All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Its winter time
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:19 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi builders

First of all happy new year!
Here in Denmark the winter started already in november with temp. below 0 degree celcius both nigth and day and alot of snow. This of course doesn't keep us off the water, but sessions are a little shorter than in the spring /summer time :-) and changing from the wet suit to dry cloth is a little cold :D But the cold weather also means, that my wife can't sent my outside to do garten work, so I have to come up with something else (otherwise she kills me :D ) So a new new board is made. It is a CF/GF lay-up on a PVC core, size 140x42 with a little concave and middle amount of rocker. I planed to do a standard high polished carbon surface. But then when I was about to do the last sanding and polishing, I decieded that carbon look is a little to boring, so I played with some spray cans and this is the result:

I also started a "pimp my board" project. It is based on the first board I made. The board is very nice on the water, but the durability of the rails are to poor. The board have been used for paint trails, the kids used it for snowboarding and I planed just to let it go. But then I decieded to do a "pimp my board - rebuilding" So now the rails have been reinforced, the old paint job is removed, and I have started to do my own carbon fins (I just doing an upgrade on the moulds at the moment to have a better surface. The first mould were plaster moulds, now I change to epoxy moulds) The this is the status so fare:

Kind regards from Denmark
Lars

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Its winter time
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Cool. Did you mold in the fin threads or drill and tap?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:36 am 
Rare Poster

gbleck wrote:
Cool. Did you mold in the fin threads or drill and tap?

I mold the fin thread directly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:47 am 
Frequent Poster

Hi,
what did you use for the 1.st rails, if you say they have a durability problems?

BR,
Zob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:01 pm 
Rare Poster

zob wrote:
Hi,
what did you use for the 1.st rails, if you say they have a durability problems?

BR,
Zob

Hi Zob,
The rails were only wrapped with the top glas fiber lay up, no overlap between the bottom and top layers => weak construction right were the bottom meets the top. The other boards I have made until now are all with a solid rail of either epoxy or PU, which is also how I have made the reinforcement. The benefit of having solid rails beside the strength, is the posibility to change the rail shape pretty easy.

how the rails were made:

BR
Lars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:41 pm 
Frequent Poster

Ouu right. I tought you used a material which turned out to be crap.
I am familiar with this kind of ˝rails˝. :D
I also have two boards with this kind of rail, still waiting to get pimped (already did two). I should probably save them, if I get married some day. :D

BR,
Zob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 am 
Rare Poster

Hey grisen, nice looking stuff!! I especially like the fins. Can you outline exactly how you make them? Detailed instructions would be awesome, from mold making to casting to finish... thanks! would love to make some of those carbons sexy fins

[ 7 posts ]