Been thanked: 0

Rista Fins - Kite Race

Postby thehand » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:25 pm

Shaper - Paolo Rista ----> www.ristafins.com
http://vimeo.com
Attachments
IMG_2087e.jpg
IMG_2087e.jpg (91.21 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
Last edited by thehand on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rabidric
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Rista Board / Fins

Postby Rabidric » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:13 am

very cool footage. :thumb:
very. 8)

thehand
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby thehand » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:39 am

Attachments
IMG_1978e.jpg
IMG_1978e.jpg (103.95 KiB) Viewed 3306 times

unemati
Rare Poster

Postby unemati » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Only fins or new board also? What kite was used in video? Looks similar to Naish Charger, but the bar was not naish.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:00 pm

unemati wrote:Only fins or new board also? What kite was used in video? Looks similar to Naish Charger, but the bar was not naish.

looks like only fins...the kite was definitely a charger..see the geo tech on the LE...the dacron material on the struts...definitely naish...I'm guessing a proto of the new chargers coming out right now...the board? Maybe a proto of next years venturi (might have a different name who knows) board? Looks killer though. :-)

Awesome filming. I'm guessing the red camera?

ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider

Postby ktouhey » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:18 am

that's me in the first picture.
That photo is from between races during the 2010 Squamish (Canada) race series last summer.

The board is a custom that Paolo Rista made for me last spring. It's somewhat similar to the 2011 Venturi, but bigger (I'm a big dude). It's very very fast and easy to ride. The board in the video is an evolved version on that one. But he isn't producing boards.
The other shot is actually a friend riding my older Rista board (which was one of Bruno's boards before that).

yes, that's a prototype charger.

Paolo really can make some kick ass race gear. Unfortunately he's not making boards any more,
but he is making fast fins that anyone can get and that will work in production & custom boards. www.ristafins.com

ktouhey
Medium Poster

Postby ktouhey » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:20 am

new Tech Talk video.
check out the 'order fins' section of www.RistaFins.com

Rabidric
Frequent Poster

Postby Rabidric » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:16 am

EXCELLENT video, again! :thumb:
THAT is how you communicate your designs to your customers, and hands down better than a 1-2 paragraph sales blurb, which is about as much as we get from other board/fin manufacturers.

This video may have swayed me from getting the north race fins i was intending, and maybe ordering some of these instead. (North take note, you have about a month to come up with something more than a thumbnail photo of your race fins...hehe)

Perhaps Paolo would like to contribute in this thread? Somebody tell him to get on here, i got questions! :naughty:

- the recommended fin size combos-> bigger board equals bigger fins; but what about nuking conditions? At what point in terms of windspeed say, does a 70cm wide board start to benefit from 38cm main fins instead of 42-44cm? or does boardsize issues trump conditions regardless?

-Also, does the length ratio of front/back fins not depend on the fin box positioning choices offered by the [production] board manufacturer. Some boards (monaro v3) seem to have larger back fin than front fins. What advice do you have on this?

please please come on here and talk to your potential customers. I think you would get a very positive response in this here, civilised , kiterace-forum! I think you made a good commercial choice to focus on fins now that box-rule production boards are a reality. You can quite easily scale up to supply a wide customer base internationally, and talking about your product here in this central international forum has got to be in your best interests. note, i recommend talk and discussion. Simple "pimping" or advertising in a forum post without further communication is just annoying, and risks alienating potential customers(edgewatersports.com :roll: )

(respect to A Koch , a prominent Edge rider, for getting on here and talking candidly about the kite he flies. I can confirm it has directly benefited ozone- I respect his opinion, experience and talent and his honest and not overhyped feedback in a few threads in this forum resonated with me and convinced me to take a serious look at the Edge, which after further research and a test, ended up with me ordering a pair, and deserting my prior longtime favourite kite brand, Naish. Also thanks to Alex Aguerra for participating on this forum and expanding user knowledge. The sport of Kiteracing definitely benefits.)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:41 am

ktouhey wrote:that's me in the first picture.
That photo is from between races during the 2010 Squamish (Canada) race series last summer.

The board is a custom that Paolo Rista made for me last spring. It's somewhat similar to the 2011 Venturi, but bigger (I'm a big dude). It's very very fast and easy to ride. The board in the video is an evolved version on that one. But he isn't producing boards.
The other shot is actually a friend riding my older Rista board (which was one of Bruno's boards before that).

yes, that's a prototype charger.

Paolo really can make some kick ass race gear. Unfortunately he's not making boards any more,
but he is making fast fins that anyone can get and that will work in production & custom boards. www.ristafins.com
..but he is making boards for Naish.,

The video is high quality!!

ktouhey
Medium Poster

Postby ktouhey » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:36 am

Naish is making the 2011 Venturi which Paolo Rista designed, so in that respect yes, you can get one of his boards as a Naish production.

only saying that he is not doing a line of production and/or custom race boards himself.

to be honest, I think with the shift to production rules coming in 2012 (or earlier), the real difference on the course will be in the fins, and how they work with the boards. The cool thing is that you can get a pretty damn good production board now, that with the right fins, kites and bar setup, can be competitive.

Return to “Kitesurfing”