Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo (Rise) -or- Ozone (Edge/Catalyst)...Decisions...

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
norriegga
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Toronto, Keswick
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ocean Rodeo (Rise) -or- Ozone (Edge/Catalyst)...Decisions...

Postby norriegga » Mon May 16, 2011 5:31 pm

I'm almost ready to make an investment in a water kite quiver...Based on the dealers I have locally (in Canada), I'm undecided between:

Ocean Rodeo Rise (9/10m and 12/13m) - I am 185lbs so leaning toward the 10-13 combo

Ozone Edge or Catalyst (10m and 13m) - I am transitioning from snowkiting to the water and I own (and love) my 7-11m Ozone Frenzy combo.

Here in Canada, the Ocean Rodeos are at a slightly better price point and I hear they are bomber in terms of construction. What I am looking for as a newbie on the water is a nice balance between bar pressure (light enough not to kill my arms) and enough feel for me to learn to better judge the kites position without always looking up. And also, stable enough so the kite will naturally sit at zenith in the absence of bar input, for long enough for me to get my feet in position for a water start.

Other than that, I am looking for a kite that progresses with me and my skills...which are pretty much non-existent on water. I found snowkiting an order or two easier by comparison...

Any thoughts, opinions, are much appreciated!

Life_Is_Awesome
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Keho, Alberta, Canada

Re: Ocean Rodeo (Rise) -or- Ozone (Edge/Catalyst)...Decision

Postby Life_Is_Awesome » Mon May 16, 2011 7:52 pm

I can't speak to the Ozone kites you mention since I haven't flown them, but I have tried the Ocean Rodeo Rise (10M) and it is a great kite. Bomber construction for sure and also nice bar pressure and responsive. Great depower and stable. A lot of guys use them out here, even the very experienced kiters, so seems that it's a good choice from "zero to hero".

Where in Canada are you? I'm in Alberta. If you're looking for a good OR dealer I can recommend Kitesource.ca.

norriegga
Rare Poster

Postby norriegga » Mon May 16, 2011 10:14 pm

Well, I live and work in Toronto, but I am a born and bred Lethbridge boy and Alberta through and through! I got one of my two foils at kitesource and I've been hounding Jeff down there as I weigh out this very important and sizeable investment! From what I hear the Ocean Rodeos are great kites. I just wish I had more opportunity to demo different makes, sizes and shapes.
Last edited by norriegga on Tue May 17, 2011 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

pratt
Rare Poster

Postby pratt » Mon May 16, 2011 10:56 pm

Just bought a quiver of 2011 edges and cant say enough good things about them. I have ridden a lot of kites and have never felt as confident as i do under the new edge. They cost a bit more but i am extremely pleased with my investment.

If you like to go fast and jump this could be your huckleberry.

my 2 cents.

-DP

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue May 17, 2011 1:47 am

Have also flown a few different kites over the years but have been sticking to Ocean Rodeo for the last few. If your in Canada its a no brainer for the ease and comprehensive nature of their after sales support. On Razors and couldn't be more stoked, and they wont cost you more than most.

These were one of the first truly perfect pump and play kites I have ever had. No fiddling, no nuisances, no detail missing. Perfect trim out of the bag, Light, fast, ballsy and very intuitive. Had a gnarly gusty rainy 25-35 knot session on a 6m and surfboard yesterday that had me amazed at how much easy fun I was having. Completely comfy in utter chaos. Tons of power, Tons of control. I love that!

There are heaps of OR kites in Ontario. Play nice and offer enough beer and someone will let you have a go.

DimitriB
Rare Poster

Postby DimitriB » Tue May 17, 2011 9:56 am

OR for sure . The bar pressur of Rise is light enough, not tired but not so as not to know where is the kite. This combined with the quality, but mainly with the suuport offered by the OR there is no way you could not stay happy with your choice.

In the end do not forget that offer 30 days refund!

norriegga
Rare Poster

Postby norriegga » Tue May 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks for the advice...I think that the answer is Ocean Rodeo...and being a Canuck it feels good to support a homegrown product.

Return to “Reviews”