Eletric Kite Inflation

Forum for kitesurfers
SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Eletric Kite Inflation

Postby SBBeachbum » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:54 pm

robertovillate wrote: When you are running tires at 150-200mph the temperature of the tires is very hot and regular "air" changes pressure while nitrogen will not. This makes a huge difference in handling and safety.
pV/T = constant . That means that when you change the temperature you either have to change pressure or volume with it. (Ever watched a burnout at a drag race?) Its called a law and the Sheriff said that nitrogen has to obey it ............

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:07 pm

SBBeachbum wrote:
robertovillate wrote: When you are running tires at 150-200mph the temperature of the tires is very hot and regular "air" changes pressure while nitrogen will not. This makes a huge difference in handling and safety.
pV/T = constant . That means that when you change the temperature you either have to change pressure or volume with it. (Ever watched a burnout at a drag race?) Its called a law and the Sheriff said that nitrogen has to obey it ............
So does Homer.

Marty
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Marty » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:19 am

spork wrote:I went to your website to check out prices on your super-awesome kitepump. Couldn't find it. Must be too new. I'd like to rep this innovative new product in the U.S. - is that a possibility?
At the top of the page, ORDERS is the line item I clicked,
Took me to this price and order page.

http://www.boatstogo.com/electric_pump.asp

Looks like they are a boat shop located in Miami.

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:31 am

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/18v_o ... tools/P730

works well can set automatic shut off at any PSI.
take about the time it take me to undo my lies to pump up kite
works of cordless drill battery

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 am

Marty wrote:
spork wrote:I went to your website to check out prices on your super-awesome kitepump. Couldn't find it. Must be too new. I'd like to rep this innovative new product in the U.S. - is that a possibility?
At the top of the page, ORDERS is the line item I clicked,
Took me to this price and order page.

http://www.boatstogo.com/electric_pump.asp

Looks like they are a boat shop located in Miami.
My comment was directed at the Briskites LeafBlower(tm) kitepump. But the boatstogo kitepump does look quite nice also.

As it happens, I've repaired and modified probably a few dozen of the Scoprega pumps. I'd love to see either company offer a pump without the automated stuff. Just a toggle switch for off-low-high pressure, and a pressure gauge. I'd also love to have a source of repair parts.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:57 am

SBBeachbum wrote:
not all gases obey boyle's law for instance, no2 nitrogen dioxide does NOT obey boyles law what happens is that there is a complicated process where some of the no2 becomes n2o4 so that the pressure remains constant.

However, no2 is not used to fill tires because your tires would catch on fire instantly from the inside it's much worse than regular oxygen plus its toxic.

nitrogen is a cheap non-flammable gas and unless you think your kite will catch on fire from the inside you do not need to inflate it with nitrogen.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:29 am

edt wrote:
SBBeachbum wrote:no2 nitrogen dioxide does NOT obey boyles law what happens is that there is a complicated process where some of the no2 becomes n2o4 so that the pressure remains constant.
Now that's some crazy shit! How constant does it remain?
unless you think your kite will catch on fire from the inside you do not need to inflate it with nitrogen.
I've personally never worried about my kite catching fire from the inside (yeah - I'm the kind of guy that lives on the edge and takes chances). I've always found that air works nicely.

I once had to inflate it by mouth on the water. It took a long time, and I was unable to produce Nitrogen (but I imagine it had a higher than average CO2 content).

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:50 am

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:00 am

SBBeachbum wrote:(Ever watched a burnout at a drag race?)
You mean how the tyres deform due to inertia? Derp.

I'm not looking to reignite the shit-storm but ...
spork wrote:Let's compare apples and apples. How do you think dry air compares with dry Nitrogen for pressure stability?
... I think dry air is irrelevant in this discussion. Or rather, moist air is relevant ...

For a DIY inflation system using a bottle of compressed gas, a reasonable assumption would be that it would be filled up from a common-or-garden compressor and would be full of ... regular air, water vapour and all.

What I want to know is - will filling up a kite's delicate bladder with a shot of compressed air be harmful in anyway?

I've seen guys fill kites with a compressor at shops etc so SURELY the answer is yes ...?

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:09 am

Kamikuza wrote:... I think dry air is irrelevant in this discussion. Or rather, moist air is relevant ...
Nonsense. If you're going to compare air with Nitrogen, compare both dry. You're not going to compress and dry your own Nitrogen - are you? So compare air from a dive shop with Nitrogen from a welding shop. I'll bet the air will be cheaper ($3 - $7 for a 3000 psi fill of a full tank), and work every bit as well as the Nitrogen.

The point was that Nitrogen had all these magical properties. It doesn't.

Return to “Kitesurfing”