New to forum and the sport :) -- South Florida

Forum for kitesurfers
dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

New to forum and the sport :) -- South Florida

Postby dyyylan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:25 am

My name is Dylan and I live in Boca Raton, FL and am excited to start this sport as soon as I can save up some money for lessons, and then gear.

I've never even flown a kite before, but I grew up on the beach skimboarding and surfing. So I'm sure it'll be an interesting experience when I take a lesson.

I'm also really involved with aggressive skating, I do that at various skateparks around SE florida most nights a week, and also with photography -- I just graduated from college with a BFA in it last month. I suspect I'll probably end up taking more pictures than actually riding at the beginning, hah.

I'm always looking to meet new people that live around here, hit me up on facebook or email or whatever if you want to show me the ropes or ride around here some time! http://www.facebook.com/dylanfl dylan@dylanfoto.com

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: New to forum and the sport :) -- South Florida

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:38 pm

welcome!
you will have great fun combining kiting and skating with those wakeskates.
But lessons are needed before to make sure you won't get hurt.
There are several schools in Florida.

Enjoy!

DesertWind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: I live between Homer, Alaska, Washington, DC and Oahu, Hawaii.
Favorite Beaches: I love kiting and teaching in places where the scene is just getting off the ground and everyone is psyched to learn. Personally, I like riding at my home beach in Homer, Alaska, snowkiting in Flagstaff, Arizona, and almost anywhere in the Caribbean. South Padre Island, TX and Cape Hatteras, NC are great for riding and teaching too. Now that we are in Hawaii a lot, I am really loving the small, tight wave focused scene on Oahu.
Style: Anything with a kite.
Gear: I ride anything safe and fun.
Been thanked: 0

Postby DesertWind » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:00 pm

I would also like to welcome you to the sport! Take some lessons, get some gear and man are you going to learn fast and be ripping in no time with your board skills. I have a student on the Delaware coast who is an amazing skater and surfer. He picked up kiteboarding and was going up wind in a few days. Then I got him on a mountain board on some hard packed beach sand and now I think he does only that. This sounds like you. The water is amazing but it seems like you skate folks might be destined to push land kiting to the next level! Land kiting has so much potential and there are a hand full of core guys really pushing it around the world. It would be great to see land kiting grow like snowkiting is!

Traveler Terpening
www.desertwindkiteboarding.com

danny31292
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby danny31292 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:20 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”