Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

PKRA Mexico 2011 Day 2

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:44 am

PKRA News:

Five course races dominate day two

It was another bright and sunny day in beautiful Riviera Maya, Mexico. A large number of spectators lurked around the beach today in hopes of catching a glimpse of all the exciting kiteboarding action. Racers made their way to the beach early this morning for the skippers meeting.
untitled-7420.jpg
untitled-7420.jpg (75.68 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
Competitors had a little extra time to fine tune their equipment and make last minute preparations before spurting out onto the water. A total of five course races were held today under light but unstable and gusty winds averaging 10-12 knots with a scorching air temperature of 30 degrees Celsius.

Racers pumped up their largest kites and dashed off to the start line for what would be the first race of the Racing Kiteboard World Tour & Freestyle Pro in Riviera Maya, Mexico.

It was a great race day for California sunny boy, John Heineken (Ozone, USA). Heineken took first place in three races of five today, earning him the top position on the scoring chart. He managed to come in second place in the second race and ran into a bit of trouble during the fourth race, which was the cause for him to not finish.

French rider Olivier Dansin (North, FRA) had a couple of great runs today, finishing first as well as second in two races today followed by a third position in the third race. Blazej Ozog (North, POL) was amongst the top scoring racers today taking on second place in one race today. Ozog is part of the North production class team who are on fire this year with their great racing equipment.
untitled-8093.jpg
untitled-8093.jpg (59.66 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
An impressive debut for newcomer to the PKRA World Tour Racing lineup is Riccardo Leccese (Ozone, COL) from Columbia. Leccese represented his country proudly today by taking second place in one race today as well as two third place positions. Leccese ran into some technical difficulties with his gear during the final two races today however this unforeseen incident did not affect his overall performance.
untitled-8017.jpg
untitled-8017.jpg (73.51 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
In the women’s racing division all three women fought strategically for first place. French rider Caroline Adrien (Cabrinha, FRA) made a couple errors during the first two races of the day, which set her back to the overall second position. Melissa Gil (Cabrinha, USA) had a spectacular run today taking on first place in the first two races followed by three second place finishes. Gil who has been competing competitively for some time has proved today that her skills and determination could find her taking an event title here in Mexico. Spanish rider Nuria Goma (Liquid Force, ESP) ran a tight course today enabling her second place in the first two races of the day followed by three third place positions in the final three races of the day.

Pictures: http://prokitetour.com/event-photos.php?id=118&Day=2

The mandatory skippers meeting is set for 10:30am tomorrow morning where the wind and weather forecast is predicting light wind conditions.
untitled-7433.jpg
untitled-7433.jpg (86 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
The Racing Kiteboard World Tour & Freestyle Pro is sponsored in part by MINI and The Riviera Maya Tourism Board and organized by PhotoproMedia Productions.
Attachments
Mexico-2011-Racing-Results-day-1-men-1.jpg
Mexico-2011-Racing-Results-day-1-men---production-1.jpg
Mexico-2011-Racing-Results-day-1-men---production-1.jpg (112.94 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
Mexico-2011-Racing-Results-day-1-women.jpg
Mexico-2011-Racing-Results-day-1-women.jpg (51.2 KiB) Viewed 2967 times

ferrarista
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: PKRA Mexico 2011 Day 2

Postby ferrarista » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:45 pm

An impressive debut for newcomer to the PKRA World Tour Racing lineup is Riccardo Leccese (Ozone, COL) from Columbia. Leccese represented his country proudly today by taking second place in one race today as well as two third place positions. Leccese ran into some technical difficulties with his gear during the final two races today however this unforeseen incident did not affect his overall performance
My cousin Riccardo is rocking the course :mosh: :clap: :claps:

hope he can stay in the top 3. It would be a first podium finish at his second participation in a pkra event. last year he went to the pkra argentina.

best of luck for him !

the guy with the red cap

Flysurf77
Medium Poster
Gear: EPIC KITEBOARDING
Brand Affiliation: IKO/PADI/EPIC/WAINMAN

Postby Flysurf77 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:51 pm

2 nd day of the PKRA in Playa del Carmen Mexico!
Some more pictures of the event!

More pictures soon! :mosh:

http://www.pdckiteboarding.com

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:41 pm

That's a good photo of a very relaxed looking Johnny Heiniken, with his front foot in the strap and his rear foot just pushing on the rail, so presumably he is heading upwind.
Nice to see his sheeting method as well - its obviously working, judging by his results.

The North 69 cm tri-fin production board seems to be competitive, and looks good.

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:10 pm

Looks like Farley is rocking the all white kites. They look tight and stable in the air. What is with the single all black panels? Is that the new north design for this year? Nice to see Dimitri rocking the big blue infinity.

alex a
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches on Maui like Kanaha, Hookipa, Lanes, etc.
Favorite Beaches: Hookipa
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Style: all kinds
Gear: Aguera Boards
Cabrinha Kites
Brand Affiliation: Aguera
Cabrinha

Postby alex a » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:27 am

Nice Job Rikki (Riccardo Leccese) on the Aguera Production CR 59 from last year! I am very impressed with your racing! You will have to get you one of the new models when they arrive (CR 64 or the CR 69).
How come you are not racing Production Class ?
AA

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:08 am

great performance from Riccardo! All those guys around him are very experienced!

latest results: viewtopic.php?t=2369549

rikki
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fonda Antioqueña (San Andres Island-Colombia)
Lago Calima (Cali-Colombia)
Favorite Beaches: Everywhere where is windy !!!!!
Style: Fast
Gear: Race, FreeRide
Brand Affiliation: retailer SS, Naish, Ozone, Fone, North, LF, Cogua Boards

Postby rikki » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 am

Well it was very difficult to me to keep my third position with such great equipment around, my production Cr59 2010 is performing at his top, i found its best performing changing and trainning lot of fins.
Even if had a great start and been at leading of the race with Jonh, Dansin and Julien, after the second lap was obiously how them boards were porforming Upwind, and was manly were i lost my positions, but i gave the fight hitting good results such some 3rd and 2nd positions keeping my average between 3rd and 5th place, This was enought to make most of the final races more competitive.
I want to clear that i was racing on the production Cr59 from last year, but i signed on the Custom class cuz i might race the upcomming events with a custom board,(i dont want to loose the IKA points signing in a dferent class) So if i were signed in the Production Class the podium would had to be diferennt with an Cr59 from AA at the second place over some 2011 Productions boards.

So i think this makes Alex happy !!
I gonna keep my hard and focus trainning i want really bad to be at the podium !! hope to bring some news later about comps

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:59 am

thx for the info Rikki! Well done! Keep pushing! Coming to the world championship in Germany this year?

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:22 am

I noticed that half the fleet DNF most races. How come?

Return to “Kitesurfing”