naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Best Light Wind Inflatable 2011

Postby naishdude » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:59 pm

Younger wrote:
apos0 wrote:
IMG_9772.JPG
Just got my Edge 15m!

Riding in about 10knots with my twintip Raptor pro 132x41. I weight 85kgs. Terrible wind conditions that day 6-13knts, I didnt even use my race or surf board. I am glad i didnt go for the Zeph!
Why are you glad you didnt go for the Zephyr?
Same question here :!: :!: :!:

apos0
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby apos0 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:54 pm

ok, i was torn between the Zeph and the edge 15m. I had used the zeph 2010 and i was impressed. The only downside was that the kite delivered raw power non stop and didnt fly as much in the wind window as I would like to. Most of my big kites were Edges in the past. Also note that could go better upwind with my EZE 13m that the zephyr, but the the zeph had tons of power.

When Ozone anounced the 15m edge i was glad and placed an order. I had my concerns though as i wanted a kite for low wind and i knew the zeph could deliver. But trying the 15m i was happy with ny choice. The kite has lots of power but most importantlty it flies like a high aspect kite should fly. It flies to the window like no other kite this size i have tried.
Propably the zeph would be an easier kite for a beginner. To fly the edge on marginal winds needs a skilled rider. It also flies downwind like a dream. I was also impressed on how powerful the kite was on the upstroke (very important on low winds or racing).
So for riders that are experienced and want a low wind kite, should consider the 15m edge as it does more than the zeph will ever do! And I didn't even try it with a race board yet!
Thats my opinion anyway. I am a paying customer and Ozone should look at their prices as the Edge 15m far too expensive for most people (1.750 euros)!!

RDM
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby RDM » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:53 pm

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:19 am

I got pretty close to a true back to back comparison of 15 One by Airush and the Ozone Zephyr.

See the video at: http://vimeo.com/20719103

Overall, it wasn't quite perfect as I felt I could have shortened the back lines on the One just a little bit and used the 65cm bar with it. Also, I think the Zephyr was a hair underpumped.

The final score though, as it was that day, is that the One turns noticeably faster but maybe doesn't have quite the low end that the Zephyr has.

-Droffats
www.kiteboardmilwaukee.com

SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SBBeachbum » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:37 am

droffats wrote:I got pretty close to a true back to back comparison of 15 One by Airush and the Ozone Zephyr.

Overall, it wasn't quite perfect as I felt I could have shortened the back lines on the One just a little bit and used the 65cm bar with it. Also, I think the Zephyr was a hair underpumped.

The final score though, as it was that day, is that the One turns noticeably faster but maybe doesn't have quite the low end that the Zephyr has.

-Droffats
Finally a kite comparison video where one can actually see the kite! The Airush for sure looked faster turning. Was the line length the same on both kites?

droffats
Very Frequent Poster

Postby droffats » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:58 am

Good question. The Airush Smartbar comes with 25m lines. The Ozone Zephyr lines are 27m. I thought about using the same bar on both kites. I decided against that because I wanted to compare that kites as they would normally be purchased at retail -- with their own bar/lines.

It was hard enough trudging out in that snow and pumping up those monsters! OK it wasn't that hard, but I'm getting old, fat, and tired.

- Droffats
www.kiteboardmilwaukeecom

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:26 am

:cool2:
droffats wrote:I got pretty close to a true back to back comparison of 15 One by Airush and the Ozone Zephyr.

-Droffats
I see you were flying the Zeph 2011 on a 2010 bar...where you have the nice depowerline system, not the one they use now, which to my opinion, is a way to make it cheaper and absolutely not to make it better, ( I had the 2010 now all 2011)
Secondly out of my experience and this is only lightwind and water...the Zephyr does not like to be sined like that, you should sine it without going so deep towards the surface, it likes and builds up more power if you just sine smooth and more horizontally like for example ~~~~ so not going that deep..it will build up more power.
How would you compare the barpressure of both kites?
Greetz
Dude :cool2:

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom

Postby kitesurfbali » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Naishdude, the one in the Video is a Zephyr 2010.
Bye Jankie

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:47 pm

kitesurfbali wrote:Naishdude, the one in the Video is a Zephyr 2010.
Bye Jankie
ooooopsssssssssssssssssssss :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
sorry for that, my mistake
Dude :cool2: to make it up: http://www.board-mag.com/2011/02/ozone- ... 11-review/

droffats
Very Frequent Poster

Postby droffats » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:23 pm

Yeah, 2010. The wind was so light at times that if I wasn't moving the kite it would fall out of the sky. I'd say lulls of 5mph.

- Droffats

Return to “Kitesurfing”