Slingshot Rally

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
jan-kite-man
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot Rally

Postby jan-kite-man » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:53 am

Just want to share a first impression on my new 12m Rally. I am kiting for about 10 years of which the last two years RPM's, now switched to 8 and 12m Rally since i noticed that i like riding in the waves a lot whilst not being a hardcore freestyler. So i sold the RPM and bought Rally without testing them..So went to the beach, sunny and dry weather but only 12 knots of wind, my weight is 81 kh and board is Acid 39 with so i thought that i would only play on the beach. Pumped the 12 and launched it, first impression was that i had to get used to the looks in the air, but the feeling form the beginning was straight away very nice. Felt some grunt so gave it a try. Well i could kite and keeping hight reasonably. The rally feels compacted and looks smaller as the 12m RPM, but more depower available on Rally, bar pressure medium to light(clear statement with 12 knots), turning speed somewhat faster than RPM. Wind picked up a bit and tried some hangtime, well this is for sure better than RPM and easier to find the release spot. Also liked the power of the Rally when turning in jibes, it keeps pulling you, no extra steering required :D

So i am glad with my Rally's, going to Fuerteventura next week and hoping to test both more intensive.

Jan-kite-man

mcallisterkiter
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot Rally

Postby mcallisterkiter » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:12 pm

nice! I am super happy with my 14 rally. It has a huge range. Starts for me around 10 mph and goes up to 30 no problem. I still love my RPMs too. Here is a snowkite video that I made with my Rally. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF1Sc0PR6NY

jan-kite-man
Rare Poster

Postby jan-kite-man » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:58 am

Well here is an update about my set of Rally's (8m and 12 m). I used the 8m on wind in Fuerteventura, gusty conditions in Sotavento between 18 and 30 knots. The 8 m is doing this with ease. It is a real fun kite, easy accesible, very easy relaunch, low end super and high end not being discovered by me..is promising. For good hangtime keep your bar down so line tension maximum.

The 12 m Rally..what can i say, my previous RMP sizes ( 8 and 12 m also) had just a very little overlap, now with the rally's i am having a very good overlap. This 12m rally i can ride from 12 to 24 knots without really depowering, hangtime is getting scary. Ofcourse in waves with 24 knots a better choice is the 8m but that is for other reasons then that i can't handle a 12m with that wind.

Not to forget the upwind features...just a lovely kite for super good times of oldfashion fun.

mcallisterkiter wrote:nice! I am super happy with my 14 rally. It has a huge range. Starts for me around 10 mph and goes up to 30 no problem. I still love my RPMs too. Here is a snowkite video that I made with my Rally. Enjoy

Attachments
Zonsverduistering 462.jpg

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:48 pm

jan-kite-man wrote:...Pumped the 12 and launched it, first impression was that i had to get used to the looks in the air, but the feeling form the beginning was straight away very nice. ...
I agree with you 100%. I switched from 2 years on SS REV2s to Rallys this season. The hardest thing to get used to was the look up in the sky....I missed my wing tips!!! Where did my wing tips go? :lol: Kite flies great, though, so I have come to grips with my delta.

Anyway, I'm loving the quiver and curious to see what they do with it in 2012. I hope they stay with the Fuel/RPM/Rally line up for a few years. Different riders on all three models, all stoked.
mcallisterkiter wrote:nice! I am super happy with my 14 rally. It has a huge range. Starts for me around 10 mph and goes up to 30 no problem. I still love my RPMs too. Here is a snowkite video that I made with my Rally. Enjoy

That is a killer video! Thanks for sharing that. Looks like you have an epic riding spot there with varied terrain, easy road access, and superb powder! Way to thread the needle on those trees. :thumb:

Did you guys fracture that avalanche on the small ridge or just discover it?

jan-kite-man
Rare Poster

Postby jan-kite-man » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:51 am

Another pic

CaptainArgh wrote:
jan-kite-man wrote:...Pumped the 12 and launched it, first impression was that i had to get used to the looks in the air, but the feeling form the beginning was straight away very nice. ...
I agree with you 100%. I switched from 2 years on SS REV2s to Rallys this season. The hardest thing to get used to was the look up in the sky....I missed my wing tips!!! Where did my wing tips go? :lol: Kite flies great, though, so I have come to grips with my delta.

Anyway, I'm loving the quiver and curious to see what they do with it in 2012. I hope they stay with the Fuel/RPM/Rally line up for a few years. Different riders on all three models, all stoked.

That is a killer video! Thanks for sharing that. Looks like you have an epic riding spot there with varied terrain, easy road access, and superb powder! Way to thread the needle on those trees. :thumb:

Did you guys fracture that avalanche on the small ridge or just discover it?
Attachments
Zonsverduistering 397.jpg

stefarius
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ijsselmeer
Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind

Postby stefarius » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:25 pm

I tested the Ralley 9m in tarifa. Very allround kite, great wave characteristics but for the freestyle it surpriced me. Great pop and boost.

More about the test report with 24 characteristics: http://www.kitefinder.com/en/kites/922/ ... rally-2011
Attachments
rally slingshot .jpg
rally slingshot .jpg (17.35 KiB) Viewed 5897 times

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:41 am

stefarius wrote:I tested the Ralley 9m in tarifa.
Rally does not come in 9M.
Last edited by jkrug on Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakaunman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Maumee Bay, OH
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with wind!
Style: Up and riding
Gear: Thruster 16m and working on a full quiver

Postby dakaunman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Has anyone had problems with the rally's leading edge loosing it's shape when doing powered moves? I did a demo of a 14 meter when I was down in hatteras last week and every time I sent it through the window on a loop or transition, the leading edge would collapse between the bridal attachment points. I have RPMs and I am used to pumping up the leading edge real hard so I don't think that under-inflation was the problem. I way 190 lbs and I like to ride powered but I haven't ever had a kite fold in the leading edge quite like this kite did. Anyway, just wanted to see if others have had the same problem or was it just me?

not on board
Rare Poster

Postby not on board » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:46 pm

About your leading edge collapsing. My Rev did that only when under heavy load like a kite loop. Pretty much every time. Really scary to see. Tried everything but it ended up that the center 2 bridel points on each side were a bit slack when really under load. I fixed this by lengthening the 3rd bridel line by adding a 2 inch pigtail. It was easier to lenghten the one point that was most taught then trying to shorten the 2 that were too long. Anyway that fixed it. Loved the kite after that.

dakaunman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Maumee Bay, OH
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with wind!
Style: Up and riding
Gear: Thruster 16m and working on a full quiver

Postby dakaunman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:30 pm

not on board wrote:About your leading edge collapsing. My Rev did that only when under heavy load like a kite loop. Pretty much every time. Really scary to see. Tried everything but it ended up that the center 2 bridel points on each side were a bit slack when really under load. I fixed this by lengthening the 3rd bridel line by adding a 2 inch pigtail. It was easier to lenghten the one point that was most taught then trying to shorten the 2 that were too long. Anyway that fixed it. Loved the kite after that.
Interesting! This sounds like the same issue for sure. It looked like there was extra stress on just a couple of the bridle connection points and others were slack, causing the leading edge to flutter and loose shape. It was not a pretty sight at all but sounds like it might be fixable. Otherwise I loved the kite! Thanks for the info.

Return to “Reviews”