Forum for kitesurfers
Linhster
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Le Galion in St Martin Banned!

Postby Linhster » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:39 am

Just got to St. Martin and discovered my favorite spot has been BANNED.

From the newspaper of St Martin...

MARIGOT--Unbeknownst to many, the seemingly harmless sport of kitesurfing has been banned in the bay of Le Galion since two Prefectoral bye-laws were passed in March 29 of this year forbidding the practice in the Reserve Naturelle.
However the ban appears not to be enforced. Kitesurfers continue to surf pending a study that will be completed in September this year that may result in a compromise between the Reserve and the kitesurfing community and water sports operators such as Windy Reef that depend on the sport for their livelihood.
Kitesurfing is part and parcel of popular water sports activities that draws tourism to the island. On the other hand Le Galion and Baie L'Embouchure are destined at some point to become entirely national park, returned to the people of the island, free of commercial enterprises.
The sport has come under criticism due to accidents that occur as well as from complaints filed by snorkelers and swimmers at Le Galion to the Reserve. An American tourist was reportedly knocked off his horse by a kite surf sail resulting in a broken arm and accidents are reported frequently in the Mediterranean.
Kitesurfers were stunned by the decision and immediately formed their own "Kitesurfers Collective" which submitted a petition protesting the decision to the Prefecture. Before imposing a total ban the Reserve previously attempted to mark out zoning areas for Kitesurfers but apparently these zones were not respected. The bay is smaller in area than Orient Bay.
The new manager of Reserve Naturelle Romain Renoux only took up his post at the beginning of June, two months after the decision was taken, and has stated his willingness to look at both sides of the argument.
The study will look at how the sport should be regulated in terms of safety, zoning, and limiting number of Kitesurfers on the water at one time to satisfy both the Reserve and the Kitesurfers.
That said it is by no means certain the ban will be overturned. Renoux does not have that authority and Prefet Jacque Simonnet clearly stated last week the bay at Le Galion is "not adapted" for Kitesurfing and poses a threat to families and walkers on the beach. He added Kitesurfers will be fined if they are caught surfing. :angryfire:

Link to the original below.

http://www.thedailyherald.com/sports/lo ... g-ban.html

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Le Galion in St Martin BANNED!

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:34 am

not sure if I understood correctly: it is banned currently but they review it so the ban might be lifted ?

Windsurfing still is allowed I guess?

Linhster
Rare Poster

Re: Le Galion in St Martin Banned!

Postby Linhster » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:15 am

Toby, The new was from MONDAY, 02 AUGUST 2010. And windsurfing is still allowed (not confirmed).

Wind has been weak so far. Today was my first attempt at kiting. Going to try and get more info during my stay.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:52 am

ok, pls do get more info.
Any local from there around who knows the current standing?

islandstylen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby islandstylen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:48 pm

I left st martin a week ago.
we anchored in orient. spoke to a few guys, they said you can kite galion but not launch or land there. something to do with the bird life.
You have to kite around there from Orient Bay.

web.mac.com/caribbeankitesurfari

agakan
Rare Poster

Postby agakan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:53 pm

aircatcher
Frequent Poster

Postby aircatcher » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:26 pm

Look at that! one more beautiful kite spot is gone ... wonder what next? :worry: Japan EQ,nuclear meltdown,mass exodus ...nothing good lately. I'm gonna kite to forget all this. take it while you can.

thierrydehove
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Anguilla BWI
Favorite Beaches: Anguilla BWI, Hawaii and Brazil
Style: waves
Gear: Epic
Brand Affiliation: Epic

Postby thierrydehove » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:31 am

Guys
It's sadely true and I don't want to waste my time to explain but the new politic in SXM don't give a shit about kite and they want to create an aquarium... It's not a joke

Any way we are fighting with the official rules and law to get back this unique spot

So please it will be helpful if you can post some comments and click on like to help us and you also

http://touch.facebook.com/#/profile.php ... 116&v=feed

Keep
Thierry

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:00 am

I have traveled to St. Martin 3 times to go kiteboarding. Each time my wife and I stayed for 8 - 10 days. We also spent several thousand dollars on lodging, food, etc. This year we did not go to St. Martin because of the ban. Until the ban is lifted, I will be spending my money elsewhere.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:37 am

Thierry: please start an online poll and we all will help to get many signatures to get this ban lifted !
Remember, the power of the internet !

Let's make them aware we are strong!

Return to “Kitesurfing”