ESPguitarist
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Total newbie!

Postby ESPguitarist » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:28 am

Hey guys,

I'm very glad to have found this sport. I was driving across the san mateo bridge yesterday and saw all the kiters and it looked like so much fun! I have a few questions though about setting up a gear package. There's just so many options I don't know where to start.

So I'm starting lessons tomorrow and really excited, but right now kind of put off by the cost of everything. I don't have any gear whatsoever, so what do I need? I know I'll need a board, kite, lines, control bar, harness, wetsuit. What else? Just googling everything so far I'm looking at $2000. That's a lot of money. That's new though. Do you recommend buying used? And what's the best kite for a beginner?

Thanks for any advice

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Total newbie!

Postby Ned Divine » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:47 am

Welcome to the sport! My advice is to do your lessons with rented gear like almost everyone else (your instructor should normally provide it) and parallel to your lessons you will inevitably discuss the issue of gear with your instructor. Once you have managed your first sessions staying upwind you will be at a point to choose your gear. At that point, kiteforum advice will be more useful with closed questions ("is the "KiteBrand 10m2" kite OK for this sort of use, is this price ok etc"). Open questions on what kite is ok for this sort of use result in interesting but very diverse advice, you won't know who to listen to..! Enjoy your lessons! Follow all safety rules! :thumb:
PS It is not necessary to spend 2000 for your first gear, you will realise this yourself very soon.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:49 am

Welcome to the sport! :thumb:

kitecozumel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: all Cozumel locations
Favorite Beaches: anywhere with wind and waves
Style: professional
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby kitecozumel » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:41 pm

Take advice from your kite instructor , check what other kiters use/wear in the area you'll be kiting, summer's coming , good time to learn the sport :thumb:
You don't need any gear to start with, the lesson should provide all gear needed...

Enoch
Rare Poster

Postby Enoch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:07 am

Hi ESPguitarist,
Welcome to the kite forum. I am new in this forum and new in kitting and found this forum very informative. I am looking for some tips for beginners. Any input will be appreciated.

olmos park personal trainer
Last edited by Enoch on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:33 am

1. lessons
2. buy something used and learn more on it
3. after a while you want something newer, then go to a demo event and try different gear and decide.

Welcome and enjoy!

Return to “Kitesurfing”