Kite Reveiws

Forum for kitesurfers
coxy
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby coxy » Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:27 am

Hi all,

I saw a review in a recent issue of one of the Kitesurf magazines, I think it was an American publication.
The review in question absolutely 'cained ' the RRD supertype as being slow, and amongst other things of poor jumping/ hangtime ability. I am a fairly advanced rider, and I have invested a huge amount of wedge on a quiver of 5 Supertypes as they were advertised as being for pros/advanced riders and hangtime comps.

So, can somebody tell me, how reliable are these reveiws, are they bias? Or is it that I have just waisted money on a bunch of Turkeys that I should sell and replace with X2's?

What do you guys think??

jever98
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jever98 » Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:34 am

I heard some good things about the super types, but never tried.
But are you sure you need 5 kites? I reduced my quiver to 3 X2s, which I find to be a good set.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:41 pm

Why don't you go out and fly your kites, and then you'll know for yourself about the kites.
Kitesurfing is about getting out there and DOING it, not about sitting around here postulating about gear, etc. (OK, so that is what I do while I'm stuck here at work...)
But, Dude, you have 5 (!) new kites, go out and RIDE!

jever98
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jever98 » Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:48 pm

On the other hand, if you haven't used them yet, then you can may be give them back...

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:21 pm

A:MVC-007.JPG

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:33 pm

Hey . Go try your kites. They are excellent performers when tunned properly. The nice person who tested it for the mag took it out of the bag and went out. The front lines are about a foot out of tune so his full power spot would have been about 3 inches past the end of the chickn loop. Anyway all I sail are the Super Type kites. The 4.1s are also really good this year but if you have the supers tune them and you will be really amazed at the increased performance from your old kite. I promise you will not be dissapointed. They are awesome. Check out our website Kitesurfpr.com for tuning tips and photos. All we sell are RRD. They are extremely durable, have very few failures and a great warranty program both for kites and boards. Give them a chance. No one we have sold a Super Type Kite has anything bad to say at all.
Aloha Foyce.
Aloha Royce.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:02 pm

With test reviews it is always the same.
So many different results. And the testers know what they are doing, since they try different trims as well.
But the industry should always send someone with the tests to make sure everything is set up correctly.

The best to find out about kites is to fly it yourself, unfortunately not everyone has the chace to do so.

Toby

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:39 pm

Hi All,

This is my review:
I sailed the RRD Supertype 14 last week with a wipika throtlle bar setup. My first impression was that it is a very good kite, stable, responsive, good lift. I needed no time to get to know the kite and it's characteristics, with the bar you tell it what to do and it will do it. I mean it is an allround good kite. So if you are looking for an all round-performer, a different design, and a kite built to last, go with RRD. Take a look for yourself and you will notice the extra thick dacron they use for the leading edge and the struts. Also the bladders are much more durable because they are much thicker.
The only negative thing I noticed was the fluttering of the trailing edge sometimes, not all the time and it has no influence on the performance of the kite, the kite stays absolutely stable.
In some countries the RRD kites are not well known, If you have the chance to try before you buy, go for it you will not be dissapointed. Look at the details of the kite and the bar and you will see that the members of the RRD design team have put their head, heart and soul in designing these kites and parts.

Hang loose,

Willem
Boardsports.nl

p.s. I used the throttlebar because I can change the line setup while the kite is in the air and it has a Quick Release for safety.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Fri Jul 26, 2002 11:12 am

Hey. Definitly a good idea to use a sheeting system when trying new kites. Turns the setup into one ride. As for the flutter...we have been selling and using super Type kites for about 6 months in all sizes and windspeeds. No flutter anywhere. Must have been the kite you tried. The only times I get it to flutter is extremely overpowered riding the kite to the edge of the window the front third will flutter...ie is depowered. Its a good thing. The super is a great kite. You might be surprised also how well the 4.1 RRD kites perform. They are my choice for wavesailing.
Aloha R
Aloha R

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.