lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rodwy Kite Socks

Postby lieutenantglorp » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:07 pm

Anybody try these yet? About $150 US is a bit much to experiment with. I dislike booties and want to kite barefoot, but local beach conditions are not exactly white sandy beach without obstacles. I like this idea better than the Vibram Fivefingers, but not sure how long that stiching would hold up.

Rodwy Kite Sock
Attachments
schnittfesterrodwykitesock.jpg
kitesockeseitevornecmyklogogelb.jpg
kitesockeoffen.jpg

kitingkt
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Rodwy Kite Socks

Postby kitingkt » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:34 am

Hi,

I looked at these just before my visit to Baja. Two years ago, I got a nasty cut about 1 1/2 inches long on my foot that ended my sailing for the week. I used my Rip Curl booties this time which have a decent sole to them so, I didn't buy. I balked at that $150 as well but, my wife asked what I would have paid to be able to sail those last three days. $150 didn't sound like such a bad price then.

kt

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:34 am

Pretty creative... Best thing to Bear feet. We get cold water,
lots off shells & rocks, guys may like these...

lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster

Postby lieutenantglorp » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:15 pm

I wonder if I could put a thin aquaseal bead over the stiched seam on the bottom to protect it better without affecting the barefoot feeling too much? Kevlar is tough, but I would expect that bottom seam to be the first thing to get snagged on something and split open. Anybody know if there is a warranty period?

kiteguy23
Frequent Poster

Postby kiteguy23 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:58 pm

150 is definitely way too much for these.

As you can see the bottom doesn't have a harder shell so they will shred up during a few session on some rock or shells, guaranteed. Don't wait your money and find a bootie with a thin shard shell at the bottom. I use the rip curl or oneil split toe booties and they are super strong and cost about 50.00.

lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster

Postby lieutenantglorp » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:04 pm

kiteguy23 wrote:150 is definitely way too much for these.

As you can see the bottom doesn't have a harder shell so they will shred up during a few session on some rock or shells, guaranteed. Don't wait your money and find a bootie with a thin shard shell at the bottom. I use the rip curl or oneil split toe booties and they are super strong and cost about 50.00.

I have the oneil split toe warm water booties, but I cannot wear them very long, especially when riding a directional with straps. My big toe starts to hurt after a while from jamming my feet into the straps repeatedly. This forces my feet deeper and more uncomfortably into the booties and there is no way to easily rectify it on the water. Having more flexibility in the bootie/ kitesock is the only answer without going barefoot. Unfortunately this will likely come at the price of bootie durability. Except for that, I believe this kitesock seems to be a step in the right direction.

dobiewan
Frequent Poster

Postby dobiewan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:40 pm

Here is another option. I haven't tried these myself but they are supposed to be extremely comfortable. Don't know how they will hold up, but worth a second look.
Ken
http://www.isthmussailboards.com/prodin ... ber=AT3322

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:15 pm

bought these, very good on shells, glass, sharp stuff but zero tolerance to abrasion, very comfy though but they were crap after 3 rides since we have rocks on the shore and at the bottom. Great for surf riders who hit coral bits at the bottom or the whole reef but then your feet might not be the only body part at risk. I think I saw they changed supplier... I bought the 5 toes Vibram one... not as soft but very very good.

sfpete
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay area
Style: stayin' alive

Postby sfpete » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Try Vooties. Google it.

Progression
Rare Poster

Postby Progression » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:23 pm

dobiewan wrote:Here is another option. I haven't tried these myself but they are supposed to be extremely comfortable. Don't know how they will hold up, but worth a second look.
Ken
http://www.isthmussailboards.com/prodin ... ber=AT3322
I use these All the atan boots are very nice. bit slippery on your board but you don't feel to disconnected

Return to “Kitesurfing”