Forum for kitesurfers
rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Directonal strap help

Postby rightguard » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:59 pm

Ok I've been wondering about Mutant boards but maybe I should just get help with my directional. I have a Naish Gun, couple years old but brand new. I can't get use to the straps and they kill my feet. Any advice on how to set the straps up? Are there better straps out there that you would suggest?

The foot pad has a bump down the center, right under the strap. Is that bump suppose to go under your arch or under your toe? How do you keep your back foot heal from dragging in the water?

What do you think of the Naish Gun as a first directional?

mdmaui
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maui
Style: freeride
Gear: Globe
Brand Affiliation: Globe

Re: Directonal strap help

Postby mdmaui » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:22 am

NSI straps are super kush. I think you want your heel towards the rail of the board. You can tighten the strap so only the front of your foot gets in and sand off the arch support.
I would start riding the thing without the straps and see where your feet are spending the most time. If the straps do not fit in a position close by, the board is wrong for you.
Hope that helps!

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:32 am

Ditch the straps... you'll never look back.

Better for your feet, knees and way more fun. Surfboards are made to be moved around on.

I experimented with different types of straps. NSI are the ones I hated less...
Now all the straps live in a box in my garage.

Pop over to http://www.losethestraps.com

It's actually easier than you think. Good luck!!

As for a firsts directional I favor larger lighter boards. Used surfboards are great.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:23 am

rightguard wrote:Ok I've been wondering about Mutant boards but maybe I should just get help with my directional. I have a Naish Gun, couple years old but brand new. I can't get use to the straps and they kill my feet. Any advice on how to set the straps up? Are there better straps out there that you would suggest?

Straps are like shoes, you need to try different models to find the right fit. In any case they should be much looser than on a TT to allow for more movement of the foot.

The foot pad has a bump down the center, right under the strap. Is that bump suppose to go under your arch or under your toe? How do you keep your back foot heal from dragging in the water?

Your feet should be over the center line of the board. Bumps in the pads are ment for you to feel the location of your feet on the board when riding straspless.

What do you think of the Naish Gun as a first directional?

Probably not the most versatile board but good enough to start. Most of all surfing is something very personnal so take advice but also do/ride what feels right for you whether with or without straps.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:28 am

Agree fully, straps are like shoes, or harnesses and so on - different personal likings and physical differences in feet too :thumb:

You gotta find out yourself !

Sounds like a "what kind of advice is THAT ?" - but seriously, noone will ever be able to tell you what strap will work for you, unless you have an identical twin brother with the same preferences maybe :roll:

Apart from that:

They should not be too tight - especially not the front one, compared to a TT.
You must never ever have to "wriggle" your feet in the straps - then it is all wrong I would say.

The bump in the middle is for being able to twist your foot easily in the straps, and still being able to hold the board with your toes, when doing high jumps or aerials :thumb:
Can also be used to feel where your feet are strapless as noted.

The Naish Gun is an awesome board, and quite amazing and not riding like a "big wave gun" at all, so enjoy your board :D

Some like wide straps like on twintips, other likes narrow windsurf style straps (I do myself - WAY better for me personally...)

The front strap should be a bit looser than the rear one IMO, and the rear should fit bullseye, in order to REALLY be radical and have a tight grip both when doing flat tailslides or steep power cutbacks.
Again, that is my preference only - some like straps really big.

The position is important - dont put the rear strap too aft if new to directionals.
And dont ride the rear strap at all when going upwind or in light wind - unless you are new and have moved the strap forward to fit for "starters".

You dont have to get your feet over the middle of the board :wink: (well, your toes yes)
Strapless, yes, you have no other choice in order to put pressure on the board on the leeside rail.
But that is one of the advantages strapped - that you have more options and leverage, and can in fact have your feet slightly away from the center, and still put lots of pressure on the leeside rail 8)
And the heelside rail can be loaded a lot too :naughty:
This is especially important for wide boards and a huge advantage - where you strapless sometimes would have to move your foot from leeside to heelside in order to put pressure on the rails with "weight".

Again - it is two riding styles that can be VERY different (and also similar if you want) - I love both strapped and strapless because of this, but strapped gives you a lot of options IMO (others would say the opposite, I know, but lets not get into that discussion here...).

From an old thread two years ago, here are my preferred "windsurf" straps - I use the same on my newer boards today :

Just to show how different likings there are - others dont like above, some just loves these - so you have to find the right ones yourself.

8) Peter

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:27 pm

To prove your point, those DK straps were the worst I ever had :D

Could'nt ride without getting sore feet... sold them within a week and the guy who bought them loves them.

So what straps I use now does not matter because although they are perfect for me they could be someone elses nightmare !

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:12 pm

windmaker wrote:To prove your point, those DK straps were the worst I ever had :D

Could'nt ride without getting sore feet... sold them within a week and the guy who bought them loves them.

So what straps I use now does not matter because although they are perfect for me they could be someone elses nightmare !
Exactly - so so true !

My buddy who got a board of mine, hated those, and loved some very wide straps - that I really hated, when I tried his :roll:

So the advice would be, just like with harnesses - you HAVE to find out yourself what works for you :naughty:

:D Peter

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:33 pm

But you are saying that your foot should be centered on the board. Meaning that your foot has to go far into the strap.

I have been using Jimmy lewis straps I'm not sure if I like the shape, but I don't like that they have an elastic part to them. It keeps them tight to the board no matter how loose they are. I have to force my foot into them which seems strange. Maybe I can get rid of the elastic and try it that way.

Any beginning advice on how to jib? I can make the turn riding out toe side. Take my back foot out and place it kind of sideways next to my front foot, and then all hell breaks loose. Plus I only really know how to make a toe side turn with my good foot forward. I guess I have to work on everything.

Return to “Kitesurfing”