Boracay island
Gear: North Vegas 9m
Liquid Force Recoilcomp 131
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Los Roques in April

Postby Philippino » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:44 am

Hello!
I am going to Venezuela to Los Roques and Coche in April.
I found that it's impossible to book flight from Caracas to Los Roques through the Internet.
How could I buy tickets there?
Where is better to stay in Los Roques (midrange pousada) for one person?
How much does it cost to rent boat to the island to kite around?
Are there any kiteschools who could organise trip and offer any assistance?
Kiteregards,
Vlad.

docjibe
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Isabella
Favorite Beaches: Prea, La Ventana
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha kites, Ocean rodeo boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Los Roques in April

Postby docjibe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:11 am

I am going in March. Booked with Posada Movida and they bought the plane tickets for me from Caracas to Gran Roques.They also include boat service to the closer islands with the room rate. My question is what kite sizes to bring. I am 80kg and plan to bring a 9 and 11, should I bring a 7 also?

Philippino
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog, Philippines
Prea, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Prea
Boracay island
Gear: North Vegas 9m
Liquid Force Recoilcomp 131

Postby Philippino » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:59 am

Does boat service mean that they follow you all the day or that they just drop you off in the morning on the island and pick up in the evening?
How much does it cost?
Is it necessary to book pousada with boat service?
How is WiFi on the island?

docjibe
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Isabella
Favorite Beaches: Prea, La Ventana
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha kites, Ocean rodeo boards

Postby docjibe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:54 pm

The boat service is usually drop off and pick up. I do not know cost if booked separately, I would guess about $25. Some pousadas have WIFI

doksman
Rare Poster

Postby doksman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:34 pm

I am going in March as well. As said, I think it is better to book you flights through your hotel, I did it like this. A round-trip with Aerotuy costed 220 US dollars. I am going to stay at Posada Cayo Luna. Can´t tell you yet how good is it, but I payed 90 US dollars per person for a double room with breakfast, snack and dinner. Does anyone already has any info on this Posada?

kite252
Medium Poster

Postby kite252 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:55 pm

i went in once in june and in once in aug. Good consistent wind, but never nuked. docjibe-u shouldn't need a 7m. I'm about 65kg, and rode a 10m and 8m the whole time, and was never even close to overpowered on the 8. have fun, im jealous :D

islandstylen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby islandstylen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:55 pm

There is some WIFI on the island, i was picking it up from my boat while anchored or gran roque in june last year.
http://www.venezuelatuya.com/ this site might be able to help.
or maybe this one, i sometimes use this for my flights out of venezuela.
www.despegar.com (choose the venezuelan site)

here we go....

http://www.los-roques.com/flights.htm This will sort it.

june/august it doesnt always nuke. march/april should be tropical roaring 40's.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:08 pm

Philippino wrote:Hello!
I am going to Venezuela to Los Roques and Coche in April.
I found that it's impossible to book flight from Caracas to Los Roques through the Internet.
How could I buy tickets there?
Where is better to stay in Los Roques (midrange pousada) for one person?
How much does it cost to rent boat to the island to kite around?
Are there any kiteschools who could organise trip and offer any assistance?
Kiteregards,
Vlad.
Just got back DEC

Coche
Off shore wind (are you a beginner?). The point at coche is flat off shore wind the recovery boat is 50BV per retrieve. There is a great teacher there but If your a begginer I would go elsewhere.
To stay on the island it's cheap around 50$ us per night all you can eat and drink. We drank our $50 per night for sure.

This is where I stayed, don't think about hot water and bring bug spray you will need it. Phone and internet generally don't work and you can not get in touch with anyone ever! I just landed in the airport grabbed a cab to Ferry. Then said Paradise Hotel. They put me on a boat and over i went no cash needed.

▼ Coche Paradise HotelAddress:Station is accessible‎
This is an unverified listing Not true? Show all edits Not true?
Coche Paradise HotelAddress:
Playa La Punta
Isla de Coche, Venezuela
(0295) 265 4444
hotelcocheparadise.com‎

I would suggest you stay here for a little more maybe 60us I called them and they called me back
Punta Blanca Ocean Club HotelAddress:
Playa la Punta, Isla de Coche, 6301
Venezuela
(0295) 265 3800

Los Roques
http://www.losroques-airlines.com/ (flights)
This place is beautiful (there is a teacher somewhere if you can find them)
Front island would be the best for someone new. Winds are light there but in Dec we kitted every day (14m and 19m). Again not a place for beginners really.

Boats go from 50-150BV cheap don't worry about the boats a travel agent will find you.

I again booked a flight and rocked on over to the island. Don't go on weekend. Go to the island during the week and everything will be empty. If you get off the plane walk toward the city but stay to the right by the small lake. You will walk about 200-300m over a little bridge you will see a nice looking red brick type building turn left up this street you will see a dive shop on your left I think it's two houses up the lady there is blond and rents rooms it's 300bv a night (cheep cheep cheep). if your looking for more just walk up this street all the mid range rooms are on this street, be prepared to pay 150us per nigh for two all meals and lunch are included. The lady will only give you breakfast. I reanted a cooled for 10bv a day then went to the store and bought some stuff for the day beer included. there is a store for beer to. Food got a little hard to find the last few days boat that brings food to the island didn't come.

Not to many people speak English here. Caracas is not safe be careful, change your money at the illegal guys get not less then 7.5 per US$ Take all the US cash you will need for the trip I took 2.5k for three weeks and traveled to LR and Coche. If you use the Bank machines the tack on 40% service charge.

You will most likely get caught in an overnight in Caracas. There is a hotel shit i forget the name found it
Hotel Restaurant CATIMAR
Urbanización Puerto Viejo Av. Ppal., Catia La Mar
Maiquetía, Venezuela

Do not do outside, go to the bar eat drink and be marry catch your flight in the morning

Ok, truth I would not recommend you go to Ven. in 2006 it was the murder capital of the world per capital and it's not gotten better. Everything is run down the water looks like shit and in general smells. It hard to travel and nothing works the way it should. If you need more let me know. I've been a ton of places Los Roques is crazy beautiful but its a bitch to navigate.

When there (Ven) trust no one and I mean no one! I talked to two guys that got mugged in Porlamar. If your not a well groomed international traveler with experienced in bad places don't go.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:20 pm

docjibe wrote:I am going in March. Booked with Posada Movida and they bought the plane tickets for me from Caracas to Gran Roques.They also include boat service to the closer islands with the room rate. My question is what kite sizes to bring. I am 80kg and plan to bring a 9 and 11, should I bring a 7 also?

My god! Is it this place?

▼ La MovidaAddress:Station is accessible‎
Los Roques
Insel El Gran Roque, Venezuela

Get Directions
(0237) 221 1016

If so you are in the middle of nowhere! You are alone no town no people nothing but beautful nature. They should have a boat to move you around.

Guys stay on the main Island if you go, use google maps to see where the airport is.

Doc take the best bug spray you can buy with the highest level of DET you will need lots and need to cover yourself before bed but be prepared to give blood every night.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:34 pm

Sorry not to alarm the too guys with hotel bookings. I looked on Google maps and it seems to be off. Just confirm your on the island with the airport. If you there all is cool.

Just checked Google earth for you and it looks like you off the main island. Give them a call. If you of the island you will have a 1.5 hour boat ride once you land.

Return to “Travel”