albufeira
Style: Freeride, Freestyle, Wave ride.
Gear: Blade Vertigo 2007 8m
Bangkiteboard Bowmoq 136X43
Surf Board Bluebottlhe 5.10 epoxy with 4 fins 4WFS

Postby calibra » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:36 pm

hi, i had the same problem, and i find the Underwave harness, i love it because have a big support area for your back.

http://www.underwave.info/index.php?opt ... Itemid=104

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:05 pm

Hello "Chillbay",
In order to help your back you need to do 2 things.
Start doing these exercises that "RDM" showed you.
Then get a Seat Harness not a waist harness or a short harness but a SEAT HARNESS. But you need to try them first before you buy them and see how it feels on your back.

I broke my back twice. But I still use a waist harness for the things I do. But what helps me the most is these exercises.
Good luck.

Chillbay
Frequent Poster
Greatstone
St Mary's Bay

Postby Chillbay » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Dimitri M wrote:Hello "Chillbay",
In order to help your back you need to do 2 things.
Start doing these exercises that "RDM" showed you.
Then get a Seat Harness not a waist harness or a short harness but a SEAT HARNESS. But you need to try them first before you buy them and see how it feels on your back.

I broke my back twice. But I still use a waist harness for the things I do. But what helps me the most is these exercises.
Good luck.
Hi Dimitri
I have already got the waist harness and its working fine, i will however carry on with the work outs to make the weak areas stronger :thumb:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:36 pm

Very good. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”