Local Beach: Barcelona
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Eletric Kite Inflation

Postby christophebcn » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:04 am

@gozokiteboarding

with the Ryobi pump, do you need to switch hose between low pressure/high volume stage and then high pressure or can the 'low pressure' side handle 8PSI?

EDIT:Just saw that the 'low pressure' side goes up to 40psi... :thumb:

Thanks
Last edited by christophebcn on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:41 am

edt wrote:not all gases obey boyle's law for instance, no2 nitrogen dioxide does NOT obey boyles law what happens is that there is a complicated process where some of the no2 becomes n2o4 so that the pressure remains constant.
Note that Boyle's law (pV=k) applies where temperature and amount (i.e number of molecules of gas - not mass) are constant. If a reaction occurs in which the total number of molecules of gas is reduced, the Ideal Gas Law still works. It's not that the gas doesn't obey Boyle's Law, but that Boyle's law applies to a specific set of circumstances, which which doesn't match this one. Isn't physics fun?
ronnie wrote:
I would have enjoyed this video more if the young lady in the bikini and the Daisy Duke shorts had pumped up the kite with a conventional kite pump.

Ergo, normal kite pumps rock. The end.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Mr_Weetabix wrote:I would have enjoyed this video more if the young lady in the bikini and the Daisy Duke shorts had pumped up the kite with a conventional kite pump.

Ergo, normal kite pumps rock. The end.
Win. Thread is closed. I'm sure the other beach users will continue to enjoy my bobbing buttocks as much as I enjoy the mental image of the same from the young lady in the vid.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:29 pm

Kamikuza wrote: Win. Thread is closed.
Yup - that observation seems to be as accurate as all the claims you make about Nitrogen having magical properties.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:40 pm

spork wrote:
Yup - that observation seems to be as accurate as all the claims you make about Nitrogen having magical properties.
Back pain - it's God's way of saying "You're a cunt".

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
spork wrote:
Back pain - it's God's way of saying "You're a cunt".
Childish insults - it's your way of saying "I can't make any valid points"

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Thought you'd have a better comeback than 'childish insults' ... I'm disappointed :(

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:11 pm

plummet wrote:Lets go all silly. How about inflating your kite with helium??? lets forget that helium is as expesive as hell and consider the performance advantage. the lighter your kite is the better it performs. therefore a helium pumped kite should have awesome performance.

I wonder if it would float in the air unassisted by the wind?
its easy enough to do the calculations ps lets use hydrogen instead because then

when your kite hindenbergs it can REALLY hindenberg

weight of air at 1 stp is 1.2 grams per liter
weight of hydrogen at 1 stp is .09 grams per liter (half as much as helium)

1.2 - .09 = 1.11 grams of lift per liter

i know my pump has 4 liters and a medium sized kite will take about 35 pumps to losely inflate or 140 liters for about 150 grams or 1/3 of a pound or 0.15 kilos of lift which means not even bothering to correct for pumping up the kite to 8psi, we can already see that

NO WAY will it float.

inflating with hydrogen or helium it doesn't matter, will have no noticeable effect on either lift or performances kites weigh a few pounds and 0.15 kilos just wont be enough to make a difference (actually after you pump it up to 8psi it will be only 0.05 kilos of lift or minuscule two ounces of lift if inflated with hydrogen is which twice as light as helium)

I was thinking the same way as you it would be cool if your kite floated by itself but the calculations soundly disprove that idea. unfortunate.

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:55 pm

Vinny wrote:If you are too lazy to punp a kite manually you really need to question whether kiting is the right sport for you. Maybe darts or snooker or scuba diving would be better pastimes to pursue.
I broke my back at 4 places and the doctor told me that I'd be lucky if I could still walk: Iam kitesurfing; mogul skiing, still riding bikes etc... but pumping a kite really hurts the lower part of the back so If I can have something that will save me some pain I will use it for sure.

If I didn't have any back problems I wouldn't put 200$ on an electric pump when I can use the one that comes with the kite.

BTW I have ordered a saturn digital electric air pump that is good up to 12 psi. I will place a review as soonj as I have used it a couple of times. 165$ can

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby C Johnson » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:31 pm

nice!

looking forward to hearing what you think about the Saturn.

agreed regular pumps work great if your body can handle using them. listen to what your body tells you though. if it hurts its probably not good.

I 2nd Kamikuza's comments about spork.

Return to “Kitesurfing”