Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

F-one Bandit 4 2011 Problems with safety and relaunch

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
doublerumandcoke
Frequent Poster
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:57 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: F-one Bandit 4 2011 Problems with safety and relaunch

Postby doublerumandcoke » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:55 pm

by the way guys what your general opinion on alternatives to the FONE bandit ? I'm looking for really good quality stuff with a proper bar , with well engineered safaty releases, kites that relaunch and flag properly and with similiar characteristics - power / boost etc to the Bandit ?

Patrick



Patrick
SS Rally is a delta, very responsive and not heavy on the bar. Comp stick flags on 1 line, easy to pack down on . Relaunches in a fart of wind. 12 should be as big as you need as its so fast. The 14 gets you maybe 2 knots but not worth thr trasde off as its way slower and 27m not 23m lines.
I'm sure there are other deltas that might be comparable but alot have this crappy "flags on front 2 lines" system which sucks, or a pointless 5th line.

DRC

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:11 am
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Puerto Rico

Re: F-one Bandit 4 2011 Problems with safety and relaunch

Postby jrfiol » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:23 am

doublerumandcoke wrote:
by the way guys what your general opinion on alternatives to the FONE bandit ? I'm looking for really good quality stuff with a proper bar , with well engineered safaty releases, kites that relaunch and flag properly and with similiar characteristics - power / boost etc to the Bandit ?

Patrick



Patrick
SS Rally is a delta, very responsive and not heavy on the bar. Comp stick flags on 1 line, easy to pack down on . Relaunches in a fart of wind. 12 should be as big as you need as its so fast. The 14 gets you maybe 2 knots but not worth thr trasde off as its way slower and 27m not 23m lines.
I'm sure there are other deltas that might be comparable but alot have this crappy "flags on front 2 lines" system which sucks, or a pointless 5th line.

DRC


I fly the Rally 14M, and have to say that its solid. all i need is a little wind to go. 185lbs, darko 135.

it relaunches real easy, and is super stable in the air. loops really fast, has a little delay on the bar (which i like).

I have access to the Fones all the time, and have to say I never have problems relaunching in light winds. And the Fone kites are really nice to fly. Maybe you need diff bar? try techniques that were posted, cause the kite is one of the best in the market. Once you change kite, you will find problems with new. Its a game of trade offs really.

happy kiting!

btw, the guys in the video didn't drop their kites, maybe that is the trick.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:53 pm

Re: F-one Bandit 4 2011 Problems with safety and relaunch

Postby tomatkins » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:33 pm

    jrfiol wrote:
    doublerumandcoke wrote:
    by the way guys what your general opinion on alternatives to the FONE bandit ? I'm looking for really good quality stuff with a proper bar , with well engineered safaty releases, kites that relaunch and flag properly and with similiar characteristics - power / boost etc to the Bandit ?

    Patrick



    Patrick
    SS Rally is a delta, very responsive and not heavy on the bar. Comp stick flags on 1 line, easy to pack down on . Relaunches in a fart of wind. 12 should be as big as you need as its so fast. The 14 gets you maybe 2 knots but not worth thr trasde off as its way slower and 27m not 23m lines.
    I'm sure there are other deltas that might be comparable but alot have this crappy "flags on front 2 lines" system which sucks, or a pointless 5th line.

    DRC


    I fly the Rally 14M, and have to say that its solid. . Once you change kite, you will find problems with new. Its a game of trade offs really.
    btw, the guys in the video didn't drop their kites, maybe that is the trick.



    As an experienced Rally user, did you find that, at first, you had any problem with the kite having a tendency to "invert" (turn inside-out)? If so, what did you learn to do in order to prevent this "inversion" from happening?

    jrfiol
    Frequent Poster
    Posts: 366
    Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:11 am
    Kiting since: 2009
    Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
    Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
    Style: waverider, freestyle
    Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.
    Brand Affiliation: None
    Location: Puerto Rico

    Re: F-one Bandit 4 2011 Problems with safety and relaunch

    Postby jrfiol » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:41 am

    the only time that the kite has gotten tangled to the point that i could not relaunch was during a surf session at shacks. I down-looped as i turned into the wave and forgot the kite. It hit the water as i slid down the wave towards it. needless to say, the lines got super tangled, had to wrap them and drag the kite to shore (wind did most the work in getting me back).

    the rally does not really have the tendency to flip. i would say it is a real stable kite that behaves when is dropped in the water, and almost relaunches itself.

    i do own a kite that does tend to flip and turn inside out, it is the Liquid Force Havoc 12M from 2009. I mention this because it was my first new kite, and i was learning then. I felt the kite hindenberg'ed (flew over my head) too much. Also, a couple of times when i dropped it, it would flip on itself. I would have to kite back with inverted lines or have to self rescue.

    Nowadays i love this kite. Its not stable by any means, but i figured out that if i am lighter on the bar, it doesn't fly over my head as much, and if i drop it i am now able to relaunch pretty easily.

    if you are having trouble with your rally flipping on itself i would check your rigging, cause it aint supposed to happen. make sure that if your kite is in the water with teh trailing edge in the water you pull on the center lines to make it hot-launch, or turn around where it has the leading edge on the water and then use either one of the outside lines to walk it to the edge of the window and then launch it.

    also, rig your SS kites with the following setting:

    Outside line, outside knot
    center line, center knot

    i wrote a lot, i hope i make some sense

    Sorry, i just realized how much i swirved from the original post, apologies to the nasties!

    bonadio
    Rare Poster
    Posts: 4
    Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:49 pm
    Kiting since: 2010
    Local Beach: São Paulo - guarapiranga
    Brand Affiliation: None

    Re: F-one Bandit 4 2011 Problems with safety and relaunch

    Postby bonadio » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:00 am

    Hello

    I was able to try today the tip that Julian Hosp gave me to relaunch on light wind by pulling both back lines. It works great, it is very easy to do and the kite turns very easy.

    It really solve my problem of relaunch the bandit 4 14m on light wind.

    I hope that can help others too.

    []s

    FL Kiteboarder
    Frequent Poster
    Posts: 407
    Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:23 pm
    Kiting since: 2007
    Local Beach: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
    Favorite Beaches: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
    Anne's Beach, Islamorada, FL USA
    Style: Freeriding
    Gear: |
    Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
    |
    2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179
    Brand Affiliation: None
    Location: Ft. Pierce, FL, USA
    Contact:

    Re: F-one Bandit 4 2011 Problems with safety and relaunch

    Postby FL Kiteboarder » Mon May 09, 2011 3:58 am


    andersand
    Rare Poster
    Posts: 1
    Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:23 am
    Kiting since: 2005
    Local Beach: SV pynten
    Favorite Beaches: Cabo de la vela, Colombia,
    Prea, Brazil
    Style: Oldschool
    Gear: Naish Torch
    Brand Affiliation: None

    Re: F-one Bandit 4 2011 Problems with safety and relaunch

    Postby andersand » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:34 pm

    Check out the Core GTS. The style of the kite is quite similar to F-one bandit, but the bar ought to be better.

    Carsten

    dt73775
    Medium Poster
    Posts: 145
    Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:01 am
    Kiting since: 2011
    Local Beach: Alameda, Sherman
    Gear: Bandit 4
    Brand Affiliation: None

    Re: F-one Bandit 4 2011 Problems with safety and relaunch

    Postby dt73775 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:53 am

    I see all the posted problems of the Bandit kite , Velcro QR, Yellow ball stopper limits de-power, Hard to relaunch in light wind. What makes the Bandit such a popular kite? . I heard that it was fast, powerful, and a trip to ride unhooked.

    eldadgold
    Very Frequent Poster
    Posts: 1228
    Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:09 pm
    Kiting since: 0
    Brand Affiliation: None
    Location: israel

    Re: F-one Bandit 4 2011 Problems with safety and relaunch

    Postby eldadgold » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:03 pm

    dt73775 wrote:I see all the posted problems of the Bandit kite , Velcro QR, Yellow ball stopper limits de-power, Hard to relaunch. in light wind. What makes the Bandit such a popular kite? . I heard that it was fast, powerful, and a trip to ride unhooked.

    The QR works great. The velcro for me is a big plus-no maintenance at all.
    If you try the kite you will understand imediatly why people go with the bandit and never go back to anything else. Regarding relaunch- every kite is more difficult relaunching in lighter winds. It's all about a little technic. Yesterday I relaunched the B4 14 in 12k no problemo.


    Return to “Kitesurfing”

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], HissTec, MSNbot Media, Nem0, rmaxwell and 13 guests