All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: west or east coast florida in april
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:08 pm 
Rare Poster

So there's a pretty big possibility ill be heading down to Orlando mid April. My mom has a nursing conference there.

What I'm wondering is would it be better on the east coast for wind or west. Would it be colder on the east side? Where are the best beaches this time of year? I believe after the conference we might stay a few extra days somewhere else closer to the ocean. I'd want to stay close to where the wind is predicted this time of year.

I've never been to Florida before so any help would be great!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: west or east coast florida in april
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:35 pm 
Medium Poster

If you drive down the turnpike 2 hours south from Orlando to the West Palm/Jupiter area, April will still be in our "windy" season which has not been spectacular so far this year. As far as water temps go, by that point, the ocean temps will be back into the upper 70's. Definitely will not be colder on the east side. The WPB area is the closest the Gulf Stream gets to the US, so the ocean never really gets colder than 70F. I go out from Dec - Mar in nothing more than a 2mm long sleeve top and boardshorts (although if it is 50 deg outside, I would for sure be chilly while riding). Haven't ridden much on the west coast of Florida. If you end up coming this way, the Jupiter kite beach is at shower head 33 (they are all numbered) on A1A a mile or so north of the Juno Beach Pier. If it's blowing 15 mph or more, expect waves at least in the 3 to 6 foot range. No real hazards to speak of, lots of unguarded beach ~150' wide for about a mile in either direction from the launch spot.

[ 2 posts ]