Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks, NC
Cape Cod
Style: water, snow, land
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: technique for horror chop...

Postby alden » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:00 pm

I have had a 2005 vintage LF mlf 122cm board that I got free with a kite purchase. For years I tried to sell or give this board away as a grom board but had no takers so the board was never ridden. Last summer I decided to try it myself in overpowered choppy conditions, I'm 185lbs, 83kg. Presto! It is the best chop board I have ever ridden. I found that I could power through chop with amazing comfort. This board has a double concave underneath, so it has a ridge in the center like a v-hull boat. And it has large rocker, especially for a small board, so it carves great turns. It also has some straight ridges that lead into the fins area (much like the newest boards that can be ridden finless). At high speed this board throws a unique wake which is sort of half atomized spray, maybe from the sheet of water hitting these straight ridges underneath. This board must be powered for sure, but now for me its a keeper!

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:54 pm

alden wrote:I have had a 2005 vintage LF mlf 122cm board that I got free with a kite purchase. For years I tried to sell or give this board away as a grom board but had no takers so the board was never ridden. Last summer I decided to try it myself in overpowered choppy conditions, I'm 185lbs, 83kg. Presto! It is the best chop board I have ever ridden. I found that I could power through chop with amazing comfort. This board has a double concave underneath, so it has a ridge in the center like a v-hull boat. And it has large rocker, especially for a small board, so it carves great turns. It also has some straight ridges that lead into the fins area (much like the newest boards that can be ridden finless). At high speed this board throws a unique wake which is sort of half atomized spray, maybe from the sheet of water hitting these straight ridges underneath. This board must be powered for sure, but now for me its a keeper!
Sorry Alden , I thought we were discussing Directional race and or free race boards here, and they are a complete different story than twintip boards, which I assume you are talking about? :wink:
Frank

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jwoodunlv » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:36 am

Try hanging off the kite more than usual. I don't ride directionals but I come from a windsurfing background. If you hang off the kite more it unweight's the board so it will float right over the chop and smooth out the ride. If you bounce a bit and catch air just get your back foot under you a bit more and you will ride out of it just fine. If you are riding more upright then you force the board to push more water out of the way.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:52 am

yes definitely discussing raceboards..not TT.. :-)
jwoodunlv wrote:Try hanging off the kite more than usual. I don't ride directionals but I come from a windsurfing background. If you hang off the kite more it unweight's the board so it will float right over the chop and smooth out the ride. If you bounce a bit and catch air just get your back foot under you a bit more and you will ride out of it just fine. If you are riding more upright then you force the board to push more water out of the way.
But how to hold max speed if you lift up the kite? So far it seems using longer fins kind of stabilizes the board. However it does feel like I am more at the mercy of the board so to speak.

oh well...we haven't had wind in ages..

Return to “Kitesurfing”