All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Deep powder starts from a snowboard??
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:31 pm 
Medium Poster

This is my first season snowkiting, and I am having a terrible time getting rolling on a snowboard when the snow is deep. I don't have trouble when it's only a few inches or ice, but when in powder that's between knee and waist deep, I just can't get enough speed to get the floatation working in my favor? Snowboarding in deep powder is my favorite, but I just can't seem to get to that point behind a kite. Can anyone share any pointers?

Cheers!

Joe

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Deep powder starts from a snowboard??
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:05 pm 
Frequent Poster

I ride up in the Laurentians in Quebec and have this problem too when we have deep powder .....
I think you have to start straight downwind to get board speed before using any edge, and when you do make the progression of weight gently onto your front foot so you don't "submarine"
You need a lot of power to ride in deep powder so don't be shy to use more kite power and also try and find the biggest widest snowboard you can to reduce your "footprint" on the snow.....
and get it waxed too .... Have fun.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:11 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Use the Biggest kite you can hold down when its deep, and just like in the water "chase" the kite down wind with your first stroke then bear off and "make plane" just like you do on the water.

You need enough kite to make enough speed to get up on the top of the snow, once you are up on top enjoy the fuch out of all that yummy pow pow!

Having a bigg floaty board is also a big help. You can make a little board work but it is hell on your legs from standing in the back seat to keep up the tip, oh yea there is another point keep the tip up.

I also like t boost to the moon on big deep days and the big kite and the soft landings can not be beat!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:08 pm 
Medium Poster

Thanks for the tips! I have never tried it in the water and I am new in the snow. I haven't seen snow like this before, and it was kicking my butt. I appreciate the tips! Happy Superbowl Sunday!

Woot Woot!

Cheers!

Joe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Great replies! Rig Big! And get a board with rocker it helps on the fatigue factor! Keep up on the waxing too! Wayne

[ 5 posts ]