Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Its winter time

Postby grisen » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:19 pm

Hi builders

First of all happy new year!
Here in Denmark the winter started already in november with temp. below 0 degree celcius both nigth and day and alot of snow. This of course doesn't keep us off the water, but sessions are a little shorter than in the spring /summer time :-) and changing from the wet suit to dry cloth is a little cold :D But the cold weather also means, that my wife can't sent my outside to do garten work, so I have to come up with something else (otherwise she kills me :D ) So a new new board is made. It is a CF/GF lay-up on a PVC core, size 140x42 with a little concave and middle amount of rocker. I planed to do a standard high polished carbon surface. But then when I was about to do the last sanding and polishing, I decieded that carbon look is a little to boring, so I played with some spray cans and this is the result:

I also started a "pimp my board" project. It is based on the first board I made. The board is very nice on the water, but the durability of the rails are to poor. The board have been used for paint trails, the kids used it for snowboarding and I planed just to let it go. But then I decieded to do a "pimp my board - rebuilding" So now the rails have been reinforced, the old paint job is removed, and I have started to do my own carbon fins (I just doing an upgrade on the moulds at the moment to have a better surface. The first mould were plaster moulds, now I change to epoxy moulds) The this is the status so fare:

Kind regards from Denmark
Lars

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Its winter time

Postby gbleck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:00 am

Cool. Did you mold in the fin threads or drill and tap?

grisen
Rare Poster

Postby grisen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:36 am

gbleck wrote:Cool. Did you mold in the fin threads or drill and tap?
I mold the fin thread directly

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:47 am

Hi,
what did you use for the 1.st rails, if you say they have a durability problems?

BR,
Zob

grisen
Rare Poster

Postby grisen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:01 pm

zob wrote:Hi,
what did you use for the 1.st rails, if you say they have a durability problems?

BR,
Zob
Hi Zob,
The rails were only wrapped with the top glas fiber lay up, no overlap between the bottom and top layers => weak construction right were the bottom meets the top. The other boards I have made until now are all with a solid rail of either epoxy or PU, which is also how I have made the reinforcement. The benefit of having solid rails beside the strength, is the posibility to change the rail shape pretty easy.

how the rails were made:

BR
Lars

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:41 pm

Ouu right. I tought you used a material which turned out to be crap.
I am familiar with this kind of ˝rails˝. :D
I also have two boards with this kind of rail, still waiting to get pimped (already did two). I should probably save them, if I get married some day. :D

BR,
Zob

IVSHORE-MTL
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Valois Bay - Montreal
Style: Freestyle & Course racing
Gear: airush xpact 2007 138cm, cabrinha prodigy 2009 158cm, roush skimboard, Cabrinha OmegaHD 2007 15m, North Rebel 2007 10m

Postby IVSHORE-MTL » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 am

Hey grisen, nice looking stuff!! I especially like the fins. Can you outline exactly how you make them? Detailed instructions would be awesome, from mold making to casting to finish... thanks! would love to make some of those carbons sexy fins

Return to “Gear Builders”