Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

5th line for inflatable

Forum for snow- and landkiters
kyleee
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

5th line for inflatable

Postby kyleee » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:46 am

i've been snowkiting a few times with my inflatable kite and it's impossible to relaunch it in the snow. someone told me i needed a 5th line for that, i got the 5th line but i have no idea how to put it on. can somebody explain?

thanks

kylee (from prince george bc, lemme know if there's any other kiters up here!!)

newsnowperson

Postby newsnowperson » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:22 pm

Instructions for my kite showed it connected to the front of the leading edge ( attachement was already there for the Cabrihba Sonic kite) and back to an attachement forward of the chicken loop. They mention to ensure this line does not tigthen up under any flying conditions , You must keep relatively slack.

That was the easy part , now what do I do?. Somebody mention to pull this line in a couple meters and let go and the kite should flip. Nothing really happened , also not easy to pull this line in with gloves .

I know this 5th line setup is older not like the rest of the newer setups , please take all this into consideration and wait to hear from informed people ( unless you have a SONIC ) .

Burness
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby Burness » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:18 pm

Hi Kyleee:

Here's a good link to a site which seems to explain the 5th line set up well. I'm planning on fitting two of my kites with a system similar to this. my other kite has a reverse launch bridal which works really well on snow!

http://www.usakite.com/5thline.htm

Best regards from the Rock,

Brad

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby bay surfer » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:35 pm

O.K. I'm going to get spanked for saying this. Snow is different than water!!!!!!
Due to less FRACTION the 5th line on the leading edge (does not work must of the time)...yes you can flip the kite on its back, but you do not have the suck of water to hold down the bottom edge to relauch.
The best way to hook up a 5th line on snow is to attach line on both med struts on the lee(bottom) edge( most Nash kite have attachment pionts there for this purpose) run the lines to make a V then run the 5th line to the bar.
This system works better than the Recon ect, in lit wind.

Airtime
Frequent Poster

Postby Airtime » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:22 pm

I agree with Bay surfer.. this is even more the case when it's a low amount of snow and ice.. the fifth line on an LEI should work similar to the brake lines on the foil.. pulling the kite backwards up into the wind and flipping the kite around. that's the idea of connecting your fifth line to the center struts
I had given up on LEI's in snow last year because of the aggravation associated with my kites, not having an attachment point for a 5th line.. basically now I have two quivers foils/Arc's and inflatable kites in larger sizes 16's through 25 , both quivers allow me to write a year-round without hassle...
Cherrs

Guess't

http://www.kitesnowboard.com/Content/MediaRoom/Fifthlinesetu

Postby Guess't » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:11 am

This is how I have my 16 fuel set up...works great:

http://www.kitesnowboard.com/Content/Me ... setup.html

Guess't

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:42 am

I'm going to eat just a little crow, A friend of mine did launch repeatively on snow in high winds with a 7m LEI with a leading edge fifth line. We'll have to see if it works for a large kite in Moderate winds. Most people have had very poor success with the shift system. Right now I'm taking a the fifth on leading edge fifths.

Hans5h2oh
Rare Poster

Postby Hans5h2oh » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:16 pm

Craig,

Greetings from the South (Grand Haven). We have yet to try a shift setup on the snow, and likely will not this season as I don't believe anyone here plans to have new kites before the snow melts.

In moderate winds I have been able to relaunch LEIs if I can get them over on their back. It takes some work, but it is possible. On skis with light snow cover it's much easier, as you can work you body to the edge of the window instead of trying to get the kite to do it.

I think you hit the nail on the head though, it will only work in moderate to strong winds (the LE 5th line), and the smaller kites (as always) are easier to relaunch.

tybo
Rare Poster
Style: snowkiting
Gear: beginner 2.5m

Re: 5th line for inflatable

Postby tybo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:08 pm

Hey Kyleee,

I know it's a long time ago, but you asked on this forum for somebody who snowkite in Prince George, BC... I'm in Prince George right now and I'm practicing snowkiting around... I'd be really happy to contact you to know the good spots... and to go kiting if you're still around.

Hope you're gonna get this message soon...

Tybo (from Prince George, BC)

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Re: 5th line for inflatable

Postby snobdr » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:35 pm

I flew yargas on snow for a few years and never had a problem relaunching with the 5th. Even in light winds. It does take some practice though especially in lighter winds. Gota fumble around with the lines to get the kite to do what u want it to. Using the 5th for relaunch is really just to get the kite on its back which is nearly impossible on snow and ice.

Return to “Snow / Land”