Forum for snow- and landkiters
bigben91682
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: video: Oneida Lake (NY)

Postby bigben91682 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Sounds like there should be a decent group on Oneida on Saturday. Not yet sure where people are flying from, could be from Sylvan or Borio's - is there a winter festival going on @ borio's? Not sure what the snow cover is like, in albany it's rock hard crust over 2' of powder, not good....

@metivir - are you going to be out on L George saturday?? Could be nice wind conditions, I've been meaning to get up there. Where do you launch from?

metivir
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake George
Gear: HQ

Postby metivir » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:40 pm

Hey there
I usually hop on my four wheeler and ride out onto Harris bay from my house. The wind typically runs from the North which is perfect most of the time. March will bring more out of the south so I would suggest launching from lake George village. There is a lot of street parking and public beaches to get on the ice. You may need to hike past the car/wheeler/ races before launching. Let me know if you plan to head up this way and I will direct you to the better locations depending on the wind. I have only seen one other guy out kiting so some company would be appreciated.

jhunter84
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Point Pleasant, NJ
Favorite Beaches: Ubatuba, Florianopolis

Postby jhunter84 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:03 am

Hey guys - I am getting into kiting and noticed on here you guys snowkite on Oneida Lake. I grew up on the lake and go back there often to visit my family, do you guys also kiteboard out there, if so how are the conditions?

I am looking to maybe get a 6M SLE to train with and hopefully it would serve to be able to snowkite a bit too, what do you think?

Thanks,

Joe

bigben91682
Rare Poster

Postby bigben91682 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:22 pm

I've yet to get on the water - hoping to this summer - but I know people routinely kitesurf out of Sylvan Beach during the summer.

As for picking up a kite - it would probably be good to start with a trainer, less money up front and good to learn the basics on. A 6m SLE is going to take a lot of wind to fly properly, and will be a difficult kite to learn on. Learn kite control with a cheap trainer, and aim for a medium wind kite for your eventual SLE (size will depend on your weight), probably something more in the 10m range for most riders.

jhunter84
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Point Pleasant, NJ
Favorite Beaches: Ubatuba, Florianopolis

Postby jhunter84 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:24 pm

Thanks for the heads up, just to clarify you think a 6M would not be sufficient for snowkiting, kiteboarding or both?

My parents actually have a lake house right in Sylvan so I spend a lot of time there in the summer! Keep me posted this spring/summer if you head out there, I'd like to hear where good launch spots are to ride.

Return to “Snow / Land”